Fake 10179 Set?

I'm being offered a 100% complete MF 10179 1st Ed set. Reasonable price I think, $2800. Everything except certificate envelope and box. Everything's in good condition but there's one detail that confuses/worries me..

The certificate states it's no 14,342 (made up, it's in 14 thousands), but the plaque has the "12 laser cannons" error. Wasn't that error supposed to be limited to the earliest run on the 10179?

The seller is local, so I can check it out myself...

I hope one of you SW vets can help me! Love you all!!

15 hours ago, NizNoz said:

I'm being offered a 100% complete MF 10179 1st Ed set. Reasonable price I think, $2800. Everything except certificate envelope and box. Everything's in good condition but there's one detail that confuses/worries me..

The certificate states it's no 14,342 (made up, it's in 14 thousands), but the plaque has the "12 laser cannons" error. Wasn't that error supposed to be limited to the earliest run on the 10179?

The seller is local, so I can check it out myself...

I hope one of you SW vets can help me! Love you all!!

Without box and certificate (or envelope) it's almost certainly a Bricklinked cobbled together version of the set.  Now that's not entirely a bad thing it's just not an original set & wouldn't have the same value only to collectors & enthusiasts... it's still allot of Lego!  It would cost nearly $3300.oo (CDN) to put the set together (not including shipping from multiple vendors) with set-accurate parts.

However, if the certificate is fake there's a good chance many other parts are substitutions as well - the fake stickers are easily available on-line in both versions as well.  if you have a chance to physically inspect the set the first thing to check is the  radar dish (many are stickers & home reprints using cheep pad printers)  btw I thought there were only 10,000 1st editions with the certificates. Other things to check for originality include the Instructions of course, LBG boat masts, LBG levers,  LB rigid hoses these are the most commonly substituted or faked parts and can account for $1200-$1500 (CDN) of the value of the set itself. 

All this to say if you aren't sure the unique parts are original than what you have $1800 (+ shippings) worth of parts that someone has taken the time to amalgamate for you.  IMO $2800 is a bit high $2000 - $2200 (CDN) would be a more reasonable target to offer. 

Thanks for that, especially pointing out the specific parts. I've seen pics and they look like the correct colours. Ive included some. I need to clarify a few things though. There is a certificate (just no envelope), but no box. The only suspicious thing to me was the sticker..

And that's US$2800, not Canadian. I'm taking it this isn't such a good deal... I was comparing it to eBay listings.. 90c22aa3ea40beb813f2e5bb418e758a.jpg7fdd9e1333c359ebc111f3ce3ae8f3af.jpg9ae6bffe99f055f4863831ce1c179cb0.jpgd435c2e85007bd921b49507069031c42.jpgda97e91d5214f08b1b8657ae072f5c75.jpg

1 hour ago, NizNoz said:

Also, and others can back me up here.. there were definitely more than 10,000 produced, and I've seen a post suggesting a certificate in the 19,000 range.

There were more than 10,000.  I have seen them in the upper teens.

9 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

There were more than 10,000.  I have seen them in the upper teens.

Since we have seen 10179 certificates greater than 10,001, do you think these are replacement ones sent by customer support (e.g. People who called in during the late 2000s because they lost theirs)?

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Since we have seen 10179 certificates greater than 10,001, do you think these are replacement ones sent by customer support (e.g. People who called in during the late 2000s because they lost theirs)?

I think there were thousands more sold than 10,000.  I really never saw anything that said 10,000.

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

You'd be talking about thousands of people who didn't care enough to put their certificate someplace secure and then later on caring enough to try to get a replacement?

39 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

You'd be talking about thousands of people who didn't care enough to put their certificate someplace secure and then later on caring enough to try to get a replacement?

Who knows. I never saw a high # until i posted that pic above. That is why I asked Ed. My # is 4K something. 

I guess I'll challenge the seller on how he got a plaque decal that has the early run text yet has a late issue COA number. Maybe shave a few bucks off...

Not sure what you can challenge. If the box is included and has the special edition logo, that is good. Having a certificate probably means it was an early run so no problem there. If the set is complete (all correct elements) , manual and instruction booklet is there, you are good.

From what I've read searching an old thread, Lego had no intention of fixing or even replacing the stickers. Some say they were told they were fixing it. Depending who you talked to I guess. Though these posts were from 2007 and the MF was new.  

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23923&highlight=&sid=ebfa31881c9ed9210d4b6bc38b4f0d13

Edited by MarleyMoose