First LEGO set you owned

Lordoflego

Born in 1981. I had a few mid-80's City, Space, and Castle as my "first", but only recognize them randomly when I stumble across them.

The one that I do vividly recall as my earliest favorite was this beauty below. It was the first vintage set I went out and hunted down on Ebay when I came out of my dark ages back in 2013. Was able to get it for $25 - a bargain given the sentimental value - and it's been "refurbished" (all parts cleaned to perfection, faded ones replaced, etc), and displayed prominently in on display shelves ever since (of course, it's come to be surrounded by over 200 other childhood sets I've reacquired the past few years).

4c31b747d2fad905f1f6103ac48ffa02.jpg

• Like 4

latest?cb=20100509185318

I owned some smaller space sets before 6928, but the Uranium Search Vehicle was my favorite. There are some pretty sweet MOCs out there of beefier, modernized versions (see below). I rebuilt this not long ago and was really disappointed with the build. Lego has come a looooong way since the early '80s. 

6224976769_179677e262_b.jpg

• Like 3

I was 6 years old. First set, not my pic though. My grandpa thought that standard LEGO is too childish, so he bought this. Apparently, as it turns out this is one of the (if not the most) hardest to assemble Technic sets of all time.

latest?cb=20090919160223

Edited by inversion
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

Was looking in my parents loft at the weekend and found an old box of Lego, so my son and I had a bespoke building session! The jet looks like it may have once been set 6368 and the fire station set 6382. Either way these sets are some of the first I can remember as a kid and therefore my first owned, was good to recreate some fond memories! 

I spy two Crater Plates, a trans yellow 3036 plate and a heap of classic space parts.  Alpha-1 Rocket Base maybe, or Beta I Command Base, perhaps.  You may want see what classic space sets you have there. And if I’m not mistaken a 854 Go-Kart.  

854-1.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, feed said:
I spy two Crater Plates, a trans yellow 3036 plate and a heap of classic space parts.  Alpha-1 Rocket Base maybe, or Beta I Command Base, perhaps.  You may want see what classic space sets you have there. And if I’m not mistaken a 854 Go-Kart.

Oooooh yes the Go-Kart, I also remember that!!! There is loads of cool stuff there, some really nice pieces!! Just a shame like most vintage sets, half the bits were sucked up the hoover and never to be seen again!!

brickpicker_set_1464_1.jpg

This was my very very first set, a polybag that I remember putting together sitting in the shopping cart while my mom did her shopping. I was probably 4?

But then the next year I got a proper set. Of course I wanted the Skull's Eye, but this satisfied many a pirate adventure for years following! 

001.jpg

• Like 2

I love this thread! About five months ago, my mom brought out a box from her storage with some old stuff in it and sitting there was the only Lego set my brother and I had when we were kids. We did have some basic bricks but this was the only actual set we had. We were well below middle-class when I was young so we didn't have much toys, let alone Lego. I still have vivid memories of building this set over and over again and playing with it. 

Lego Police 1.jpg

Lego Police 2.jpg

• Like 8

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, lobo1969 said:

My first Technic set. I only post this one because I got so much mileage out of it when I was a kid. I loved the vintage Space sets more but parts from 853 was the 'backbone' in all my creations.

Speaking of technic, I remember those 2 as a kid, technic with figure and skis :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, wolvergeek said:

This was the first set I bought on my own with my paper route money. I swear it was like $50 back in 1986. I think I had a small space set from my parents before this one.

I remember getting this set for my 9th birthday...and I still have it

6 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

Speaking of technic, I remember those 2 as a kid, technic with figure and skis :) 

I got the 853 decades ago as well, and still have it with the original box. Still a cool set

I don't remember which set I I fot first exactly. I grew up in the Netherlands and my uncles actually grew up with it in the 50's and 69's and so my grand parents had a lot of the really old sets for us (the grand children) to play with. I do vividly remember Lego coming out with the more blue like space sets and me getting a lot of these on one of my birthdays. I still have them all and just built them again with my 5 y.o.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4