Art of the Brick at Pacific Science Center (US/Seattle)

henrysunset

I had the pleasure to see the exhibit in New York two years ago, and to preview the brand new Seattle exhibit on Thursday night.  It is a fantastic show, and the Pacific Science Center has used a large exhibition space for the show, allowing ample space to walk around the 3D art pieces and see them from multiple perspectives.    The show opens this Saturday, 5/28 and will remain in Seattle through September 11th.

Posted Image
The gallery begins with LEGO re-creations of famous paintings and sculpture. One of my favorites was “The Great Wave off Kanagawa”

I have prepared a preview and gallery of the Seattle exhibit at my website.  The article includes photos of about 1/3 of the art on display at the show, and includes my thoughts on the favorite pieces in the exhibit.

Posted Image
The highlight of the show are the creative sculptures, usually featuring human forms and complex subjects, such as his most famous work which is simply titled "Yellow".

The exhibit explores three main themes: LEGO re-creations of famous artworks, unique sculptures by artist Nathan Sawaya, and some mixed-media and performance art pieces.  It is a large exhibit which you will need at least an hour to fully appreciate.

Posted Image
He is also famous for performance art pieces where he decorated his home city of New York with these "Hugman" sculptures.

The exhibit closes with a unique piece which he created just for Seattle.  I do show photos of that piece on my website, but aren't showing them here in case you don't want to be spoiled!

LINK: http://brickarchitect.com/2016/art-of-the-brick/

It is an exhibit that is not to be missed.  It is simultaneously a fantastic LEGO show, and a serious art exhibit by a talented sculptor.  This exhibit has something for everyone!

Sincerely,
Tom Alphin

Tom is the author of the book The LEGO Architect, 2015, No Starch Press. 

Edited by henrysunset
  • Like 1

Yep - great exhibit - have seen the one in the Cincinnati Museum Center. Took millions of pictures to look over at home. My favorites are the cooperation pieces where normal photographs are combined with LEGO objects. Wonderful.

EDIT: I hadn't read your review when I posted this and I see that you and I have contrary opinions on the Mixed Media piece. I thought it was clever and provided a nice "where's the LEGO" search for the kids. But I can see your point as well - it sort of hides the beauty of his creations.

Edited by Phil B