10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Dang it, images have been taken down. My timing this week has been pretty suck. Well anywho, I'm not always a fan of remakes, particularly constant ones. The X-Wing is the staple of Star Wars alongside the Millenium Falcon and TIE Fighter, which brings up why haven't they done a UCS TIE Fighter yet? We have the TIE Interceptor and that is wicked cool, but what about the regular TIE? Just feels odd, that's all. And this does make me wonder what will they rebuild next?

Dang it, images have been taken down. My timing this week has been pretty suck.

Well anywho, I'm not always a fan of remakes, particularly constant ones. The X-Wing is the staple of Star Wars alongside the Millenium Falcon and TIE Fighter, which brings up why haven't they done a UCS TIE Fighter yet? We have the TIE Interceptor and that is wicked cool, but what about the regular TIE? Just feels odd, that's all.

And this does make me wonder what will they rebuild next?

Was this the image you were looking for? http://www.hothbricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs.jpg

Turned up on first page of Google search ;)

I literally can't imagine a future where this doesn't get remade, especially as the Falcon will likely get some love from whatever films/series/tv shows Disney puts out. It won't be exactly the same...but close. Mark it, dude!

I agree Veegs! As I said in the other thread, all they will have to do is slightly update it to look more like whatever the current MF will look like, and throw in a set of new minifigures that also match up with the movie, and voila there you go!

Lego knows that the current MF has a huge fanbase because of the value of it, redoing it for all the investors who missed out on the first verison, as well as a whole new audience of children who will be seeing the new SW film will build an even bigger consumer demand for a MF.

Was this the image you were looking for? http://www.hothbricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs.jpg

Turned up on first page of Google search ;)

Your link says the content was moved or something. No matter, your Google referance reminded me to do the obvious and I found a link on the Brothers Brick that has a box image AND designers video!

Here's a quick link.

....Now after comparing the two, this new one does have its good points. Can't see why it's $50 more though. This one has only 255 more parts than the first one. How can that make it cost $50 more?

....Now after comparing the two, this new one does have its good points. Can't see why it's $50 more though. This one has only 255 more parts than the first one. How can that make it cost $50 more?

The going rate for licensed peices goes for between eleven and thirteen cents a peice that comes out to $28.05 to $33.15. Then include inflation, high licensing fee,s and Lego wanting a higher profit.

The going rate for licensed peices goes for between eleven and thirteen cents a peice that comes out to $28.05 to $33.15. Then include inflation, high licensing fee,s and Lego wanting a higher profit.

The old one came out 13 years ago. Given inflation, it's basically a wash.

(Mod, sorry, I didn't see this original post, thanks for merging.) Wow, The UCS X-Wing is being re-made, is this the first time? I am not sure (lucky I only have one, and I built it). Do you think this will make values of the older UCS set plummet? I think it will have to make them fall somewhat. http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/15/ucs-x-wing-10240-red-five-x-wing-starfighter-officially-leaked/ Does this make people uncomfortable about their UCS Millenium Falcons?

I bought mine last month at a high price, so I'm really curious to see what will come next :)

Even if a UCS Millenium Falcon is re-released, it will not be as expensive or as iconic as the first one in my opinion.

Also, the remakes always have different features in the set so there will always be a line between the 1st-2nd-etc. versions.

I bought mine last month at a high price, so I'm really curious to see what will come next :)

Even if a UCS Millenium Falcon is re-released, it will not be as expensive or as iconic as the first one in my opinion.

Also, the remakes always have different features in the set so there will always be a line between the 1st-2nd-etc. versions.

Of course a new MF won't be as expensive, it will be more widely available (and speculated upon). But other than hardcore, rich collectors, who is going to shell out $2000+ for the original when I can buy basically the same thing for probably a quarter of the price?

Of course a new MF won't be as expensive, it will be more widely available (and speculated upon). But other than hardcore, rich collectors, who is going to shell out $2000+ for the original when I can buy basically the same thing for probably a quarter of the price?

Concur,

It will devalue the original UCS MF, same as the 10240 will devalue the 7191, even for hardcore collectors.

I have been in the market for a 1st edition UCS MF, but now, I won't bother paying $2K upwards, as I believe it will only be a matter of time before they remake it.

I think LEGO knows how iconic the UCS MF is so I think they won't make it "basically the same". IMO y'all are worrying about nothing because in don't think they will remake it. I asked veegs if he wanted to bet a small set that they wouldn't remake it but I guess he isn't a betting man........any takers??

I am not willing to bet on it, as it could take years before it eventuates, however,

I think the fact that it is so Iconic makes it even more likely a re-release will occur, now that a precedent has been set by re-releasing an UCS...

As someone stated before, so much for being 'Ultimate' and 'Collectable'...

The 50th Anniversary UCS Millennium Falcon First Edition is the pinnacle of all collectible LEGO sets. There cannot be another made. How about a 60th Anniversary? Not quite. Maybe 75 or 100 years. Point is, the 10179 is more than just a large set. It is an 50th Anniversary set, just like the Town Plan. So whether or not another watered down version is made, it will not be as good as the original and not as valuable and wanted. As for the new UCS X-Wing, I'm disappointed in the set. While I do have a MISB 7191, that is not what bothers me. What bothers me is the overall lack of creativity...almost a laziness...in this design. They could have easily made this set an "iconic" set. Maybe a 3000 or more piece set that was a good deal larger and more detailed than the first version. There is NO BIGGER FAN of STAR WARS UCS sets than me and I really like each one, but this could have been a great set, just not a simple remake. I can list 30 different UCS sets they could have done, but this is another money maker for LEGO and that is the bottom line.

• Like 1

I should have posed the question differently,

Is re-making UCS's a good thing or a bad thing for investing (or other?)

I took the liberty of rewording your original poll question so that hopefully now there will not be any kind of confusion whatsoever.

Everyone who didn't get in on the original at the ground level wants a remake lol

Pretty much. I'm hearing the repeated tone of "why would I pay a few thousand for the older one when I can get this new one for just a couple hundred?" These remakes mostly narrows the field of potential buyers right down to the absolute serious collectors.

As a buyer, I certainly learn towards the newer and less expensive version.

As a collector, I would like to get the original one but I so do not have anywhere near that kind of money to burn.

One day perhaps....

Anyway, instead of quoting what Ed just said, I will just say that I agree wholeheartedly.

The 50th anniversary Millenium Falcon will always be collectable just cause of the 50. It's a time stamp.

As for the new X-Wing, I think it looks more like a playset than a "Ultimate Collector Series" set. While I do like it, there just does not seem to be much of an 'adult' feel about it like the original did. In fact, this new one looks like a slightly more detailed version of the smaller 'normal' X-Wing we just got last year.