Brand new minifigures - assembled or unassembled for Ebay. Quick vote!

I would have thought that assembling them to take a picture for Ebay would be the way to go but I'm seeing that some people think this is a big no no.

If you sell new minifigures on ebay what do you recommend? Assembled? Unassembled? Assemble for the photo then break down afterwards?

It seems like such a minute detail but I want to get this right. I know there'll be some for one way and some for another - I just want to get an idea of the majority.

Thanks!

Oh - and if it has accessories - bagged seperately or with the minifig? Its all so complicated! :)

• Like 1

If it's a new minifigure parted out directly from a set, I make sure it's never assembled. I'll use a stock photo of the minifig from lego's site, or take a photo of a copy in my personal collection, and clearly note that the figure they're buying is not the instance pictured, but a brand new one, handled only through extracting from the original set and bagging for shipping, but no more than that. I'll usually use a smaller baggy for the accessories, placed inside the baggy with the minifig parts.

Once a brick has locked in with another brick using friction, it can be considered a used product in my opinion. 

• Like 3

99.9% of the time I shipped disassembled. 1) I don't have time to assemble every minifig I part out. 2) Some buyers might think its been played with/used if shipped assembled. I do assembled some such as the animals from Minecraft line because I don't ship the instructions. Instead of getting complaints from customers about missing instructions, I just quickly assemble the wolf, sheep the pig etc. So far, no problem.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 1

I seem to sell faster with real photos of assembled figs. I ship figs unassembled with accessories in the same bag. I don't mention that figs are sent unassembled in my listings. As a buyer, I appreciate unassembled figs, but still choose based on price and feedback.

• Like 1

Unassembled all the way. There have been instances where buyers have complained that assembled minifigs arrived damaged or are considered used. This is especially problematic if the minifig includes a cape that was definitely used and assembled. Just my two cents...

Huh. I'm surprised I must admit - I thought there would have been more of an even spread. My only problem with this is as Randrace mentioned, I prefer not to use stock photos so people can see for sure what they're getting. I suppose I could always use a stock photo as the main picture and then have a photo of the components in the actual listing?

And hey, Ironbrick - totally agree with the cape and parts that would come in separate bags (eg Iron mans helmet). And your two cents is exactly what I was asking for so thank you!

Thanks guys - I appreciate peoples comments. Very helpful to a newbie like me. I want to provide the best service I can in a crowded field so I want to get as many things as I can right as quick as i can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ironbrick said:

Unassembled all the way. There have been instances where buyers have complained that assembled minifigs arrived damaged or are considered used. This is especially problematic if the minifig includes a cape that was definitely used and assembled. Just my two cents...

Agreed about the capes and other cloth pieces. Those should be left in the protective cardboard when available.

3 minutes ago, melike75 said:

Huh. I'm surprised I must admit - I thought there would have been more of an even spread. My only problem with this is as Randrace mentioned, I prefer not to use stock photos so people can see for sure what they're getting. I suppose I could always use a stock photo as the main picture and then have a photo of the components in the actual listing?

And hey, Ironbrick - totally agree with the cape and parts that would come in separate bags (eg Iron mans helmet). And your two cents is exactly what I was asking for so thank you!

Thanks guys - I appreciate peoples comments. Very helpful to a newbie like me. I want to provide the best service I can in a crowded field so I want to get as many things as I can right as quick as i can.

I have bought many parted out minifigures and I don't really care if they come assembled or not. I think you should just be honest - if assembled, just state that it is. Of course, around these parts you're asking a group of people who generally READ the listing as opposed to the typical buyer.

Well at this stage I havent assembled anything - the only minifigs I've sold in the past have been used and listed as such so this is my first foray into selling new minifigures. I thought there was an advantage in assembling them simply for the purpose of the photo for ebay. I'd like to know what people do in this case - do you just use stock photos?

And good point bout most people not actually reading the listing... ;)

Stock photo. Description including reference to "stock photo used for illustrative purposes - actual item never assembled". Sold hundreds that way, never a single issue. Use a photo of the unassembled minifig as a pic#2 if you're concerned about including the "actual item" in a photo.

• Like 1

Unassembled!   as a buyer myself it's always kinda little disappointing, or anti climatic if you like, when you receive a minifig (new) that all you do is pull from the bag & put in the display frame on the wall. It's only 2 seconds, but that's part of the fun that just isn't the same if you've just taken it apart only to put back together yourself.

On Bricklink, I always pack each figure unassembled in a 2x3 6mm (extra thick) ziplock with it's own accessories, and each figure component is put in the zip in a specific order to protect certain parts & for maximum presentation appearance.   

In over 25,000 minifig sales the only complaint I had was from one fellow that was upset that I sent the cape in the bag with the unassembled minifig parts & not in it's original little box (that was a box with 3 other capes inside for different figs anyway so no one got the box).

I know what you mean! Its only a few seconds but theres a little bit of triumph I feel when the minifigure is complete and raring to go! :)

And Thumper - I'm curious now...whats your specific order for maximum presentation appearance? Or is it a trade secret? ;) I'll have to buy one off you to find out!

And 25,000 minifig sales! YEESH! I've got a ways to go.

1 hour ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Stock photo. Description including reference to "stock photo used for illustrative purposes - actual item never assembled". Sold hundreds that way, never a single issue. Use a photo of the unassembled minifig as a pic#2 if you're concerned about including the "actual item" in a photo.

That's what I've done. Stock photo of the assembled minifig, plus photo of the pieces separated but arranged in proper configuration. Capes etc. stay in cardboard box, except where not possible (e.g. Livi from Popstar Dressing room - all 3 her capes are in 1 box, but only one belongs to the minifig. Of course one can decide to sell Livi with all 3 of her capes, but my minifigs are for BL listing first, EBay only sometimes).

That's what I've done. Stock photo of the assembled minifig, plus photo of the pieces separated but arranged in proper configuration. Capes etc. stay in cardboard box, except where not possible (e.g. Livi from Popstar Dressing room - all 3 her capes are in 1 box, but only one belongs to the minifig. Of course one can decide to sell Livi with all 3 of her capes, but my minifigs are for BL listing first, EBay only sometimes).

Agreed.

Key to selling on Ebay is to consider your target market. Selling to casual shoppers (i.e., not an AFOL like us)? They seem to notice a stock photo better (the pic simply looks cleaner and more eye catching in a search result feed - unless you're a very good photographer).

Selling to AFOL's? It's pretty mixed - most will trust a stock photo (and recognize it's implications) + description + feedback history, and know exactly what they're buying (new-parted-out, never assembled); only some will want to see the actual in-hand item to be 100% clear on what they're getting (ensuring no stock photo mistakes, and all shown accessories are there). In my experience, though, someone who cares to see the in-hand actual item are more likely to be so perfectionists or "expecting to get screwed over" that they'll take issue with any minor hiccup (micro-scratching that naturally occurs, slow USPS shipping time, etc).

Add in the fact I can post a stock photo in 30 seconds, compared to several minutes for a (low quality) photo, and its a no brainer to me. But if you've got a slick photo setup and lack a strong seller reputation, you could certainly be justified using actual item photos. Just be sure to note something to the effect of "New = only assembled once, briefly for photo purposes".

• Like 1