[MOC] Imperial March

dimnico

Hi guys, so I was somewhat inspired by a recent job where I got to work at the legendary Abbey Road studios! I decided to make my own version of the iconic Beatles album cover using a mix of the new Beatles mini figs (for the yellow submarine) and some of my favourite imperials. 

30795285010_22cf488eac_c.jpgDSC_2808 by dimitrinicomanis, on Flickr

I call this build 'The Imperial March' 

31162652245_244fc91760_z.jpgDSC_2790 by dimitrinicomanis, on Flickr

31628012271_6e61a8f1e9_c.jpg2016-12-19_02-43-14 by dimitrinicomanis, on Flickr

I tried to get some of the background detail into this build but felt the car would be the wrong scale so opted to leave it out.

30341526604_c588e6de80_z.jpgIMG_20161120_221651 by dimitrinicomanis, on Flickr

4939440590_d4a513513f_z.jpgbeatles_abbey_road by SimonDubai, on Flickr

(and yes I know that Boba and  Kylo aren't technically Imperial!)

Edited by dimnico
  • Like 4

Like all the MOCs you come up with.  I think the only thing that bothers me is that the street is black in the crosswalk and grey behind them.  I think it would look cool with some mini cars but understand if the forced perspective doesn't work. 

Thanks for the feedback! I've actually just built another moc that I needed a car in the scene and think I've come up with the perfect solution! Stay tuned!

As for the crossroads, I went for black and white because I felt with the musical connection it looked a bit like piano keys they were walking across but maybe that was a bit obscure?
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dimnico said:

Thanks for the feedback! I've actually just built another moc that I needed a car in the scene and think I've come up with the perfect solution! Stay tuned!

As for the crossroads, I went for black and white because I felt with the musical connection it looked a bit like piano keys they were walking across but maybe that was a bit obscure?

I got the piano reference and thought it was very good looking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dimnico said:

No, not too obscure. I saw the resemblance but didn't know if that was what you were going for.  Keep on keepin on, these are all great.

• Like 1

I have seen numerous variations on Abbey Road including LEGO minifigures but all tend to be basically edits or a sketch of the original image. Here you actually built the scene plus mixed in various elements for a colorful ensemble. Nice. Originally I figured the crosswalk and fading street were differently colored mainly for contrast, I like your piano keys concept better.

I too was a little bothered by the black grey mix. And the cross walk is a bit large. I think it throws the perspective off. Makes the minifigs look smaller. For example, in the picture the white lines are about as tall as the men. So they shouldn't be too much longer than a minifig laid on its side.

I think if you made the black keys smaller, like on a piano, it would be loud and clear. Also, these race 3000 cars might be the right size for your proportions. Especially if you mKe the crosswalk thinner, thus giving you more road to work with in the distance. f1ca4715e3b6a7085bdeb22f287e2c2d.jpg

good job, btw

Lol.
I looked at your other pics a bit closer. Looks like you have the white lines about the right size, you just have the minifigs position to the back, furthest point from the front, thus giving the illusion of the lines being considerably taller than the minifig. while in the original, they are positioned more in the front.

But you could probably shave off 2 from the white and black, reposition the minifigs, and no one know the difference. But gain 2 for the rest of the street.

13 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

No, not too obscure. I saw the resemblance but didn't know if that was what you were going for.  Keep on keepin on, these are all great.

13 hours ago, WTL said:

I got the piano reference and thought it was very good looking.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it! 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, donbee said:

I too was a little bothered by the black grey mix. And the cross walk is a bit large. I think it throws the perspective off. Makes the minifigs look smaller. For example, in the picture the white lines are about as tall as the men. So they shouldn't be too much longer than a minifig laid on its side.

I think if you made the black keys smaller, like on a piano, it would be loud and clear. Also, these race 3000 cars might be the right size for your proportions. Especially if you mKe the crosswalk thinner, thus giving you more road to work with in the distance.

good job, btw

Thanks for the feedback and also pointing me in the direction of the cars! I think they would work for the smaller one in the far distance but the VW beetle closer might need a bit of a bigger build! 

9 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

I have seen numerous variations on Abbey Road including LEGO minifigures but all tend to be basically edits or a sketch of the original image. Here you actually built the scene plus mixed in various elements for a colorful ensemble. Nice. Originally I figured the crosswalk and fading street were differently colored mainly for contrast, I like your piano keys concept better.

Thank you very much! I think whether possible I am always going to try and build a scene from lego. Its a bit more challenging but also quite rewarding when you get it right! I have just finished a really iconic film scene recreation, gonna take some pics tonight and hopefully upload tomorrow so keep an eye out!