Storing LEGO in an outdoor Mini Storage building

ISO8T0

Ok this question is for those of you who HAVE stored or are storing sets in outdoor mini storage buildings.

I need to store my sets about 4 shelves worth. in a mini storage building temporarily for an up coming house move.

Some sets are packed in boxes per @emazers suggestion, some are in lego shipping boxes and some are just stored on the shelf.

Since I'll be storing during the summertime I have a concern about heat. (not humidity). I'm in the South East and the hottest part of our summer kicks in around July/August time.

I'm pretty sure I won't be in the new house by July.

Anyone with experience with this let me know.

19 minutes ago, KShine said:

Will this by any chance be in the shade? I would think that for a short period of time, they should be fine. Best not to do it of course, but they would likely be fine.

no shade. This is the kind of place I'm talking about.

mini_storage_fs.jpg

More of a question than a comment here. Don't some of the retailers like Walmart store overflow toys, i.e. LEGO sets in metal shipping containers outside the store? I know from my Army career that those things certainly aren't climate controlled and are about a bazillion degrees inside in the summer months. Can anyone confirm or deny this practice?

If you're concerned, pack them all in boxes first. Those boxes will absorb excess moisture first... Then make sure they are off the floor separated by a material that won't wick moisture from the floor. Then don't move on a humid day or if you do, be speedy. And lastly pack it and leave it shut.

It's not a little humidity or heat or cold that kills boxes - it's the wild fluctuations over short times that'll do it.

Pack those boxes nice and tight and they'll be fine.

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I had most of my entire house contents, along with totes and boxes stacked 10+ feet tall and 4-5x deep in a storage building for over a year and none of them were damaged by it.  I've since sold many of those items.

ran out of room for lego at home, huh?  push comes to shove... gotta look after all those sets.  bye bye furniture and clothing.  kids, welcome to boarding school -  its just like Hogwarts - except without the wizards or magic.

Edited by cladner

11 minutes ago, cladner said:

ran out of room for lego at home, huh?  push comes to shove... gotta look after all those sets.  bye bye furniture and clothing.  kids, welcome to boarding school -  its just like Hogwarts - except without the wizards or magic.

Well, I was building a house and renting for a year, so all the non-necessities were put into storage.

14 minutes ago, gregpj said:

If you're concerned, pack them all in boxes first. Those boxes will absorb excess moisture first... Then make sure they are off the floor separated by a material that won't wick moisture from the floor. Then don't move on a humid day or if you do, be speedy. And lastly pack it and leave it shut.

It's not a little humidity or heat or cold that kills boxes - it's the wild fluctuations over short times that'll do it.

Pack those boxes nice and tight and they'll be fine.

Yep, mine were packed tight and I put down tarps on the floor as a moisture barrier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I'll be temp moving shelves & sets to a storage unit until we can move to the new house.

Need to thin out items in the house so that we can get ready to show it to sell. If all goes well we will be selling, buying and moving in 4 months.

I'm pretty sure that this temp move will be fine for the sets (in boxes), but wanted to just check and make sure.

The price difference (in my area) for climate control vs. non is almost double.