Comics

Not sure if your looking for new, old, anything... genre or what... But right off the top of my head the ones that jump out at me from when I used to collect, Preacher, Anything Sin City, Watchmen, Anything Neil Gaiman Sandman, Marvel Zombies, Anything Hellboy, Might as well pick up Infinity Gauntlet/Wars, Heavy Liquid... And a whole bunch more depending on whatcha into.

I could use some advice as well, atm it's mainly image because i have no idea where to start with other publishers.
Things I loved in the last months:
Airboy, manifest destiny, birthright, walking dead, the rattler, i hate fairyland, saga, Southern bastards...

5 minutes ago, BP said:

I could use some advice as well, atm it's mainly image because i have no idea where to start with other publishers.
Things I loved in the last months:
Airboy, manifest destiny, birthright, walking dead, the rattler, i hate fairyland, saga, Southern bastards...

How much of the Walking Dead did you read? I was thinking about buying one of the big compendiums. They're the cheapest as far as getting the most content. Each one collects 48 issues. And they sell for like $40. I've also heard alot about Saga. How good is it?

7 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

What are you interested in? This is a pretty wide open question.

I'm just now starting to read (comics, that is). I've mostly been considering older stuff from the 80's and 90's; Cerebus the Aardvark, Usagi Yojimbo, etc. I tend to like longer, epic stories that last a while, and that I get more bang for my buck. I'm trying to start out with the really acclaimed classic stuff and bridge out. Like I said in my earlier post, I just ordered The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and Maus. Will probably order the first volume or so of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, soon. I like serious stuff and I like satirical stuff, but not goofy, slapstick stuff. Not really interested in much from the past decade or so. Will probably start reading the Walking Dead though at some point. Not crazy about superheroes either, with the exception of Batman. I got atleast a dozen Batman graphic novel titles I want to buy and read at some point.

Edited by Stud-Flipper

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:

Ordered Pyongyang: A Journey in Korea, Persepolis, Bone(One Volume Edition), Bottomless Belly Button, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Fun Home, and Epileptic.

Will post a pic of my growing collection once I get them all.

Wish there was more discussion here

Everyone is too busy with the (other) Death Star thread. Haha. Good choice with Bone, I vaguely remember that series.

I've been reading comics for almost 30 years. The type of comics you like will depend on your tastes. A general rule of thumb is whatever genre of movies/tv you like you will also like those kinds of comics. I tend to like non superhero comics. Sci fi, horror, crime fiction. Image/Vertigo are my favorite publishers. Just off the top of my head:

Y The Last Man
Sweet Tooth
Planetary
Alan Moore Swamp Thing run
Preacher
Southern Bastards
Saga
Lazarus
Criminal

If you narrow it down to a particular genre I can give some more suggestions.

Writers that I like include, Brian K Vaughn, Jason Aaron, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Jeff Lemire, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubacker.

1 hour ago, jbacunn said:

I've been reading comics for almost 30 years. The type of comics you like will depend on your tastes. A general rule of thumb is whatever genre of movies/tv you like you will also like those kinds of comics. I tend to like non superhero comics. Sci fi, horror, crime fiction. Image/Vertigo are my favorite publishers. Just off the top of my head:

Y The Last Man
Sweet Tooth
Planetary
Alan Moore Swamp Thing run
Preacher
Southern Bastards
Saga
Lazarus
Criminal

If you narrow it down to a particular genre I can give some more suggestions.

Writers that I like include, Brian K Vaughn, Jason Aaron, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Jeff Lemire, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubacker.

Looks like my kind of taste. 

Southern Bastards, Saga & Y The last man are in my reading list already, love all three of them. 

I'll check out all the other ones you suggested. Thx. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, BP said:

Sweet Tooth was absolutely fantastic, marvelous!

Planetary is ok, allthough I haven't got that 'hook' yet. 

I liked Planetary all right. completely disappointed in the ending though. I liked it as I read each issue and saw how he changed up the origins of comic heroes and stories.

Have you read Transmetropolitan?