Will a set ever surpass the Taj Mahal in piece count?

Stud-Flipper

I think Lego already has.  42055 (BWE) fits so perfectly with the B-model (aggregate processing plant), perhaps the best A- and B-model combo that Lego has ever released, certainly the most complimentary that should be built and displayed as a single piece.  I know many, many AFOL buddies that have purchased 2 of these (including myself).  Given that 42055 is a 3925 piece kit, this puts the total parts count at about 7900.  IMHO, this is the largest Lego set released, and Lego gave us the option of purchasing it in 2 separate chunks.

Edited by diablo2112

I think Lego already has.  42055 (BWE) fits so perfectly with the B-model (aggregate processing plant), perhaps the best A- and B-model combo that Lego has ever released, certainly the most complimentary that should be built and displayed as a single piece.  I know many, many AFOL buddies that have purchased 2 of these (including myself).  Given that 42055 is a 3925 piece kit, this puts the total parts count at about 7900.  IMHO, this is the largest Lego set released, and Lego gave us the option of purchasing it in 2 separate chunks.

Although encouraging and I love the 42055, it is not that fair to compare that as overtaking the Taj especially by using 2 sets of 42055 to break the record. Fairness dictates that it should be 1 set or 1 proper lego build set to dethrone the Taj?

I don't have the Taj personally as I come out of my dark ages a bit late.

Anyway on another note, I believe that Lego will produce a set that will surpassed the Taj in piece count but I believe it might be plenty of small pieces or even techic connectors that take the win. How long before that appear will remains to be seen but guessing in the next 2 years?