Saran Wrap - Storage

Saran wrap is mentioned thrice in all content so I figured I'd ask here. Would it be advisable to wrap [LEGO] boxes for long term storage as a collector? I'm already storing them in a low humidity unfinished area on shelving. I've seen mentioned that people have used industrial grade shipping plastic wrap as well. I was just unsure if there is any chemicals on saran wrap that would damage the boxes. This is mainly to keep dust/potential bugs off of them. Any other ideas for inexpensive transparent wrap welcome. 

Another question is to individually wrap all lego or combine multiple same size sets (i.e. constrations, microfighters) or does this risk box wear/sticking together? Obviously an OCD collector.

Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, amrandazz said:

Saran wrap is mentioned thrice in all content so I figured I'd ask here. Would it be advisable to wrap [LEGO] boxes for long term storage as a collector? I'm already storing them in a low humidity unfinished area on shelving. I've seen mentioned that people have used industrial grade shipping plastic wrap as well. I was just unsure if there is any chemicals on saran wrap that would damage the boxes. This is mainly to keep dust/potential bugs off of them. Any other ideas for inexpensive transparent wrap welcome. 

Another question is to individually wrap all lego or combine multiple same size sets (i.e. constrations, microfighters) or does this risk box wear/sticking together? Obviously an OCD collector.

My long-term sets (not to be sold until next year) are packed in sturdy boxes and on pallets which are covered with black wrap to keep them steady and to keep out light and moisture. The warehouse that they are in is dry and kept at 18C since it also contains sensitive electronic instruments.

My larger sets (Modulars, Orthancs, Sea Cow, etc.) are already in large plastic bags, bubble-wrapped and then placed in individual double-walled boxes (600x500x140mm) ready to ship.

I've thought about doing the same and storing the sets in my garage. My concern isn't about the wrap damaging the print, thought that could still very well be an issue, my concern is moisture being trapped within the wrapping and not being able to evaporate. I live in the Pacific Northwest so this is always a concern for me. What I plan on doing is wrapping them in brown paper and writing the set numbers on the outside. If I do run into an issue with water/moisture it would be easier to spot on the brown paper. Just my $.02

Walmart carries some inexpensive large plastic bags of various sizes for garbage to green waste sizes. I put sets in these and then do one wrap around the narrow edge with shipping tape to keep it closed. The bags are clear so you can see the sets although I usually pack them up right after bagging. I'm in dry California so not worried about moisture build up. 

I haven't heard of Saran Wrap damaging things. It's used all the time in its larger form to wrap palettes and from my experience, it doesn't stick to paper even after long periods of contact. 

I have some 2008- 2012 (before I got back into lego) sets that I bought from a collector. He had them all wrapped individually 3 times around in both directions in plastic wrap not sure of the brand. Any of them that I opened to build like BP QAR had no issues. The seals were intact with no damage to the print on them or the box. He and I both live in a high humidity area. 

IMG_2843.JPG

• Like 1

If you've got the money, buy a heat sealer, heat gun, and polyolefin shrink wrap.  It takes a while to get the hang of shrink wrapping larger lego sets, but it's one of the better ways to protect them.  Be careful with PVC shrink wrap as it is a bit stronger on the shrink and can warp the boxes by getting too tight.

I have experienced issues (as a buyer) with new & sealed LEGO sets that had been wrapped in Saran wrap.

There is usually a little section of the seals that forms a small/loose gap on sealed boxes. When you wrap them is saran wrap (which also tends to tighten), you can develop unnatural creases in the seals - leaving a set much worse off than if it had been left alone.

I wouldn't suggest Saran wrapping sealed sets.