Can you fake feedback?

Hey, I got a pretty ridiculous deal the other day. It occured to me it was a scam but the seller had 145 positive feedbacks. Can you fake that easily? Is it something I should look out for?

Oh also if you get a tracking number is it definite you will receive the item or no. I know these might be stupid questions so sorry.

31 minutes ago, WannabePlatypus said:

Oh also if you get a tracking number is it definite you will receive the item or no. I know these might be stupid questions so sorry.

Three different tracking number scams:

1. They send you an old tracking number that has nothing to do with your purchase

2. They send a tracked (empty) envelope to an address in your zipcode, which then gets delivered and marked as such. See the fruitcake thread for a big discussion on this where a member actually traced the envelope and is trying to fight the scammer using the evidence he gathered.

3. They send you an envelope with nothing in it, or with a note of some sort.

In the end, if this is on EBay, you can always file a SNAD which should invalidate this kind of scam, but if the seller has closed shop and you wait too long, they might be able to cash out and get money that way. Especially if they hacked an account with good feedback and hence Paypal makes funds available immediately, this can happen.