Is it best to sell my Star Wars Lego collection as a group or individually?

Bob B

Question

12 answers to this question

I got a full set of all of the early star wars sets new in sealed boxes from a guy on Craig's list. Saw the ads for a few weeks not selling, so I made a lower offer and made the deal. I listed them individually on ebay and all of them sold within 2-3 months with the exception of one (7171 droid starfighter which I still have.) Made more that double my original investment. Selling individually is going to get you the most money.

• Like 2

Agree, these are really only desirable to collectors & only a very few of them are really sought after, but they can pull the others along with them to a point.  the best market for early SW sets actually isn't the Lego community itself but rather the con crowd, if your area has local antique toy markets, collector flees,  geek or SiFi cons that's the best place/time to move these stashes at significant advantage.

If you want to make more $, sell them individually - but if you insist on making less $, then sell them as a group.

If you are simply looking to move them quick, and have no real interest in LEGO, a group auction might be able to gain some decent interest.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kfishe2 said:

I got a full set of all of the early star wars sets new in sealed boxes from a guy on Craig's list. Saw the ads for a few weeks not selling, so I made a lower offer and made the deal. I listed them individually on ebay and all of them sold within 2-3 months with the exception of one (7171 droid starfighter which I still have.) Made more that double my original investment. Selling individually is going to get you the most money.

For truth.

5 hours ago, kfishe2 said:

5 hours ago, kfishe2 said:

Thank you for your help...if you don't mind me asking...what were you able to sell them for total? I'm trying to figure out what's reasonable and what to expect. Thanks again!!

Bob

14 hours ago, Bob B said:

Hi, I have the Star Wars 1999 collection all unopened and in great condition...minus one (7128). Is it best to sell as a group or individually? Thank you for your help! 

Thank you for your help and input I appreciate it! 

Bob

Thank you for your help...if you don't mind me asking...what were you able to sell them for total? I'm trying to figure out what's reasonable and what to expect. Thanks again!!

Bob

Put the set numbers into the brickpicker search and you will get your approximate values. Thats what I based my prices off of and then made adjustments based on recent ebay sales. As long as they are priced right they should move. There are buyers that even want the dumb looking ones. The buy-in for my lot was $325 and I cleared $700 after fees and shipping and TAXES.

Stop hating on the classic sets - At least they had unique printed pieces, and no stickers.

You have to admit, most of them look pretty bad by today's comparison. But for their time yeah they were awesome. Best part was there is not a lot of competition on ebay for nib sets. I was only competing against 15-20 sellers for each set, and a good number of those were wackos that wanted $300 for a $50 set.

On June 11, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Thumper said:

Agree, these are really only desirable to collectors & only a very few of them are really sought after, but they can pull the others along with them to a point.  the best market for early SW sets actually isn't the Lego community itself but rather the con crowd, if your area has local antique toy markets, collector flees,  geek or SiFi cons that's the best place/time to move these stashes at significant advantage.

Comic-con  is coming soon. Any suggestions on how I can tap into this market? I'm looking to clear out my inventory. Thanks!

• Like 1