Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

47 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

There is going to be a re-release, I'm sure, such a popular set. But who knows when... maybe they'll just do a slightly smaller & changed up 18+ Saturn 5 for $90, doesn't have to be the IDEAS set... 

If they do any remake, I would hope it would actually be something like the Skylab launch pad.  That would be the top 2/3 of the Saturn V but hopefully include the Launch Pad.  That way we finally get a launch pad that we've always wanted for our Saturn Vs.

Skylab on Launch Pad.jpg

• Like 1

If they do any remake, I would hope it would actually be something like the Skylab launch pad.  That would be the top 2/3 of the Saturn V but hopefully include the Launch Pad.  That way we finally get a launch pad that we've always wanted for our Saturn Vs.
312061456_SkylabonLaunchPad.thumb.jpg.eb827304ac5808d41efec8655dd02637.jpg

Just in case you aren’t aware of this launch pad MOC with London bus and no other extra parts that someone else had mentioned previously:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-34528/BennyBenster/saturn-v-mobile-launcher/

7 minutes ago, locidm said:

Just in case you aren’t aware of this launch pad MOC with London bus and no other extra parts that someone else had mentioned previously:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-34528/BennyBenster/saturn-v-mobile-launcher/

I was aware of that MOC.  I was just saying if LEGO is going to do a re-release, the above set would make more sense than just re-releasing the ideas set and neglecting the original designers from more royalties.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:21 AM, tomwang2016 said:

Majorities of the new porducts don't sell well at this time. Lego production team and factory are remaking some of these good sell products 

This guy predicted this happening to the exact date for the rocket. We need more of him here to tell us what more is coming back. 

2 minutes ago, raulaco said:

This guy predicted this happening to the exact date for the rocket. We need more of him here to tell us what more is coming back. 

Frank Brickowski, Posted September 21, 2019:

"Anyone else here got the same strange feeling that our super-popular Ideas Saturn V 21309 will indeed retire - but only to be brought back immediately as a Creator Expert set? I mean, nowadays everything seems possible for TLG when it comes to (making money with) remakes and re-releases.

I think there are some good arguments for this to happen:
a) Why bury one of the best-selling (and most well-designed) sets of all time for good after just 2 years, for no "real" reason (= just because the Ideas philosophy "demands" it) - after all, TLG is in it for the money, isn't it?
b) Conveniently LEGO also has a cooperation running with NASA anyway, so there's virtually no licensing-related effort needed to make Creator Expert Saturn V happen.
c) A non-Ideas continuation of 21309 would also raise LEGO's profits for every set sold in the future (no more fees for the fan designer).
d) They could just have extended the Ideas set one additional year (as has been done before with other Ideas sets) - but it doesn't seem like they did. Hm ..."

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Confused 1

wasn't the original RRP $115 for the Saturn...I know for sure it was discounted and readily available on Amazon for $85...as I  remeber pondering that one really hard?

as for it being a surprise...There was a lot of skepticism on the Saturn set's retirement I think if we polled BPers...I would bet a significant percentage expected it to come back in some form.

The ship in a bottle was a surprise...really undermines the "rules" resellers may have about retirement 

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

wasn't the original RRP $115 for the Saturn...I know for sure it was discounted and readily available on Amazon for $85...as I  remeber pondering that one really hard?

as for it being a surprise...There was a lot of skepticism on the Saturn set's retirement I think if we polled BPers...I would bet a significant percentage expected it to come back in some form.

The ship in a bottle was a surprise...really undermines the "rules" resellers may have about retirement 

it was 20% off for the longest time

I'm out of Lego Investing. No more buying for me.

The entire premise is the retirement of sets. After a few isolated re-issues, it's now clear that all sets are fair game for re-issue. 

Yes, you can still invest in the "unpopular" sets that have less risk, but that defeats the purpose.

Treeshouse obviously will follow this.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

The entire premise is the retirement of sets. After a few isolated re-issues, it's now clear that all sets are fair game for re-issue. 

Yes, you can still invest in the "unpopular" sets that have less risk, but that defeats the purpose.

I'm completely in agreement with this and what has been said about the ship in bottle. If the ship in bottle can be re released then anything is fair game. What will this cost Lego in the long run with no investors participating?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

Treeshouse obviously will follow this.....

Treehouse is a completely obvious next in line. Short time out, then bring it back to the masses.

I remember when they rereleased Fort Legoredo, still didn't buy it. I think I was 11 though, and that was expensive then.

2 minutes ago, brickology101 said:

Guys, calm down...lego won’t be able to mass revive massive amounts of successful sets without retiring others. So, there will always be sets that retire for good or long enough that they can make us money. It just makes the game of choosing the proper set to invest in even harder

re-release of ship in a bottle is a game changer (IMO).  I think fundamentally...this changes many investor's idea of "going deep" in a set...seems like just too much risk. Also hold times are also looked at more closely and with the recent uptick on scams on $300+ sets...there's is now a "too ripe" in my book.

• Like 4

re-release of ship in a bottle is a game changer (IMO).  I think fundamentally...this changes many investor's idea of "going deep" in a set...seems like just too much risk. Also hold times are also looked at more closely and with the recent uptick on scams on $300+ sets...there's is now a "too ripe" in my book.

This whole re-release scare started With the Death Star. I think that was in 2018. Correct me if I am wrong. Two years later same all Same all. It hasn’t really impacted my sales and profit overall. Now, every reseller here is different in terms of what they resell, volume, how long they hold sets for and on what platform they sell. My biggest concern right now which really impacts my sales is amazon taking for ever to receive inventory but it is another topic.

This whole re-release scare started With the Death Star. I think that was in 2018. Correct me if I am wrong. Two years later same all Same all. It hasn’t really impacted my sales and profit overall. Now, every reseller here is different in terms of what they resell, volume, how long they hold sets for and on what platform they sell. My biggest concern right now which really impacts my sales is amazon taking for ever to receive inventory but it is another topic.

I’m fairly confident they look at the lost hoarded sets and say yep let’s go ahead and redo that one... just saying.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V