Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

I dropped it. It broke in half.  ??? It's a long story that started with me not wanting to be tackled at an airport. And ended with 1 missing structural piece that caused the whole thing to break apart as I was holding it. 

I'm beside myself at the moment. The only major sets I have are this and the UCS Slave . Anyways, so long story short, I originally picked up the Saturn when I was visiting my then long-distance girlfriend 1,000 miles away for a couple weeks about a year ago, and I built it there. It had just come out and I hadn't been able to find it in store anywhere and then I bought it on impulse when we went to a ToysRUs and they had it. 

Cut to me preparing to fly back home and I have this 3 foot rocket projectile looking thing. So I decide to be on the safe side and not take it on board, fearing I'll be tackled down, them thinking I have a bomb. And if not, it'll be destroyed when they search my bag and dismantle it. But maybe I was being paranoid. So I left it in the car of a family member that lived nearby that drove me to the airport. Planned on them mailing it to me later. 

Well, needless to say, I got busy with life and my sister's mother-in-law didn't get around to sending it till now. But it had spent a year rolling around the back of her SUV. And of course she put no bubble wrap or anything and just tossed it in a large flat rate box with tons of room to spare. 

So I get it and a couple hundred pieces are loose, mostly the exterior. About a dozen or so pieces got knocked off at some point too and were totally missing. Again mostly exterior. Mostly :(

Anywho so I spend a couple hours rebuilding it, and had to totally take apart one section as a piece had got lodged inside and was clanging around. But finally got it back together save for a few outside pieces I planned to order off Ebay. Except for 1 of the 8 small red clips that connected the sections halfway through.  I hadn't thought it'd make that much of a difference as I had 7 of the 8 arranged in the circle, and planned to order it on Ebay later too. Well it did make a difference. I had stood it up vertically and picked it up horizontally to admire the size of it again and I guess it caused a weak spot, and either that weak corner of it was at the top or bottom of it as a held it, and in a split second the whole thing split apart into the floor, leaving me holding half of it. I picked up the pieces and they've been sitting in a container over a week now, I'm too depressed to try rebuilding it a third time. 

I'm ironically reminded how one tiny seemingly insignificant faulty part caused the demise of the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters too. 

Edited by Stud-Flipper

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, cladner said:

131 amazon sellers and it's not retired even.  This ones gonna be a slog if and when it goes   Stupid hoopla. ?

More than 40 sellers have at least 5 available. More than 10 sellers have at least 10. 6 US sellers have at least 25. 2 US sellers have at least 50. 1 has more than 100.

That's before the pre-EOL buying run and post-EOL listings. ETA: although some might be dropshippers without product in hand. 

Edited by mizeur
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Something people should consider is we are currently in another space boom. With blue origin, space x, and a few others trying to commercialize satellite launches and low orbit refueling/delivery systems.

I suspect space is going to be a hot subject in the next 10-20 years. That being said this is definitely a "no brainier" and plenty of people will have them.

This won't win investment of the year but I don't think it will disappoint in 3-5 years and further.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 9/29/2018 at 10:11 PM, Val-E said:

I think it was 100 pallets. Some schools are going to get some nice donations soon.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, crayxlp said:

Hasnt TB ordered like a 100+ on a palet or so..?

Not quite 100 pallets, but my total amount does run into 3 digits. I had some very good discounts so even RRP will bring in a half decent return. I recall how long the Delorean was available for and how very widespread it was. Back then Argos' 3-for-2 came in very handy! That was before they started opening boxes, drop-kicking them around the warehouse and re-selling unchecked returns.

As soon as EOL is confirmed, I can see the S5 disappearing from shelves very quickly.

Edited by TabbyBoy

On 9/29/2018 at 10:48 PM, landphieran said:

Something people should consider is we are currently in another space boom. With blue origin, space x, and a few others trying to commercialize satellite launches and low orbit refueling/delivery systems.

I suspect space is going to be a hot subject in the next 10-20 years. That being said this is definitely a "no brainier" and plenty of people will have them.

This won't win investment of the year but I don't think it will disappoint in 3-5 years and further.

then tell me why Musk still hasnt baked some "merchandise" deal with LEGO.. everybody does.. last November - Renault 40 and 100 limited Formula 1 boxes.. Hilton Paris two years back - exclusive aka architecture set sold on their hotel receptions and the list could go on and on.. 

On 9/29/2018 at 4:27 PM, mizeur said:

More than 40 sellers have at least 5 available. More than 10 sellers have at least 10. 6 US sellers have at least 25. 2 US sellers have at least 50. 1 has more than 100.

That's before the pre-EOL buying run and post-EOL listings. ETA: although some might be dropshippers without product in hand. 

Some haven't sent any into FBA yet.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 hours ago, Val-E said:

Musk seems to have been busy "cooking up" other stuff recently. Either that or he has been poisoned by the content of his car's batteries.

Shame he wasn't interviewed in Thailand as he'd have been executed for what he did during "that" interview. He's a genius and a total knob at the same time, a bit like some of us ?

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V