Selling used complete sets on eBay

Nowhereman1

I need some good advice from anyone on here for eBay. I am not new to selling on eBay, I've been a member since 1997, and I've sold many things including mint in box Lego, but one thing that I have not sold on eBay is loose but complete Lego sets. I've always been afraid of a buyer filing a complaint of missing pieces even though there isn't any. But this time I want to try selling a loose complete set. What advice could you give me to prevent a buyer from trying to get money back? If anyone is interested it's the Star Wars Lego set 75021, the Gunship. Thanks!

I find that whenever I sell a set without the minifigures I specifically put in the title *no minifigures* and also I  the description of the auction in bright red font.

You should try and take a picture of the actual items you are selling and not use the stock photo of the set, as the buyer can claim they thought from the photo they were getting a brand new set.

Just basically describe fully and in detail what you are selling and hopefully you shouldn't have any issues 

1 hour ago, jbacunn said:

I've sold many used complete sets and never had a problem. 99% of eBay buyers are good honest people. You might run across the 1% but it's unlikely. Just be clear in your listing and take a lot of pictures and you will be fine.

+1

Read too much around here and you'll start to think the horror stories are taking place everywhere, all the time. It's extremely rare. Don't soak up the paranoia. Don't be a sloppy seller either and you'll be fine unless you are seriously unlucky and then there's practically nothing you can do to prevent running into that 0.001% scammer buyer, so just don' worry 'bout it. But if it does happen, fight it. eBay DOES occasionally side with the seller (or at least provide a neutral resolution)... they just make you earn it.

• Like 1

I sell a lot of complete, used sets.  I have never had anyone try to scam me (knock on wood...).  And when I have accidentally omitted a piece or someone claims one is missing, they have fortunately been very kind and understanding.  (And luckily I have had a replacement to quickly send them.)

Some steps to make sure you avoid issues.  Label the bags (with the set #) in which you break down the sets.  I always keep the minifigures and their accessories in a separate bag so that the recipient sees them right away.  I immediately box up the contents in a shipping box so that items do not get lost.

And I concur with everyone above - make sure your listing notes exactly what they will receive.  E.g. Manuals, original Lego box, all Lego pieces, minifigures, etc.

Good luck!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nowhereman1 said:

Yeah, I do those things as well. I guess it's a hope for the best situation when it comes to eBay. Would it be better to sell it already built with pictures or take pictures first then dissemble it and put that in the description that it comes dissembled?

And just my observation, but sets sell at a higher price when built in the pictures.  If you acquire a set built, take pictures first then inventory the pieces.  I have done this with quite a few modulars.  Saves me quite a bit of time.

And just my observation, but sets sell at a higher price when built in the pictures.  If you acquire a set built, take pictures first then inventory the pieces.  I have done this with quite a few modulars.  Saves me quite a bit of time.

100% agree. Buyers like to see the set built and that all the pieces are there. Taking a picture of a bag full of loose pieces is pointless.
  • Like 1

Here's my 2 cents on Ebay after some shitty luck lately being a Buyer...

1) Package the damn item so it is likely not to get crushed... Recent Example, bought one of the smaller Lego sets that comes in a small box (75 piece), the seller shipped it in a god damn bubble mailer.  The box came crushed, which I didn't really care about, but what if I did?  And don't be that seller that claims that my neighbor probably stepped on it.  I've ordered 1000's of items by now and nothing has come damaged ever except that stupid box that is full of air in it, inside a bubble mailer.  I also don't live in a city which means my "neighbor" would have to run all the way over here, stomp on it, then run all the way back home.  

2) Tape the **** out of it!!!... Recent example, bought a loose set of Lego (about 5 lbs worth) and the box was only tapped on the two main seams, and not the entire area's where anything could leak out.  I was at the door when it arrived and pieces were literally falling out of the box as the mailman handed it to me.  I couldn't believe it and and at the same time, most of the "Lego" pieces were actually megablok.  The total weight upon arrival was just over 2 lbs.  

I never thought that packaging was so tough to understand but in a matter of a few weeks, two items were pretty much worthless upon delivery.  When I mail items out, I do my due diligence in making sure the item is properly packaged and shipped and don't cut any corners.  I know it's not possible to have 100% of delivery's go well, but the shipping folks do a pretty damn good job getting things to where they are supposed to go and odds are if it is packaged correctly, there won't be any issues upon delivery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jbacunn said:

100% agree. Buyers like to see the set built and that all the pieces are there.

Agreed, though the former isn't necessarily indicative of the latter. Most people like to see the finished product in some form, and real pics usually help.

2 hours ago, jbacunn said:

Taking a picture of a bag full of loose pieces is pointless.

Disagree. I've had great feedback about sorted and labelled bags, and pics of such tell the buyer they won't have to sort too much if they don't want to. This CAN add value!

95% of my Lego sales are Vintage sets, mostly unboxed (so they can go in jiffy bags if they are small sets), Brickvesting is just a side line.

When I buy a bulk lot, all sets are built, then photographed. Any missing pieces are noted in the listing and the price adjusted accordingly. I have got into the habit of completing the sets via Bricklink if it is economical to do so. Including buying a single part for £22 as it increased a set's worth by £50.

If a set is so incomplete but popular I will sell it loose but it will go for a lower price.

As many people have said above, I rarely have problems, 99% of people are nice and will allow you to fix a problem. 

I have found out that if you don't send items using a tracked service, eBay and Paypal will side with the buyer.
I have also found out that if you do use a tracked service, that eBay may side with the seller making a mockery of their guaranteed delivery motto if someone other than the buyer signs for the goods and walks off with them. A note here if you happen to be a buyer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nowhereman1 said:

So it would be good then to disassemble the kit before shipping it, or leave it built? Or does it even matter?

I know a lot of people here are resellers and have great advice, however, my humble advice as simply a customer (collector) trying to play catch-up on sets missed while I was in the dark ages: it depends on if it is partially built, etc, but basically: Detailed photos of what is built; any remaining unsealed bags, instructions, box if applicable; overall photos (showing everything in a single shot); and post-breakdown photo of bags showing organization (i.e. parted by color / size / type / floor) and of course, the description explaining it (i.e. LEGO modular built and displayed only from a child/pet-free home; please see photos of various angles of built item; in addition, carefully disassembled and bagged by floor to provide safe shipping and allow you to enjoy a stress-free build.).

Edited by kris_1973
  • Like 2

I sell off all of my used sets on ebay once i get tired/bored of displaying them. This frees up money to go on to the next display model for the collection ;) Some i put away in storage, but many i sell off. I've never had anyone come back and claim there was a piece missing or they were unhappy with the purchase.

However i do list that the item is "likely" complete, but could be missing a piece or 2, and i usually list it at %99.9 complete in the listing. I also say in the listing that if there is a piece missing to contact me before leaving feedback so i can make it right. Maybe i just haven't run into the %1 troublemakers yet for used sets, but i haven't had any issues so far.

Guest TabbyBoy

If I selll anything on eBay, whether it's LEGO, bike parts, lingerie, gardening equipment or other, I always describe the box and contents as accurately as possible. I even make scratches and dents appear worse than they actually are so that the buyer is pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

If I have an item that is particularly bad, I just list it as a 1p start auction and let it ride.

This strategy has helped my build contacts and has resulted in a lot of "offline" sales meaning greater profits. Honest descriptions and good customer service are by far the most important aspects of any online business.

18 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

If I selll anything on eBay, whether it's LEGO, bike parts, lingerie, gardening equipment or other, I always describe the box and contents as accurately as possible. I even make scratches and dents appear worse than they actually are so that the buyer is pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

If I have an item that is particularly bad, I just list it as a 1p start auction and let it ride.

This strategy has helped my build contacts and has resulted in a lot of "offline" sales meaning greater profits. Honest descriptions and good customer service are by far the most important aspects of any online business.

This is true, with used stuff that may have wear etc... it's always best to make it worse than it actually is. NOT the other way around.

Likewise if I sell 100 pieces I put in 105. If I sell 5kg I try to make sure its over 5kg. Of Lego! NOT including the packaging. And I try to put the exact count or weight in the description.

Too many sellers when selling bulk, say 5 or 10kg and only send 4 or 9. I WILL complain about this.

As Tabbyboy says it can lead to other sales. I sold one set via eBay to someone in Australia who asked have I any more... Well yes as you ask, another 50 since you ask that I had not got around to listing. He got 35 of them 20% off, I paid no fees. :)

Edited by CNH1974
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

This is true, with used stuff that may have wear etc... it's always best to make it worse than it actually is. NOT the other way around.

Likewise if I sell 100 pieces I put in 105. If I sell 5kg I try to make sure its over 5kg. Of Lego! NOT including the packaging. And I try to put the exact count or weight in the description.

Too many sellers when selling bulk, say 5 or 10kg and only send 4 or 9. I WILL complain about this.

As Tabbyboy says it can lead to other sales. I sold one set via eBay to someone in Australia who asked have I any more... Well yes as you ask, another 50 since you ask that I had not got around to listing. He got 35 of them 20% off, I paid no fees. :)

Those crazy Australians.

I've been selling quite a bit of used sets on ebay and have had very good luck with the buyers. I tend to over due it on the packaging to make sure nothing will get damaged or the box open in anyway. One thing I like to do is sort the pieces by color as I take apart the built model to double check that all pieces have been accounted for. I also ship it that way to make it easier for the buyer to build. Smaller sets I dont bother using separate zip locks except the minifigures. I always separate those out with all their accessories. It might be overkill but I feel its appreciated..........:D

Good luck and happy building