Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

7 hours ago, tomwang2016 said:

Majorities of the new porducts don't sell well at this time. Lego production team and factory are remaking some of these good sell products 

1.) Most of the new (June) products haven't even been released in the U.S.
2.) How come half of the sets listed on LEGO Shop at Home are on backorder if they didn`t sell (well)?

7 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

EVERY set is a good seller right now.

I don't know if I would say "every" set is a good seller.  Not a single Hidden Side set is backordered.  Several are even on sale at this time and still not sold out.  Hidden Side Train has been 25% off for over a week at Target and you can still buy qty of 10 for shipping (https://www.target.com/p/lego-hidden-side-ghost-train-express-70424-augmented-reality-ar-toy-train-building-kit-697pc/-/A-75667055).

Hidden Side reminds me of a sports study done in the USA many years ago trying to determine why inner city kids typically do not play baseball or hockey.  It was determined it was the cost of equipment.  Inner city kids were more likely to play basketball or soccer because all you needed was one kid with a ball and a hoop or target (goal).

Hidden Side sets are nice, but unless your kids have access to devices, they're not able to play with it to its fullest.  For those parents (like myself) whose kids already spend too much time on electronics, LEGO was supposed to be the escape from electronics.  I have to admit, the videos advertising the Hidden Side actually turn me off.  A group of kids standing around a LEGO set playing electronic devices?  Kids are already doing that.  Why would I need to buy a slightly more expensive LEGO set sitting in the middle of them not being played with?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I don't know if I would say "every" set is a good seller.  Not a single Hidden Side set is backordered.  Several are even on sale at this time and still not sold out.  Hidden Side Train has been 25% off for over a week at Target and you can still buy qty of 10 for shipping (https://www.target.com/p/lego-hidden-side-ghost-train-express-70424-augmented-reality-ar-toy-train-building-kit-697pc/-/A-75667055).

Hidden Side reminds me of a sports study done in the USA many years ago trying to determine why inner city kids typically do not play baseball or hockey.  It was determined it was the cost of equipment.  Inner city kids were more likely to play basketball or soccer because all you needed was one kid with a ball and a hoop or target (goal).

Hidden Side sets are nice, but unless your kids have access to devices, they're not able to play with it to its fullest.  For those parents (like myself) whose kids already spend too much time on electronics, LEGO was supposed to be the escape from electronics.  I have to admit, the videos advertising the Hidden Side actually turn me off.  A group of kids standing around a LEGO set playing electronic devices?  Kids are already doing that.  Why would I need to buy a slightly more expensive LEGO set sitting in the middle of them not being played with?

I agree...and my boy doesn't have his own phone so the LAST thing I need is for him to have ANOTHER reason to ask for my phone...honestly every time he borrows my phone or tablet to do something legit...it always ends up with him moving on to gaming when I loose track of what he's doing.

if its just LEGO bricks the worse thing he could do is set death traps for my bare feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MrSam said:

I'm having a hard time not selling these. Just sold two for $310US ea.

I only have one left! (Plus my own, of course 🤐 )

its a great set. I have one saved for myself. I'm kicking myself for not buying more

Everyone bought this set, there's just too much stock right now. Without Covid this set would still be $170 in America.

Comparing it to other sets it sells a lot faster, this will balance out the mass of sets. It'll thin out in a few months. I'd say wait if you're in Europe, sell if you're in the US.

• Like 1

Here in Europe the asking price for the Saturn V set is ~ €180. No where near US prices, that's for sure.

Still, I'm surprised about the price increase. There was so much stock on Bricklink in December, but this set is really moving. Glad I didn't sell in January for € 130.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Everyone bought this set, there's just too much stock right now. Without Covid this set would still be $170 in America.

Without Covid this would be $119.99 in America.  LEGO had massive year end run of these (and 10-15 other SKUs) earmarked for Amazon thinking it would probably last most of 2020.  SiaB was another and stock did not survive Covid.  

1 hour ago, carini26 said:

Without Covid this would be $119.99 in America.  LEGO had massive year end run of these (and 10-15 other SKUs) earmarked for Amazon thinking it would probably last most of 2020.  SiaB was another and stock did not survive Covid.  

What is SiaB?

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, elmaslıefendi said:

part out value 

5 hours ago, skinsfan0521 said:

And what would that mean?

3 hours ago, thebrickdad said:

When it's cheaper to Bricklink the parts rather than buy the set.

I always thought it meant as a reseller, opportunity for more capital return if one was to break open the set and sell the individual pieces in their BL store vs selling the complete set. Very similar in concept, yet a clear distinction.  
I could be wrong tho...

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V