Overpricing on Ebay

Roman Around

Question

11 answers to this question

I've done this myself with a couple sets, one-offs I purchased based on forum hype. Put up a 75105 Falcon that I'd got at Costco for ~30% off. Selling it at MSRP would only break even, so I put a tag of $235 CAD (RRP here is $180) and let it ride on the Good Til Cancelled model. Then in early January the set went to OOS Expected Delivery X on Shop@Home, and within a day mine sold at my inflated price. If I hadn't bothered to list it a couple months earlier, I wouldn't have earned ~$40 that day. 

I try to competitively price the stuff I really want to move though, like all the used sets I'm flipping from bulk lots. Easy to organize boxed sets, my bulk horde is a bit of a mess though and needs culling, so I actively watch other listings, sold listings and price accordingly. 

Another thing completely aside, you can easily edit your prices on a listed item... so maybe you're going away for the week and won't be able to ship anything. Rather than put notes in your 200 listings, you can just add a decimal place to the price tag. Way quicker. Nobody buys your stuff while you're away, no hassling buyers. 

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 2

No I asked about this a long time ago. A lot of Ebay sellers will put stuff out there that they don't really want to sell intentionally overpriced so that if it does sell they make a lot. Although I don't know how the costs of posting on ebay work. If it costs a lot then I would think that putting up things that probably won't sell is a waste.

Lately listing has been free. So I'd guess people just put up the price they would like to receive and let it ride. If there are people that have it listed cheaper obviously they will get the sale first (usually), but eventually the price rises and reasonable sellers will get their expected price.

I also noticed  on Ebay they have customized sets, im not on Ebay right now so i can not remember the actual person who sells these. When i say sell these I mean he or she sells instruction manuals only. My question is, is you have a build that is one of a kind (authentic) is this worth more then something you can find that has a million of the same??

16 minutes ago, rdandy5875 said:

Lately listing has been free. So I'd guess people just put up the price they would like to receive and let it ride. If there are people that have it listed cheaper obviously they will get the sale first (usually), but eventually the price rises and reasonable sellers will get their expected price.

So u think its mostly around the hollidays is when the sellers would get there money opposed from just your regular average week?

I have wondered this too, especially when it comes to sets priced in the stratosphere, from sellers with good feedback and other nornally priced items like this one.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEGO-Batman-Man-Bat-Attack-76011-Super-Heroes-Set-Sealed-Box-Free-Shipping-/331702368729?hash=item4d3b0079d9:g:1~QAAOSw7hRWPjpy

Edited by dirtsounds

1 hour ago, dirtsounds said:

I have wondered this too, especially when it comes to sets priced in the stratosphere, from sellers with good feedback and other nornally priced items like this one.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEGO-Batman-Man-Bat-Attack-76011-Super-Heroes-Set-Sealed-Box-Free-Shipping-/331702368729?hash=item4d3b0079d9:g:1~QAAOSw7hRWPjpy

Hahahha.....that's great...I just looked up that model number and your right, the majority of that piece runs for around $21 to $30......Some one just said that when they go away for period of time, they do onto there listing and  just add a decimal point to there product and see what happens. I guess it's the same as swinging a bat in the dark against a Randy Johnson fastball!!. Great idea though!....

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

I've done this myself with a couple sets, one-offs I purchased based on forum hype. Put up a 75105 Falcon that I'd got at Costco for ~30% off. Selling it at MSRP would only break even, so I put a tag of $235 CAD (RRP here is $180) and let it ride on the Good Til Cancelled model. Then in early January the set went to OOS Expected Delivery X on Shop@Home, and within a day mine sold at my inflated price. If I hadn't bothered to list it a couple months earlier, I wouldn't have earned ~$40 that day. 

I try to competitively price the stuff I really want to move though, like all the used sets I'm flipping from bulk lots. Easy to organize boxed sets, my bulk horde is a bit of a mess though and needs culling, so I actively watch other listings, sold listings and price accordingly. 

Another thing completely aside, you can easily edit your prices on a listed item... so maybe you're going away for the week and won't be able to ship anything. Rather than put notes in your 200 listings, you can just add a decimal place to the price tag. Way quicker. Nobody buys your stuff while you're away, no hassling buyers. 

I was always wondering why I would see a Lego set that's worth $150 jacked up to $1,500.00......I guess next time I see that I ll just assume the guy took off to China for a month....lol.....Great idea though!!

On 2/14/2016 at 10:09 PM, Empirecinema2u.com said:

I also noticed  on Ebay they have customized sets, im not on Ebay right now so i can not remember the actual person who sells these. When i say sell these I mean he or she sells instruction manuals only. My question is, is you have a build that is one of a kind (authentic) is this worth more then something you can find that has a million of the same??

Depends on the quality of the build.  There are a few MOC builders out there that sell instructions to their building creations to pay for more MOC supplies/parts.  Brick Builders Pro and Brick City Depot are a couple I can think of off top of my head.  I love what they do but don't have the time right now to track down all the parts. Most of those big buildings will cost you hundreds to get all the parts for, but I would think they are worth it in the end by the looks of them.  I don't think you're going to make a bunch of money by purchasing the directions, building it, and then selling it.