71042 - Silent Mary

Alpinemaps

11 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Something to consider...60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel is very popular and doing quite well. I know...different theme, but it just goes to show that people love ship wrecks. This set might surprise some people. That being said...I have yet to buy any even though I’ve got 20+ 60095.

A hell lot of apples and oranges lying around here...

11 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Something to consider...60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel is very popular and doing quite well. I know...different theme, but it just goes to show that people love ship wrecks. This set might surprise some people. That being said...I have yet to buy any even though I’ve got 20+ 60095.

In the good ole' days, any big and different set you bought would appreciate well after retirement.  But the thing was, there really weren't that many "big" sets.  Today, we have so many options when discussing larger sets that it impossible for most resellers to stock up on every one.  There will be some sets that are ignored, even though they are discussed readily on this site.  The Silent Mary might be that set.  Talked about, but not hoarded and worth $500.00 next year.  Or not...

1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

The same happened to Town Hall and Taj Mahal...

A lot of apples and oranges rolling around here, too...

27 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Target only has 10 left at $150. Was hoping to grab one with a discounted gift card but looks unlikely now. 

Backordered at lego, amazon full rrp, wm oos

You better stay away. This shipwreck is only going to get you shipwrecked.

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

A lot of apples and oranges rolling around here, too...GREAT FOR STUFFING A TURKEY WITH !!!

You better stay away. This shipwreck is only going to get you shipwrecked... WISE WORDS & GREAT ADVICE !!!

I'll guess... 1x RRP after fees in year 2 than tanking to 0.8x RRP in year 3?

Guest TabbyBoy

UK ONLY

I'll put my money where my mouth is..... If this sells for >£230 (allowing for fees/box/bubble-wrap/shipping/tax) on eBay UK within 6 months of EOL, I will send a FREE 70618 Destinys Bounty to the first UK BrickPicker that sends me a PM after official EOL and wants to build it, not resell it. It will be new/sealed, but box may have some shelf wear. Why would it matter if you're building it?

Edited by TabbyBoy

16 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

UK ONLY

I'll put my money where my mouth is..... If this sells for >£230 (allowing for fees/box/bubble-wrap/shipping/tax) on eBay UK within 6 months of EOL, I will send a FREE 70618 Destinys Bounty to the first UK BrickPicker that sends me a PM after official EOL and wants to build it, not resell it. It will be new/sealed, but box may have some shelf wear. Why would it matter if you're building it?

Maybe we could lower the stakes and say if DB sells for RRP after fees within 6 months of EOL, you´ll give away a Silent Mary!

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Maybe we could lower the stakes and say if DB sells for RRP after fees within 6 months of EOL, you´ll give away a Silent Mary!

I'll leave that offer for somebody else., perhaps you?

Also, how can I give away something that I will never ever have?

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, terrymc4677 said:

60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel is very popular and doing quite well. I know...different theme, but it just goes to show that people love ship wrecks.

I wonder if people generally are more interested in wrecks of any sort over the perfectly pristine when it comes to building something for play or display. While a flawless let's say pirate ship since here we are makes for a fine display already, the wrecked version conceptually, visually, and constructively is much more intriguing (perhaps not always appealing but altogether intriguing). When wreckage done right what you are seeing not only gives an idea of everything the structure has gone through but also a glimpse as to what it used to be in its heyday before getting smacked around.

24 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

I wonder if people generally are more interested in wrecks of any sort over the perfectly pristine when it comes to building something for play or display. While a flawless let's say pirate ship since here we are makes for a fine display already, the wrecked version conceptually, visually, and constructively is much more intriguing (perhaps not always appealing but altogether intriguing). When wreckage done right what you are seeing not only gives an idea of everything the structure has gone through but also a glimpse as to what it used to be in its heyday before getting smacked around.

looks too busy for my taste...even in the above picture...when I zoom into the display...no idea what's really happening...I know the extra gremeling by the displayer adds to the busy-ness and blurrrs the exposed frame that this set really emphasizes

this could be like the White Mellenium Falcon...a must have for ship collectors because it's unique and not likely ever re-made

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Was just reading through this thread so many expecting this set to be a failure. I only bought a few lowest buy in for me was $139 from amazon 2 years ago. 

It's increased in the past 3 months.  Like every other set I've taken a look at.  This set retired a year and a half ago. It's increase is likely attributed to the overall demand for Lego due to the pandemic.  People learn about old sets and then purchase.  I imagine the price will stick this way for a lot of older sets because of inventory becoming overall less.

18 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Was just reading through this thread so many expecting this set to be a failure. I only bought a few lowest buy in for me was $139 from amazon 2 years ago. 

Like the previous poster said, the last 3 months have done wonders for this set. Before coronavirus this set had been a failure.