Those old boxes

Brickdad46

Question

I'm new to this site, so a big hello from Oregon.

I have been buying Lego sets new for the past ten years or so. I purchase them for display. I know they have value so this site is very interesting on that level. Anyway, I have saved all of the boxes that the sets came in (modulars, trains, winter village). The question is do these boxes have any value so that I should keep them, or should I just save the space and recycle them?

8 answers to this question

They have value, especially the older retired sets. Check out Bricklink.com, search a set number then check listings for boxes and maybe instructions too, to get an idea.

That said, if you ever plan to resell any kits from your collection, keeping the original boxes may play to your monetary advantage as a bundle.

I'm more of a collector than a reseller, but I would think the boxes for the retired sets would be worth some money. There are people  that have gotten sets second hand thru ebay or craigslist and want the box or printed manuals to complete the set. You could always check ebay for completed auctions on boxes only

22 minutes ago, Brickdad46 said:

Thanks. you validated my suspicion that they had value. Now I just have to figure out a better place to keep them in good shape.

If you haven't done so, i'd break the seals, and fold them flat.  Then pack them in a larger box and seal that and store it somewhere like a shed, back closet or something.  I keep all the boxes to our open sets.  After a while they just accumulate to where I played the box within a box within a box, like a bunch of russian nesting dolls.  But then that became a hastle too, so now I just pop all the seals, and fold them flat.  On ebay, sets that are complete with the box tend to go for more than sets without box and instructions.  So if you were ever to sell them off, it's worth at least keeping the box.

Edited by fossilrock

I'm also to the point where I'm going to have to start breaking down the boxes from my collection.  My question is about the extra pieces that come in each set.  I've been putting them in zip lock bags and putting them in the boxes with the instructions.  Do others keep the extra pieces of their sets with the actual set?

Thanks.

I would say to a purist, yes folding a large box like a modular for example so there is a crease down the middle would lower its value. It's all about condition to a collector, so one that's been flat packed will be better than one that's been folded.

But do the modern boxes have much value? Because they are just a cardboard box with a picture. Whereas in the 80s and earlier the box used to show alternative models, also it would have other cardboard and plastic internals. With the exception of the Ideas theme boxes theres no much thought gone into the modern box design.