Best sales month ever - Seems unusual

jeff_14

This really isn't to brag but more market speculation/observation in nature. I average about $500 CDN a month in sales using Craigslist and Amazon only. Christmas is better obviously but I've noticed a lot of people commenting about sales being down since then whereas with over a week left in this month I've already had my best sales ever at $800. Nothing else has changed as best I can tell. No material additions to the sets offered or changes to price. In fact one of my better sellers the Raptor Rampage is dead now that sets are back in store. I'm selling a mix of Hobbit, superheroes, and Star Wars primarily. Just thought it was an odd result given the prevailing sentiment out there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, megahuts said:

All markets, esp Craigslist and Kijiji are local. I imagine our friends out West are having a horrible time.

Coincidentally, I just shipped 3 sets to Alberta and Sask this morning. I get a lot of business from out there. And when I buy sets I don't get them sales tax free like in Alberta.

26 minutes ago, dah_hunter said:

I have only used Amazon once and i lost money on shipping. 

I sold Rey Speeder. Amazon Charges 4.99 shipping.. Well for me to ship it was like $12 (Thats BC to Ontario) 

So either im not understanding amazon selling or is that just normal and we have to just eat that. 

You have to factor in at least another $8-10 into your price above their shipping rebate when setting your price on Amazon. I have my Amazon and Craigslist prices set up so that I net the same from each source, so if you're a buyer you'll pay less going through Craigslist. Still, people like that easy and trustworthy Amazon process so the higher fees don't seem to be discouraging people.

29 minutes ago, dah_hunter said:

I have only used Amazon once and i lost money on shipping. 

I sold Rey Speeder. Amazon Charges 4.99 shipping.. Well for me to ship it was like $12 (Thats BC to Ontario) 

So either im not understanding amazon selling or is that just normal and we have to just eat that. 

Forgot to add, you might want to check that you have the official listing for Rey's speeder. Amazon reimburses a standard $6.99 on toys, so it seems like you may be using a derivative customized listing.

I was one of the ones commenting on declined sales.... but that was a week ago. I'm back on track to hit my average (for the last 3 months anyway) of 1k in sales. The extra 29th day in Feb this year may help that average too.

I'm selling mostly used sets at the moment, and I find the biggest ticket is to just get more SKUs on the shelf. The more listings you have, the more buyers you'll pull in from different search results, and in turn they might explore your other listings. I simply listed more stuff, generated interest on it and some of the existing listings that have been around for a while. 

• Like 2

February is always a great month (second only to November) for me as a seller anyway... The buyer's Christmas bills have all been paid, the credit-card cashback programmes for the previous year are all coming in, there's allot of winter left so hobby spending is naturally gonna pick up - "now it's for me not a just a gift for someone else!", tax returns are just around the corner so there's money to play with (and can easily be paid back in a month or two).  ...and the SO is still happy & forgiving on self-purchases since the 14th was such a success & is still in short term memory.

Best thing about February is the big stuff now starts to move instead of just the little <$50 gift stuffs!

So no one sells ebay? When i checked Amazon vs ebay i found amazon a bit more expensive, ebay tends to take 10-12%. And quick question about craigs list.. do you guys mail them out or meet up with the people? Ive just stared getting ready to sell. My ebay is up and paypal ready but was looking more toward criags list and kajiji.. any thoughts would help. just a heads up im not worried about the selling side. have done in in the past and enjoy it almost as much as i enjoying the buying portion ;P

Edited by Substored