Advice on where to sell

Ineti

Hey folks, scanned the forums and didn't exactly find what I was looking for, so... I'm going to be selling a few sets and wanted to get a sense of what the best option is. I've used eBay for a loooong time with no issues and like it except for the $$ cut eBay takes. On some of the higher ticket items I'll be selling, that percentage comes up to quite a bit. Is local Craigslist or another online option a better choice for selling? Thanks for your time.

The question comes up once a month at least.
You'll find the same answers which is basically: YMMV.
I'm not trying to blow you off, I'm informing you. People use this site for several different reasons. Just as people have different strategies for selling their inventory.
If you simply want lowest fees. Brick classified all the way. But you will find that many people use other venues because they have other needs and goals.

It depends on what you're selling and how much you want to get for it.

• Ebay and Amazon probably give you the largest amount of potential buyers, but fees are very high and there's a lot of competition.
  • Bricklink is pretty much only used by real Lego fans. Fees are a lot lower than ebay and amazon, but the prices you'll be able to sell at, are generally a bit lower as well.
  • Brick classifieds does not charge you anything, however there's less people on there so it may be more difficult to find a buyer.
  • On craigslist and other similar websites people generally expect a lower price (in my experience). No fees though, and sometimes people will even come pick the items up.

I mainly use bricklink. I would try brickclassifieds if you're in the US, but there are not a lot of Europeans on there, so it doesn't seem worth it to me personally (not trying to bash brickclassifieds).

Edited by c_rpg
  • Like 1

With high ticket items wait until you get an email from eBay offering a final value fee discount.  They do offer discounts of up to 75% but the offer will be short term, short notice so you have to be ready to list when you get the email. 

Often I've had them come through and only had a few hours to react  before the offer ends.

10 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

Can you cite some specific examples of your higher ticket items? It may help someone give you a better idea.

At the moment, I have a 10179, 10197, and a few other assorted Creator expert sets either new in box or built once/used. I have a lot more to sell, but unfortunately I had sorted them out and now face the prospect of having to collate a 40-year collection back into sets. I barely even know where to begin. :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Sounds like Brick classifieds and ebay if I can score a final value fee discount are going to be good options.

Ebay is always a favourite, but as stated above, for higher ticket prices try and hold out for 24 hour offers on Final Value Fees.  I also use Amazon UK, its slightly more confusing in comparison to eBay and generally its only good if the item you are selling is already on Amazons Stock database, I generally don't split sets on Amazon. Their fees are slightly higher, and you have to wait a bit longer for your money however I find you can charge a premium when selling on Amazon.  The other day I sold a handful of Micro Falcons for £9 more on Amazon then I had them listed on eBay, not sure if the buyers didn't have eBay accounts, had a voucher or just chose not to look else where, it does baffle me sometimes how that happens, but it does !