Lego Bulk/Lot Buying (And What to Do)

1 minute ago, JoshB said:

Yeah, I was looking at those.

He lives about 30 min from me and so I am thinking about checking them out in person. Since I have never purchased a bulk lot before are these the main issues I should be aware of: instructions, non-lego pieces, minifigs? What else should I look out for?

What's your goal here?  Rebuilding sets to sell?  Keep?  Bricklink?  That's a big determining factor.  If you're looking to re-sell sets, you better have instructions and figures.  My worry is that when I see accessories/figure parts in a central location like in the hull in this example, that's generally what they have already siphoned out of the lot and there's usually not much left in the lot.  If you can sift through and see a bunch more throughout the piles, you should be pretty good. 

I always ask about pets and smoking.  Smoke stink Lego is a huge PASS for me, no matter what.  Pet hair I can work around but it's gross.  I can also filter out mega blok if it's not overwhelming.  I definitely see some as well as Knex.  Duplo is not terrible as it can be sold as well, whether an ebay or garage sale or you can use it as a base for larger structures if you're a MOCer.

I may be a snob about this, but I will look at the living conditions of the seller as well.  I live in a clean house, I don't want to bring something with bugs/dirt/hair/etc in and have it stink up the joint for days on end before I can sort and clean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halfrig said:

Hello everyone. I have picked up a good amount of new sets from retailers and the flea market since I got into LEGO back in December, but have not dared used bricks yet. This one is tempting because it is close and states Batman Asylum and a lot of mini's.  He said no manuals though.

Suggestions of value?

Blurry pics make it hard to pick out what is there but I do see the little van/truck from AA and some other small remnants of Batman I sets.  Without better pictures, if I was in your position I'd only be able to offer the seller a bulk price but if he can show figures and such go from there. 

I was hoping I could get some help with coming up with a fair price to offer for this lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lg-Crate-of-Legos-figures-Instruction-books-from-Star-Wars-Ninjago-and-MORE-/332136815061?hash=item4d54e599d5:g:fuIAAOSwZVlXl-R8

Some of the instructions included are for Vader's Tie Fighter (8017), AT-TE (7675), Venator Class (8039), Home One (7754), Republic Attack Shuttle (8019), City Heavy Hauler (7998), VW (10220), and quite a few smaller sets from Ninjago, Star Wars, City, etc.

The seller is not sure how complete these sets are and so I would like to know how to value this lot. I am not really looking to profit from this lot. I am looking at keeping some sets and selling others. I don't think brinklink would be an option for me. 

I was hoping I could get some help with coming up with a fair price to offer for this lot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lg-Crate-of-Legos-figures-Instruction-books-from-Star-Wars-Ninjago-and-MORE-/332136815061?hash=item4d54e599d5:g:fuIAAOSwZVlXl-R8
Some of the instructions included are for Vader's Tie Fighter (8017), AT-TE (7675), Venator Class (8039), Home One (7754), Republic Attack Shuttle (8019), City Heavy Hauler (7998), VW (10220), and quite a few smaller sets from Ninjago, Star Wars, City, etc.
The seller is not sure how complete these sets are and so I would like to know how to value this lot. I am not really looking to profit from this lot. I am looking at keeping some sets and selling others. I don't think brinklink would be an option for me. 

I doubt most the non lego is worth anything. Most those SW sets have been remade. They are ALL together. Would take 6-8 hours to sort if not longer. If for personal and it's not cheaper to buy the sets used you want I would offer 200 I still think that's to much...lol they won't take that because of how much it will be to ship.

Honestly I would pass and just buy complete sets that you want.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

I doubt most the non lego is worth anything. Most those SW sets have been remade. They are ALL together. Would take 6-8 hours to sort if not longer. If for personal and it's not cheaper to buy the sets used you want I would offer 200 I still think that's to much...lol they won't take that because of how much it will be to ship.

Honestly I would pass and just buy complete sets that you want.

The seller lives near me and so I could just pick it up. I am also looking for parts to create some MOCS so I don't really need complete sets. In this case would it be better to base value off of weight?

• 2 years later...