If you won the $1.4B Powerball what would you do?

28 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I'd offer to buy George Lucas's company from him. :P Nah just kidding, I don't know if I could deal with him calling me a white slaver.

Just curious what some of the people's big dreams on this site were.

The guy at 7-11 was arguing with a customer the other day on whether she should take the lump sum or over 30 years.  He was saying that you'd only get about $200 Million after the lump sum payout.  I said, "so, only enough to finance one Star Wars movie?"  He just gave me a blank stare.

I'd buy a 10179?  lol

• Like 1

Near $1B after taxes etc? Oh, off of the top of my head:

• Hire security, at least until we can move. I'm sure whoever wins that is going to be famous and will probably have a target on them. 
  • Quit our jobs. 
  • Figure out how much our new lifestyle can/should/will cost and set aside money for retirement aka each year for the rest of our lives.
  • Pay off our remaining loans. 
  • Buy a couple of houses, each near friends/family; probably work with somebody to design one/both of them. 
  • Have kids. Dedicate lots of time towards learning about parenting.
  • Pay off my best friend's student loans.
  • Fund my sibling's college education.
  • Travel. Nepal, China, Greece, Istanbul, etc are still on my list and/or my wife's list. Perhaps buy a home in New Zealand lol That place is incredible.
  • More time for video games.
  • Build anything I can imagine/want using Lego.
  • Discover new hobbies that were previously unattainable.
  • Do things I've wanted to do but wouldn't consider or at least just haven't done because of money aka courtside basketball game... nah courtside Finals basketball game. I think I'd still prefer football in my new living room setup with giant TV.
  • Buy a plane. Learn to fly and/or hire a pilot.
  • Invest. Learn about investing and/or hire an adviser.
  • I could see my wife writing a book. She might also work at a library for fun.

I know first thing would be to claim the prize anonymously although I imagine such would not be possible for something that has grown this large. Peoples lives have been ruined for winning significantly less (even $50). Well anywho, any & all bills would be taken care of with a good percentage of the leftover funds set aside for future fees. I don't know what I would spend the money on really and the temptation of going crazy is understandable but I also know better seeing many situations where people kept on blowing through the cash as if there was no end to it then find themselves penniless drowning in miles of debt over frivolities like a gold-plated toilet or diamond encrusted teaspoon.

Honestly I wonder if anyone ever will win the Powerball and if they do will the person even dare to claim it.

Ha! My son and I have been playing this game for the past week or so.  We've been buying tickets, and I remind him that what we're really getting for our $2 is a dream. We can spend time thinking about what we'll buy, what we'll do, who we'll help... it's fun. It feels good.  Once the drawing happens, and we inevitably lose... the fun is over, so enjoy it while you can.  I let him make the list. After buying all the Lego we could want, several houses, cars, traveling, and giving $3 million to each member of my wife's and my immediate family (and a few favorite uncles and aunts), we still have about $700 million leftover.

Edited by Kenxxx

It always baffles me why people play more when it's this high.  I have a hard time coming up with stuff I like to have now and I don't have several million in my account.  

I'd give it all away.  It would be fun to take an earlier retirement and travel to homeless shelters and medical bennifits  and see first hand all the people you could help out with it.

A lot of it would go directly to researchers and Dr's to find cures for vector born illness and cancer.

Gov will just waste the tax money from it 

Edited by conceptmachine