Shipping larger more valuable sets and the problems they bring...

Hey Guys.  Can't find an existing topic on this but I think this is a good question (especially for me) and given the number of new investors coming in definitely something they need to think about.  Having paper profits from sets stashed in your cupboard does not necessarily mean your going to end up with real profits once you've sold out. I mean buying is the fun part and so should be selling.  R5, Tumbler, DS... great!  Your profits on paper look excellent, but how do you actually go about shipping these???

SC (sand crawler) I LOVE it as a set and think it will do great post retirement (plenty of reasons but that's for a diff thread).  Just using this one as an example but as a larger set a few things worry me about how to actually sell it so its actually stopped me from buying any so far whilst I sort out a plan.
Does the "how am I actually going to sell this when it does get retired" question factor into anyone else's buying equation or is it just me?

1) Shipping materials, postage costs and postage insurance (sorry i know there is a thread on this but wondering about larger sets specifically).  I for one know that if i'm buying an expensive set in the secondary market for at least 2X what you paid you better ship it to me in the same state shown in the photos.  I know we complain about pedantic buyers but sometimes they do have a point.
In the UK generally finding a box big enough to ship a SC is difficult - getting these items to a depot is also time consuming.  Shipping insurance on items > £100 then can get quite pricey.  But its one thing I wouldn't want to skimp on.  Couple of points here for new sellers btw:
a) never sell without at least knowing your shipping costs and b ) I'd advise getting shipping materials before listing. 
I'm thinking the way to get around this is offering collection only. But then it limits your market (if i see collection only items on eBay usually i just don't bother).  Anyone got any advice on selling larger sets?  Do you find that for the larger, more expensive items people are more willing to come and collect?

2) Has anyone had any experience where they've sent an item (lets say an SSD) and its gotten trashed in transit?  The buyer doesn't want to pay for a trashed box so sends it back/asks for a discount.  Does shipping insurance cover this?  How do you prove how much you've lost because the driver stood on your item whilst cleaning his windows.

Beginning to think that for the average collector who's supplementing their income with Lego investing is that focusing on sets that will likely cap out below 250 is the way to start. I mean its great if you get a DS and it goes 2X RRP after fees but unless you're prepared for getting it to your buyer I reckon a lot of people are in for a shock.

• Like 4

Excellent points. I have increased my presence on Amazon recently after a maybe 10 year absence and realised how much of my potential profit is chewed up by the paltry shipping allowance. On eBay, my usual haunt, I have more control over postage costs and can pick amongst the options available to me.

The Slave I is a good example, as are the Sea Cow and Tumbler. I have sold all three recently and like you I am looking at the bloody huge sets I'll have to sell with some trepidation. That Volvo L350F set... Ugh.

Couple of things I do.

If possible all my large sets go into individual boxes for storage. Whether it be the original shipping box or one I've obtained from somewhere else. I try to make this a rule, a.) its keeps your boxes in good condition and b.) its so much less hassle when it actually comes to sell/ship them. So far I've been lucky and haven't had to buy any. Supermarkets, and other retailers are usually more than willing to give there boxes to you. For the smaller sets I have a large amount of boxes broken down and readily available. At the moment I trying to find boxes that are suitable for the Shield Helicarriers I recently bought, they are big. But so is the DS, SOH, TB, and VFL etc and  I have those in a mix of original Lego shipping boxes and amazon boxes.

Shipping, I generally use MyHermes. Over 100 items shipped with them and never had a problem with damage, despite the horror stories. BUT, I always pack my items VERY well. This is key. If your gonna sell a £200 set why not spend £3 on shipping materials if you have to. You can pick up a very large roll of bubble wrap for a about £10, and you could prob do 7-10 large sets with that. I also save every air pack I get, great if you do a lot of online shopping in the uk, they seem to throw them at you.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Couple of things I do.

If possible all my large sets go into individual boxes for storage. Whether it be the original shipping box or one I've obtained from somewhere else. I try to make this a rule, a.) its keeps your boxes in good condition and b.) its so much less hassle when it actually comes to sell/ship them. So far I've been lucky and haven't had to buy any. Supermarkets, and other retailers are usually more than willing to give there boxes to you. For the smaller sets I have a large amount of boxes broken down and readily available. At the moment I trying to find boxes that are suitable for the Shield Helicarriers I recently bought, they are big. But so is the DS, SOH, TB, and VFL etc and  I have those in a mix of original Lego shipping boxes and amazon boxes.

Shipping, I generally use MyHermes. Over 100 items shipped with them and never had a problem with damage, despite the horror stories. BUT, I always pack my items VERY well. This is key. If your gonna sell a £200 set why not spend £3 on shipping materials if you have to. You can pick up a very large roll of bubble wrap for a about £10, and you could prob do 7-10 large sets with that. I also save every air pack I get, great if you do a lot of online shopping in the uk, they seem to throw them at you.

Completely agree with this. I've found myself getting into the habit of perusing shops, but then ordering online (from the same retailer) if there's no difference in cost as you've effectively got the packaging for free and by and large things don't go wrong - and if they do you can just send it back. Once I've done a check, I just put it back in the box ready for storing, but also add extra packing that often comes with the smaller boxes.

I ordered a parisian restaurant online from eBay not too long ago. Came from Germany. It was wrapped in a supermarket bag and packed into a too-big single walled flimsy box. No padding whatsoever. Suffice to say the outer box had holes in it on all four corners and the box was mashed in on one side. It went straight back, at the seller's expense. So like TheGallows says - if you're not sure it's packed well, spend a few quid making sure it is.

Edited by suns

Yep, like Gallows said you hear a lot of horror stores with myhermes, but just make sure you pack properly and you never really get an issue, and if you do you get the full value of the item back + postage ( unlike Royal mail who only pay the original purchase price, not the final selling price. ) Which in the last several years has only happened to me twice, compared with Royal Mail DMO where I've had dozens of INR claims etc over the years.

Where as packaging I've gotten to the point where I have just to many large sets, so I get mine custom made ( lots of online companies do this I use ASC direct mainly ) 100 at a time, and the price varies from around £1-2 per box depending on the measurements.

• Like 1

Oh, couriers... something else to add.

Having being at the depot trying to collect various work-related packages over christmas - I can say that they don't handle your packages with kid gloves. Now, that doesn't mean that they kick them around the factory, but every time your package gets moved from one vehicle to a depot, to another vehicle, to another depot and finally to the van that will deliver is a time when it's going to get damaged, possibly. ALL packages get dropped/rolled from one conveyor belt onto another. Not far, and let's be fair here, it's not in the interest of the courier company to intentionally damage anything, but if it's not in a decent box and padded well you're asking for trouble.

Delivery vans here tend to be not very full - more often than not, all the packages are lined up on the floor of the van with few stacked. However, the drivers do tend to let's say, energetically lob the packages from the front to the back of the vans when they're sorting them into an order.

I'm going to end on an optimistic note though. We're dealing with an item that's not inherently fragile. The contents won't break or crack and the worst that can happen is a bashed box. At least you're not selling framed pictures or crockery!

Edited by suns

The most vulnerable sets for shippig tend to be those that Lego packed in oversized boxes - TH, I am looking at you. It´s essential that the original lego box has as little space in it for the parts to move around in en masse and for the box to be squashed. The best solution I have found is to pack in a cut to measure box with thick walls (a good, sharp boxcutter helps). Bubble wrap is good for sets like 70010 or architecture which are prone to being scuffed if they rub against the outer box.

Local pickup is a great idea too but it depends where you live and are willing to take the item to.

A set like DS shouldn´t present problems due to the inner boxes giving it more sturdiness and all mine came in original Lego shipping boxes.

I have only ever shipped international once, used the global shipping program, package it well only needs to get to the shipping centre in the uk then GSP take responsibility.

The parcel I shipped to GSP ended up in Austrialia

25 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

I've been using myhermes for UK customers, but what does everyone use for shipping to Europe or other international buyers??

• Like 1

This is for everyone who does not know shipping at all. If you do already have a shipping routine, then please tell me if my setup is alright or how i could improve it. I am do the measurements in Inches because that is the standard for where I live.

Try to get some staple gift cards cheaply and collect them to get 50 to 100 if you are small.

For filling I personally use bubble wrap and air packets. Paper can be used but paper is heavy on shipping but paper is easier to store unless you have water problems and it is cheaper. You can normally get bubble wrap cheaply at certain times in bulk at certain stores, just stockpile the, don't just buy 1 at a time. 

For small scale I use Pratt 9x 6x 3x shipping boxes. all you have to do is have 1 or 2 layers of bubble wrap/paper and the item, make sure it does not move around. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E81L9U2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

For mid scale I use 17.63 x 12.25 x 3 boxes that are found inside staples stores. They are normally .69 over 5. If you have a box that is 10 x 12 x 2.5, just use a air packet of each side and bubble wrap the Lego box.

For Large boxes I use the 24 x 16x 10 in box at staples. They normally run on discounts of 1.35 for 5 in my area.  All you have to do is getting something sharp for the cardboard on the 10in part. If I get anything that does not fit into the large box, I order it online and flatten the box.

For funky boxes, try to preplan getting the box and save them. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on a scale that i can buy. I need to get a new one, i'm currently using a triple beam balance. 

We already have a thread that covers shipping sets of all shapes and sizes...

Most of what has been discussed here has also been discussed there, give it a read if you haven't. But a big PS... check you're postal service's requirements for insurance. I know in Canada, Canada Post has some very strict rules regarding insurance claims:

1) New Boxes Only - if you recycled a box, they can deny your claim.
2) Ample Spacing - they require a minimum amount of spacing around the entire item (4cm if I'm not mistaken)

Make sure you do your own research about policies.. don't take the word of friendly forum members who might not have taken the time to read up!

But a few helpful tips:

- If you do cut down boxes, don`t overlap the flaps on top. You`re creating a squish point in the middle.
- Further to that, never fill the gap on top of the box completely. Allow the sides of your box to carry the weight as they`re intended!
- For large or expensive sets, if your box is oversized, don`t put big air pillows in the corners. Use kraft paper around the corners with pillows on the sides
- Don`t be afraid to place an extra cardboard layer on the top where the flaps fold to avoid someone cutting your box with a knife (especially relevant when shipping international as there is always a chance customs opens the box to inspect).

• Like 1