10019 - Rebel Blockade Runner (what to look out for?)

Well I received some random, unexpected news today. One of my wife's co-workers is looking to unload a sealed (supposedly) 10019 Rebel Blockade Runner. The dude is a huge SW/scifi fan that has a good chunk of his house dedicated to various collectables...sadly very little Lego. Darn.

Anyways, he's looking to sell this set for a "reasonable price". The tentative plan for the Tantive is for me to head over to his place this weekend to take a look at the set and potentially make an offer (note to self: I should bring beer).

Is there anything I should look out for with a set of this age? Different productions runs? Colored vs black-and-white box?

What would you pay? Chances of a UCS set remake?

Watch this space...

Edited by eliminator

Incredible set, entirely worth the $1600-$1800 canucks for a nib.

Parts out to $2600 cdn new (including the unobtaniums of course)  but an impressive shelf sitter non-the-less.

if I remember correctly I think the outer box was colour and the inner box was b&w so you get both.  (the Canadian version had more text on the outside box)

IMO almost no chance of an equivalent USC re-release, though it did make an appearance in the recent movie so ya never know.

I wouldn't blink at $1200 cdn NIB and would only give a slight pause at $1400, would have to think a couple minutes at $1600. 

Edited by Thumper

So, somewhat of an update. I asked the seller to send me a quick photo before I drive 45min to his place to check it out. Here's what he sent me.

Supposedly it's still sealed and he is the original/first purchaser...specifically he bought it from the local TRU back in 2001.

Quick question, was there external clear plastic wrap on these sets when new? Or did he likely add this for protection? I don't recall such wrapping.

Tantive.jpg

24 minutes ago, eliminator said:

So, somewhat of an update. I asked the seller to send me a quick photo before I drive 45min to his place to check it out. Here's what he sent me.

Supposedly it's still sealed and he is the original/first purchaser...specifically he bought it from the local TRU back in 2001.

Quick question, was there external clear plastic wrap on these sets when new? Or did he likely add this for protection? I don't recall such wrapping.

Not sure if this was sold at TRU B&M in Canada. I would look into that. 

The plastic wrap was done after purchase to help protect the set. You will need to remove it to inspect the seals. 

22 hours ago, TargetZero said:

whats the asking price

We seem to be hovering around the $650-700USD range. All seals are good. Some very small tears around the edges of the box. Pretty much as best you can expect for a 17 year old set....

Price is very reasonable, I just dont know if I want to deal with this set in my collection/inventory. Probably wont build it (I have built one in the past anyways) so would really just be holding onto it for future resale or trade. Or flash dump if a re-release is on the horizon.

Thoughts? Just buy it and shut up?

I would buy it for $650. You could sell it for $1000 at least. One recently sold on ebay with a buy it now of $1250 - best offer accepted (I would guess sold within $100 of $1250). I wouldn't hang on to it for very long. It's not going to appreciate much at this point. I'm sure someone here would trade you a nice package of sets if you want to go that route. 

4 hours ago, marcandre said:

I would buy it for $650. You could sell it for $1000 at least. One recently sold on ebay with a buy it now of $1250 - best offer accepted (I would guess sold within $100 of $1250). I wouldn't hang on to it for very long. It's not going to appreciate much at this point. I'm sure someone here would trade you a nice package of sets if you want to go that route. 

I was watching that one.  Bummed it sold before I could get a good gauge on price since it included both boxes. 

Well folks, I got the set for a great price. Bad news is that the outer and inner box seals are cut, but all bags and white boxes are sealed and accounted for. 

Instructions will need some time to flatten and the stickers are probably fused to their sheet forever. 

Now, what to do with this set...