Current MOC design programs

scatttcat

Question

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I was curious if anyone knew the top of the line (industry standard so to speak) of programs used for MOC's.

I know bricklink themselves has a program built in their website, and I have heard of Lego Digital Designer, LDraw and Mecabricks. I also believe I have heard AutoCAD used.

Just wanted to get some solid information on which one is the most popular out there right now. My main goal is obviously to create detailed instructions for my MOC. I work off of a MAC too if that has any significance to what programs I can or cannot use.

12 answers to this question

10 hours ago, CM4Sci said:

I use LDD and I render with Bluerender. Bluerender ROCKS.

To add to BlueRENDER being awesome, I also need to put in a huge plug for BluePRINT, which is the same development project, but is instead a free 3rd party app for creating OEM quality instructions from your LDD files. 

Edit: I'm on a Mac. 

Edited by Zelgazra

7 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

To add to BlueRENDER being awesome, I also need to put in a huge plug for BluePRINT, which is the same development project, but is instead a free 3rd party app for creating OEM quality instructions from your LDD files. 

Edit: I'm on a Mac. 

From what I saw they didnt look that good though?

You certainly have to put some effort into them. You have to 'build' them almost as much as you build the model. But with some effort you can come up with some pretty high quality looking results! I'm at work, otherwise I'd link up an example I've made.

I would love to see an example of it if you have the chance to link it! I was very curious about a program to create the instructions. I'm picky being a graphic designer.
I use LDD and I render with Bluerender. Bluerender ROCKS. Only downside is you can't render a transparent image which I think is the dumbest thing ever because I need to do that in order to create things like my fake sets.

So do you have to crop out the white background in Photoshop or something?

Also isn't LDD done with updates? Meaning new parts won't be brought in? Or am I mistaken?

My understanding was they'd continue adding parts, but no actual software updates... the tools are what they are, and sometimes leave a little to be desired. I'll link up my custom Blue Grocer PDF.

There was a bit of PS post production to clean a few things up... things that may have seen updates in the app since I created it in January or so.

Sweet, got home in time to catch the Edit. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/schoyau026cz7gx/BlueGrocer.pdf?dl=0

So, like any new program you might delve into, there's a bit of a learning curve to get your head around the various functions and requirements to come up with an end result like this. I had done a good bit of playing around with the program before I committed to creating this. Had I gone for a straight up colour swap I could have obviously used the original instructions and just placed blue where they placed green.... but I figured if I'm going to order all the pieces, I may as well go big or go home... so I added an additional ~1500 parts by detailing every floor of the interior.

I also decided that these instructions would be designed pretty exclusively for myself, so there's certain repetitions that you would see in an OEM manual that I've omitted.... repeat micro builds etc which I use call-outs for the first couple instances but then omit as I know what I'm building. You'll also note the whole manual is about 180 pages long for a 3k piece model.... I wanted it to truly be an "Advanced Model" and the only way to do that to a modular was add more content to each step, so some steps have 100+ parts. This is completely by design and is a choice you as the creator can make. When you create an LDD model and load it into Blueprint for the first time it will automatically divvy up the parts into somewhat nonsensical steps much like LDD's instructions. The difference from LDD is you can then drag and drop the parts from one step to another and customize the sequence in which the parts are placed, how many in a step, etc.

I use the call-out Submodel feature A LOT..... be aware of this feature when you're creating your LDD, and make liberal use of the Groups function in LDD to create a faster process in Blueprint. I've got a wealth of other information and tips regarding the use of the app, so if this is the route you end up going down feel free to hit me up for more info! Happy to share something, I'm not a big help on participating in the deals announcements and stuff, so if I can give back to the community somehow with my knowledge that'd be awesome! 

2nd Edit: Just for reference, between all the actual editing in the app, and then the post production, I probably sunk ~25-30 hours project time into that final product. That does not include any of the build time in LDD.

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

My understanding was they'd continue adding parts, but no actual software updates... the tools are what they are, and sometimes leave a little to be desired. I'll link up my custom Blue Grocer PDF.

There was a bit of PS post production to clean a few things up... things that may have seen updates in the app since I created it in January or so.

Sweet, got home in time to catch the Edit. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/schoyau026cz7gx/BlueGrocer.pdf?dl=0

So, like any new program you might delve into, there's a bit of a learning curve to get your head around the various functions and requirements to come up with an end result like this. I had done a good bit of playing around with the program before I committed to creating this. Had I gone for a straight up colour swap I could have obviously used the original instructions and just placed blue where they placed green.... but I figured if I'm going to order all the pieces, I may as well go big or go home... so I added an additional ~1500 parts by detailing every floor of the interior.

I also decided that these instructions would be designed pretty exclusively for myself, so there's certain repetitions that you would see in an OEM manual that I've omitted.... repeat micro builds etc which I use call-outs for the first couple instances but then omit as I know what I'm building. You'll also note the whole manual is about 180 pages long for a 3k piece model.... I wanted it to truly be an "Advanced Model" and the only way to do that to a modular was add more content to each step, so some steps have 100+ parts. This is completely by design and is a choice you as the creator can make. When you create an LDD model and load it into Blueprint for the first time it will automatically divvy up the parts into somewhat nonsensical steps much like LDD's instructions. The difference from LDD is you can then drag and drop the parts from one step to another and customize the sequence in which the parts are placed, how many in a step, etc.

I use the call-out Submodel feature A LOT..... be aware of this feature when you're creating your LDD, and make liberal use of the Groups function in LDD to create a faster process in Blueprint. I've got a wealth of other information and tips regarding the use of the app, so if this is the route you end up going down feel free to hit me up for more info! Happy to share something, I'm not a big help on participating in the deals announcements and stuff, so if I can give back to the community somehow with my knowledge that'd be awesome! 

2nd Edit: Just for reference, between all the actual editing in the app, and then the post production, I probably sunk ~25-30 hours project time into that final product. That does not include any of the build time in LDD.

Amazing information thank you so much and awesome work with the design!!

Once I dive more into it, I'll be sure to message you for any clarity / tips.

Thanks again! That was super helpful!!