Are you a completionist or not?

mauro23

Hi all,

an interesting question to all of us. 

Do you collect all sets from a particular theme or do you collect only the interesting sets for you from one line?

For me personally it differs:

1. When I "love" a theme then I try to have all of theme (e.g. Indiana Jones, Fantasy Era...)

2. When I only like a theme then I try to have all sets without the old sets that have been remade (e.g. Star Wars UCS without old X-Fighter/Snowspeeder or Winter Creator theme without 10199)

3. When I don't like a theme (to much) I am only buying sets that are wonderful and interesting for me (e.g. Temple of Arjitsu from Ninjago or the ships from Pirates of the Carribean)

Lets's discuss

Mauro

I get back into Lego only in the last couple of years, so it's hard to give a really definitive answer. I love the modulars and really want to complete them. I know that I will have to pay out the nose of GG and CC, hopefully when it comes time to buy them I can find them used.

I also love the SW theme especially the UCS set but I made the decision early on to skip all the smaller sets and only collect the USC sets that I really like. I decided to skip the Sandcrawler (wish I hadn't), AoH, and for now the new Death Star.

I have all the fairground themed sets (except the first carousel) and plan on getting all future sets. I also have a good number of the Winter Village sets and plan on buying Post Office, Bakery, and Cottage in the next year or two. 

I also have all the advanced model vehicles (except for the first Beetle), I plan on continuing to buy all sets from this theme. 

Finally, I collect some of the Ideas sets. I have Ecto1, Walle, and I will get the Saturn V when it becomes available. I am on the fence on GB Headquarters, 911 GT3, and the Disney Castle. 

I really like the Nexo Knights theme but sort of stayed away in the beginning because of the probable lack of appreciation in value. Then one by one they started hitting every clearance cycle and now I own every set except the ones that were just released in August. It's nice to have gotten an entire theme for 30-75% off. Even the battle packs went to 50% clearance at The Lego Store. I haven't built any of them. I sort of collect them and till I get the itch to build them they'll remain a pristine complete set. Who knows maybe I sell it all down the line for a massive profit. Only time will tell.

Technic flagships and Creator cars are my poisons of choice but I draw a line at trying to get the pre 2012 Technic sets I missed out on. When you have tens of thousands of parts you can pretty much build them from what you already have anyway. I´m not a fan of the VW Beetle V2.0 either but it may come my way at the right price.

I buy everything D2C, Speed Champions and the Minifigures series. Also non-skyline architecture. Maybe Brickheadz in the future.

The rest are sets that I deem interesting. Tend to buy small sets that have a good minifig selection or fit well into a LEGO city, like the City Square. Occasionally Technic flagships.

I think I am a conpletionist in my self-defined universe. I have a recognisable pattern of what I like, and I buy all of those.

14 minutes ago, inversion said:

I buy everything D2C, Speed Champions and the Minifigures series. Also non-skyline architecture. Maybe Brickheadz in the future.

The rest are sets that I deem interesting. Tend to buy small sets that have a good minifig selection or fit well into a LEGO city, like the City Square. Occasionally Technic flagships.

I think I am a conpletionist in my self-defined universe. I have a recognisable pattern of what I like, and I buy all of those.

I was thinking...am I really a completionist about anything?

Then you made me realize I am. Speed Champions. Love and have/will get every one of those. Also Modular Buildings. Although, I'm not a "first day" completionist...I'll wait to buy if there's time.

I am also an extensive polybag collector, but by no means a completionist (at least for all new polybags since I started) in that.

I have pretty bad "feeling" of not having all Star Wars UCS sets but I don't see much sense in keeping the old UCS Falcon as an example when a bigger and better one is coming out...

I think to keep both would mention to be a hardcore Star Wars collector which I am not, I only like all these UCS ships because they are really great LEGO models...

Yes....to some degree, we (my son and I) like to collect most of a theme.  However, last year, we decided to become more selective and at this point  we analyze a wave and in some cases just buy the minis (don't plan on buying the rathtar set for example, or the quadjumper).  But for the most part we have almost every Star Wars movie set since 2011.  I decided to skip buying clone wars and rebels sets since we have to draw the line somewhere.  This is just some of our minifigures from those sets that we put together for a "prequel" display.  I'm currently working on the OT display..

IMG_0256.JPG

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 8

Nope. Not at all. I keep a few random sets from bulk lots and the odd mini figure that I find interesting. I have purchased a total of 5 sets new to build...Mars Rover, Ecto 1, yellow submarine (thanks templar), Saturn V, and I opened and built Birds one night out of sheer moonshine induced boredom. Yes, I know those are all Cuusoo/Ideas but I have zero desire to pick up any of the other sets in that line other than for resale.

My LEGO craze was recently reborn when I had to help my son replace 1/2 (and most of his largest) LEGO sets after they were stolen during our most recent move.  Took six months for the moving company to reimburse us but he got his sets replaced and a new Sandcrawler out of it so he was happy.

Personally I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  But it is impossible to collect everything LEGO Star Wars and admittedly there is much I have no interest in collecting (mostly prequel stuff).  The sets that got my attention were the UCS.  Then I started getting into other sets as well.  So I pick and chose.  

For instance, I like starfighters.  I have most of the starfighters from the OT starting around 2012ish+ and a Tie Interceptor.  Also have Shuttle Tydirium, MF 75105 (missed earlier set,) AT-AT, AT-ST (*4, not including Battle of Endor AT-ST), etc.  Due to my love for starfighters I also collected every Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Interceptor - except the newest Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter w/hyperdrive 75191... kind of been waiting for a sale.

Otherwise, my first UCS set was Red Five.  I have since found a 7191 for my collection and I admit I'm torn which one I like more.  I have all the UCS ships issued since Red Five and am slowly collecting older sets when I find deals on them.  My most recent UCS purchase was a used B-Wing complete and in excellent condition for well under $200.  I recently purchased the new snowspeeder and I have to admit, I like it more than the old one so I'm no longer seeking the old one.  Probably my best UCS purchase was a partial Jedi Starfighter for around $40.  Another $40 and it was complete with instructions.  I would love to have a Y-Wing but with limited resources, there is no way I'm going to pay those prices for it.  However, with remakes being the name of the game lately, I can hope for a new one any time now.  Especially with them being so prominently featured in Rogue One.

I picked up my second ever technic set (first was a gift) the Porsche 911 GT3 RS.  I have to admit, I hope LEGO doesn't do another car like it because I'll have to buy it.

I do consider myself to have "completionist tendencies" But I consider this a good thing as it has resulted in my selling off about 75% of my personal build collection... Currently my must-buy themes are:

-Licensed Technic sets (of actual vehicles): MB Unimog, MB Arocs, Claas Xerion, Volvo L350F, Porsche, Volvo EW160E, BMW R1200GS

-Creator Expert Trains: Emerald Night, Maersk, Horizon Express (x2), Winter Holiday Train (2016)

-SW Advent Calendars

-Architecture Skylines

-Modular Buildings (GG onward...still planning to BL Cafe Corner and Market Street one day)

-SW UCS (2010 onward)

Of note, I do plan to start picking up the Creator Expert vehicle series as they are all still on the shelves.

• Like 2