Advice on Castle series lot

Sharkbait

I came across an ad on CL the other day for Castle and Viking sets. After looking through the pictures, I think I narrowed down everything to Castle sets (no Vikings). One thing I noticed was there weren't a lot of minifigures shown, and the 7029 Skeleton Ship Attack is only the ship, it is missing the dock structure.

When asked about the minifigs, his response was " if there are any missing then they are surely in one of the ziplock bags I have with many many pieces from years of Lego collecting and we can look. Otherwise these main items are sold as is." I asked about instructions, and he said his wife insists they have them in a folder somewhere in the house. She will look for them before I'm scheduled to meet on Friday. 

Looking on the pricing guide, the value of the used sets are as follows. He was asking $300 for the lot. 

7041  Troll Battle Wheel $51.13
7048  Troll Warship $86.13
7029  Skeleton Ship Attack $115.67
7036  Dwarves Mine $64.67
7094  King's Castle Siege $135.06
10193 Medieval Market Village $132.20
7093  Skeleton Tower $69.33
7092  Skeleton's Prison Carraige $31.41
7037  Tower Raid $34.20
7038  Troll Assault Wagon $26.40
7040  Dwarves' Mine Defender $20.67

Total $766.87

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It looks like the main structures of each set is there, but there might be some smaller accessories or minifigs missing. Are these sets worth picking up?

1.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

When it is incomplete, offer 250 at maximum, otherwise let it go.

The minifigs from the Fantasy Era are not cheap, this means, they make some value of the $766.87, I assume the missing figs make around $150... So the value is around $600... -10% till 20% selling fees = $500...

You're missing a ton of figures here, accessories as well.  I would definitely shake him down for any he has around if you're set on buying this as well as the instructions.  I'd be no deal for me if I couldn't get that stuff.  Like others have said, trolls are missing, animals are missing, figures are missing, though the ship in pic #2 has extra figures on it, it is missing its troll.  To keep, it's still a good deal, just know you have some money to spend if you're going to complete them.  That dock part of 7029 also has some rare plates that were on the VW Bug and are very pricey in dark blue.  Just an FYI.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys. This will be for personal collection, and maybe end up flipping some of the smaller sets (I would keep the market village, castle, and ships)

Yes some of the sets came with the larger trolls, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for those.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

You're missing a ton of figures here, accessories as well.  I would definitely shake him down for any he has around if you're set on buying this as well as the instructions.  I'd be no deal for me if I couldn't get that stuff.  Like others have said, trolls are missing, animals are missing, figures are missing, though the ship in pic #2 has extra figures on it, it is missing its troll.  To keep, it's still a good deal, just know you have some money to spend if you're going to complete them.  That dock part of 7029 also has some rare plates that were on the VW Bug and are very pricey in dark blue.  Just an FYI.

Thanks for the the info. Ya the figures are the big things, and I have bugged him about the instructions a few times. If he says that he can't find the instructions, I'm not even going to go look at the lot. My plan was to head there with multiple pictures of each set as a reference, and if I can't find the majority of the figures for the sets I'll just walk away.

Thanks for the info on those dock parts. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that blue when I'm rummaging through his spare bricks.

27 minutes ago, Alcarin said:

I would offer 300$ tops. And thats mainly cos of MMV parts :P

Ya MMV has been on my list to get for my personal collection for a while. Reading his message again, he said he was thinking he should list it on ebay and start the bidding at $300, but would give me a couple days to decide. Sounded like a tactic to make me run to him yelling I'll take it, and I'm not going to go over $300 for it.

There's definitely $300 worth of Lego there.  He'll get that asking price, it's just not a great lot if you're looking to flip it for money.  In a recent lot that I had, I sold both of those boats for over $100 each, and the castle obviously sells for over $100.  Problem is that you are going to have to sink some pretty good money in these to complete them as is.  If the guy can come up with instructions and most of the figures, $300 is not a bad price.  MMV has no animals that I can see, those cows will run you $15-20 alone, as well as the set having around 10 figures which I see none of.  Buildings appear to be there but there should also be a cart, stand, tree etc. 

Sorry about that, it was a craigslist find so I figured I would ask about it in the forum for discussing finds and questions related to craigslist. After hearing back from the guy, it is now more of a "deal or no deal" question, so I'll ask about it in the deal or no deal open discussion thread. Thanks.

Just as an update, thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up stopping by and picking up the lot for a little under $300 since the guy wouldn't move much. I spent about an hour going through everything he had, and found about 95% or more of the sets. All the remaining Medieval Market Village pieces including cows were in one bag, the entire missing structure for the Skeleton Ship Attack was there too. Missing one large troll that I know of. There were a bunch of other smaller sets from the Castle series in there like a mini catapult set, joust set, etc. 

Already cleaned half the sets, just need to clean the rest and figure out all the missing pieces. 

• Like 1

I'm somewhat amazed at how unorganized the guy was for having someone willing to shell out a few hundred dollars for his Lego collection.  I would want to make my sale as attractive as possible to potential sellers but maybe he was trying to skim off the top and sell additional stuff to other buyers.  Who knows what people think.  Good luck with your lot whatever you choose to do with it.  Hopefully those instructions don't set you back too much. 

Most lots on Craigslist I buy are even more unorganized. I have not had anyone trying to skim off the top? They just usually don't know or have time to make all sets perfect. If they did they would sell individually or in eBay to make more. 

I usually find stuff they did not even realize they should advertise. My last lot I found tons of old superhero minifigures that were not even mentioned along with a droid developer kit which I really wanted to try out.

Usually these lots I find are from some kid that grew up, people moving, or just making room for a new hobby. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm somewhat amazed at how unorganized the guy was for having someone willing to shell out a few hundred dollars for his Lego collection.  I would want to make my sale as attractive as possible to potential sellers but maybe he was trying to skim off the top and sell additional stuff to other buyers.  Who knows what people think.  Good luck with your lot whatever you choose to do with it.  Hopefully those instructions don't set you back too much. 

I was a little surprised at first, but after meeting him I just don't think he knew what he was looking for or anything about the sets (They were his son's after all) . He was pretty helpful when I was there, had a number of different bags and bins ready to look through, and even made a few trips up to his attic to make sure there was nothing else. He wasn't trying to skim. 

He said he was going to make another effort to look for the instructions, but I haven't heard anything. 

He did have a Lego Giant chess set on the table too, which was pretty cool to look. It is also where I found the missing rat from Medieval Market Village...

Already got about 4 sets off of Ebay for about $6-7 dollars each, so I'm not too upset about that. 

Edited by Bags751

1 minute ago, Huskers1236 said:

Ok, that makes sense if they are not his and his kids' sets.  The Fantasy Era sets are personally my favorite, right there with Kingdoms as 1a.

Exactly, Fantasy Era and Kingdoms are the best Castle themes ever - this is also the opinion of other LEGO fans - see Castle wanted list on Brickset or BrickLink.

1 minute ago, mauro23 said:

Exactly, Fantasy Era and Kingdoms are the best Castle themes ever - this is also the opinion of other LEGO fans - see Castle wanted list on Brickset or BrickLink.

I will say that Classic Castle still has a place in my heart since I grew up owning 8060 King's Castle and the like.  I like the structures of the Fantasy Era Castle line, the storyline I could care less about.  I think the castle is great, and the bad guy fortresses are cool as well.  Look at the pile of crap the newest iteration of Castle had.  That little bad guy build would be about 5th tier from the Fantasy Era line.  Kingdoms was great because the good guy stuff was truly realistic.  Joust is great, even the King's Carriage is a great set.  You still have a bad outpost for the bad guys.  I guess they don't have the money for nice things.

You mean that they hove not money to make great Castle sets today?

I disagree, they have, but they have another focus today. Also the last Pirates theme, only few new sets have been created, so it seems that for the old fashion themes only few sets get produced and the focus is now on the (really, really bad) futuristic things like Nexo Knights or for more nicer lines as Super Heroes...

10 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

You mean that they hove not money to make great Castle sets today?

I disagree, they have, but they have another focus today. Also the last Pirates theme, only few new sets have been created, so it seems that for the old fashion themes only few sets get produced and the focus is now on the (really, really bad) futuristic things like Nexo Knights or for more nicer lines as Super Heroes...

No, just jokingly saying the bad guys don't have as nice of stuff as the good guys due to not having the funds.  Good guys always get big castles and bad guys get a small outpost.  At least in prior Castle themes, the bad guys got some nice buildings.