"Why are you selling this set?"

Since i started selling Lego sets some years ago it always makes me feel kind of uncomfortable when i meet a buyer in person to hand over the Lego and he/she asks me "..and why are you selling this set/your collection?" or "Why don´t you need this set anymore?".

It seems to me that about 9 out of 10 buyers asking me that question over and over again. I mean, they surely see that i´m selling more and just new sets when they´re looking at my account, and then we meet and they innocently/ironically ask me why i´m selling the set. Like they don´t have the balls to ask me if i´m just selling to make money with it or are they some kind of jealous?

Any similar experiences? What do you answer if you´re getting asked this kind of question?

Edited by Moonwalker1701

1 hour ago, The Leveller said:

I usually tell them I bought it for my kids but that they're interested in other things or themes. I don't want to be known as reseller scum.

Ha ha ha, that's exactly what I told the buyer of my Friends Dolphin Cruiser set last week, when he came to pick it up. Told him I'd bought it for my daughter's birthday but she is now more interested in getting a new tablet for her birthday.  Which is kind of true, except that I had never intended to give the Dolphin Cruiser to her. :P 

Another time I told the buyer that I got the set at a good sale, and so I bought 2 sets where I kept 1 for myself to build and 1 to sell for a little profit to help pay for my Lego hobby.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha, that's exactly what I told the buyer of my Friends Dolphin Cruiser set last week, when he came to pick it up. Told him I'd bought it for my daughter's birthday but she is now more interested in getting a new tablet for her birthday.

Hahaha. Off course this doesn't work when you have twenty sets listed on Marktplaats (local Craigslist) or if you're selling Architecture sets.

I think most are just trying to make conversation.

If asked, I would say that I buy/sell/collect - usually it gets around to "you should see my house" implying that I am just such a big fan/collector of LEGO.

When conversation gets around to prices - I used to be able to honestly state that the set that they were buying would very likely end up being worth even more than they were paying (if taken care of, etc) - Of course, I would no longer feel very honest if I were to state that today.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

I get asked this a lot in person, i think it's really just a conversation starter, AND a safety measure to see what answer they come up with to avoid any fishy deals.

I remember way back when the Sandcrawler first came out, i purchased it with %100 VIP points and intended to build it, however i changed my mind and sold the set locally for a little under retail. The guy was certainly suspicious and asked me this question. Maybe they are just trying to see if you slip up and say you stole it :P

• Like 1

I've done a lot with CL over the years as a buyer and seller (mainly with retro Nintendo based games).  Before I got into LEGO buying (very few sales afterwards so far), but I would ask that question and get asked as a buyer and seller.  It is a conversation starter/ice breaker(granted I'm not there to be your friend, but could lead to future business) and a courtesy to show I'm not a complete arsehole!   I agree with:

2 hours ago, Sandwraith said:

I get asked this a lot in person, i think it's really just a conversation starter, AND a safety measure to see what answer they come up with to avoid any fishy deals.

13 minutes ago, EliasFelipe said:

Mostly when I know they come to my house I put on my batman suit and open the door...Conversation then be like: Ok thank you...And off they go....They don't even wanna come in 

I greet them at the door dressed as one of the Spartans from 300. You know, if one of the Spartans were hairy and out of shape.

• Like 2

I get this question a lot. I used to say I didn't need it after all back when my listings were for a handful of sets, but now that I have 5 or more listings for various lines with multiple sets each even I feel weird just saying it. I've started saying I buy and sell extras to pay for the ones I want. 

3 hours ago, Sandwraith said:

Agreed. I actually am one of the ones who asks the question "so why are you selling?" or "just don't need it anymore?"  My question is more to figure out if the sealed contents are legit - get a feel for the person - stolen item? etc.....  Most don't say much. We are a strange bunch.

• Like 1