70922 - The Joker Manor

Sandwraith

2 minutes ago, petersjonny said:

How is this going to affect my Jokerlands? Thoughts?

Can't say how it will affect kids decisions on which to own, but as an AFOL this one takes the cake. Will look nicer on display and easier to move around and such (1 "piece" as opposed to 5 or 6). I almost picked up Jokerland for my own collection, but passed as it looked/felt too play oriented. This has a bit more display value imo, but the price still has me staying away, maybe %20 off.

4 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Can't say how it will affect kids decisions on which to own, but as an AFOL this one takes the cake. Will look nicer on display and easier to move around and such (1 "piece" as opposed to 5 or 6). I almost picked up Jokerland for my own collection, but passed as it looked/felt too play oriented. This has a bit more display value imo, but the price still has me staying away, maybe %20 off.

I bought Jokerland for the Batmobile, Starfire, and Beast Boy
1414332900340444843.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like a nice set, although derivative of a bunch of previous joker sets. Investment wise looks like Sea Cow 2.0. I think Sea Cow was a later release in that line too. Surprised to see sets still hitting for this movie. The Batman movie line is so watered down already. I suppose every line is though so why not? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Looks like a nice set, although derivative of a bunch of previous joker sets. Investment wise looks like Sea Cow 2.0. I think Sea Cow was a later release in that line too. Surprised to see sets still hitting for this movie. The Batman movie line is so watered down already. I suppose every line is though so why not? 

Sea Cow came like 1 month after release, not 9-ish.

Separately, I do not think that TLBM line would be watered down. Most sets are quite good and creative, definitely at least on the level of TLM sets. Three years ago this quality would have been considered outstanding. The problem is that general set quality increased so much in the recent years, that the bar to capture out appreciation has moved even higher. This creates a perception of oversaturation for the run-of-the-mill collector. I see this the reason behind LEGO's increased push for high piece count sets, to capture interest and generate hype, as well designed smaller sets are just too common now. Too bad that they are falling into the same trap, they can't just continue making larger and larger sets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, inversion said:

Separately, I do not think that TLBM line would be watered down. 

By watered down I meant there are just too many sets. I believe there are 18 sets not counting CMFs, polybags, and this new Joker Manor. This is on top of any super hero Batman sets out now. They are all good sets for the most part but with so many it's tough for one or two to stand out. Where is the investment winner in this line? I thought the target set had a chance but it's hanging around too long. 

Jurassic World had 5-6 sets? Most have been winners. I know that's not a lego movie but 18+ sets is Star Wars territory. Lego Batman ain't Star Wars. 

• Like 2

While the design is based on the structure in the movie, this also feels inspired by or at the least similar to that one humongous Joker's Funhouse MOC from a while back. Hopefully those new coaster track pieces are a good indicator of what we can expect to see from LEGO's fairground theme and perhaps some other sets as well.

• Like 2

this is a Joker-Land on steroids. 

I totally see how most kids will love it though. 

Only problem are 1) kids can't afford it and 2) i doubt many parents / grandparents will spend $270 for it.    It's too costly. 

Thus it will sell like , Joker-Land (even that had to be heavily discounted to move stock), Assault on Hoth and 1966 Batcave (all were dust collectors).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I was wondering if there is any option to motorize the roller-coaster using PF and some extra pieces perhaps.

Those custom roller coasters tend to use these links to pull the cars up to the top...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3711&name=Technic, Link Chain&category=[Technic, Link]#T=C

The picture is blurry, but this is an example.. You'd have to modify the track layout so you have a higher peak on one side so it can roll around completely to start over. And it would also depend on whether you can get those links under the cars and above the tracks.... or if you can tie into the single rails as done here.

Related image

• Like 1