Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, thebrickdad said:

Backorder is best for this as Lego will hopefully ship the Anniversary set separately and thus not get crushed, which is always the risk when ordering just to get a special. 

Great idea. Sometimes even LEGO send a second promo with the actual order when it's dispatched. I'd be more worried about damage to 21309 though.

2 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

whats our take on this? Saturn selling well - to resellers or individuals?

My guess, mostly resellers and the same issues with this item sharing parts with the UCS Falcon too. I wouldn't have thought that many individual buyers would have been savvy enough to pick up on the promo that quickly. No doubt the Saturn V will back in stock once the promo calms down a bit.

5 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Being such a fantastic set, I'd suggest both.  However, this set was an obvious choice for the resellers during this promo window, picking up a fantastic set that's not likely to be discounted in many places, therefore you pick up a promo that can be flipped for around £30 to offset against your buy in.  

4 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

also what's the back order policy with the promo. I thought that they waited until your main item was ready until sending a free promos?

I've had examples where the promo has been sent out on it's own ahead of the main item.  Not terribly efficient from Lego's perspective. 

17 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

also what's the back order policy with the promo. I thought that they waited until your main item was ready until sending a free promos?

general rule of thumb is that they will send the promo with any in stock items that are ordered. if it's only backordered items plus the promo, you are rolling the dice on getting it. best policy is to include at least an in stock keychain or something if you are concerned about having the promo ship. 

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I've had examples where the promo has been sent out on it's own ahead of the main item.  Not terribly efficient from Lego's perspective. 

A few weeks back I had 2x phantoms delivered. My solitary microscopic pick a brick box arrived a few days later... in the same size box as the phantoms did. Shocking! ?

1 hour ago, GregP said:

Now sold out at UK SaH

is this the second time its gone sold out or was last time call to check?  

been beating myself up now for a while about buying 3 dozen of these on the thin hope that production life would be short when I could have bought many more retiring sets, but this set will be very tough to  stock up on when EOL is on the horizon.  

c'mon TLG - throw us a bone.

Edited by cladner

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, GregP said:

Now sold out at UK SaH

5 minutes ago, cladner said:

is this the second time its gone sold out or was last time call to check?  

been beating myself up now for a while about buying 3 dozen of these on the thin hope that production life would be short when I could have bought many more retiring sets, but this set will be very tough to  stock up on when EOL is on the horizon.  

c'mon TLG - throw us a bone.

I'm not holding my breath as their webshite has really sucked bad recently. If it's still "Sold Out" after a week, then it could be time to pop some corks. However, I'm not being suckered into buying any more from John Lewis, unless they reduce it heavily, as I do have more than my fair share already. If it is EOL time, then it could tell us that LEGO agree on a certain quantity with the designer. There's been so many false alarms that this set could possibly be a lot less hoarded than we think.

"Throw us a bone?" They're certainly good at dangling carrots!

If you recall, the 75105 went from Retired Product > TOOS > Sold Out > Available Limit 10 > C2C > Sold Out > ?

I still think this set could be a pain in the backside for Lego, the sales may be good but it's all about profit and if this set isn't profitable and it's stopping them making more UCS Falcon's then it wouldn't surprise me if they end it sooner than we expect. Either that or they increase the price to reduce the demand.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

I'd say individuals due to the very low buying limits and being unable to re-order from SaH. Of course, John Lewis had no such restriction and you could just keep ordering like some of us have been guilty of. We'll soon find out when Amazon/eBay gets flooded. That could be a time to buy below RRP if QFLLs get desperate and have a FVF offer. I'm holding mine for as long as it takes as I'm accepting no less than £100 profit on each ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, richiej1979 said:

I still think this set could be a pain in the backside for Lego, the sales may be good but it's all about profit and if this set isn't profitable and it's stopping them making more UCS Falcon's then it wouldn't surprise me if they end it sooner than we expect. Either that or they increase the price to reduce the demand.

Demand will still be there, just look at the inflated reseller prices and the utterly ridiculous price of the UCS MF. After weighing a built UCS MF, it's a meagre amount of plastic for the money. I judge value by weight, not pieces ;-)

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V