Angry Birds 2016

Alpinemaps

LEGO Angry Birds Will Take Flight

LAS VEGAS, Nevada– 8th June 2015– Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, the most downloaded mobile game ever, today announced a partnership with The LEGO Group to develop a line of construction toys. LEGO® Angry Birds will be available in spring 2016 to coincide with the release of The Angry Birds Movie, a full-length feature film based on the popular gaming franchise.

“The LEGO brand has an unparalleled ability to connect with people through products that spark creativity and imagination. We’re really excited to build experiences together with this amazing best-in-class partner,” said Pekka Rantala, Chief Executive Officer of Rovio.

“We are excited to bring Angry Birds to life in LEGO form, given the popularity of the game and its characters with fans of all ages, which will only be amplified by the forthcoming film,” said Jill Wilfert, Vice President, licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We seek partnership with globally relevant properties that offer a unique and rewarding play experience to our fans, and our designers are having fun developing building sets that leverage the engaging play and deconstruction found in the Angry Birds game.”

Further details about the collection, available in spring of 2016, are not yet available.

PRESS CONTACT
Kaisu Karvala
VP, Communications
Rovio Entertainment
+358 40 5715 990
[email protected]

About Rovio Entertainment Ltd
Rovio Entertainment Ltd, the creator of Angry Birds™ is a global industry-changing entertainment media company headquartered in Finland that creatively combines digital with physical, breaking the boundaries of traditional content delivery. What started as a casual game in 2009 became an international phenomenon within a few months of its release. Today Angry Birds is not only the most downloaded game of all time, it is a worldwide known entertainment brand reaching out into publishing, licensing, animations, books and location based entertainment. The Angry Birds movie is slated for release in May 2016. www.rovio.com

About The LEGO Group
The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company with headquarters in Billund, Denmark, and main offices in Enfield, USA, London, England, Shanghai, China and Singapore. Founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, and based on the iconic LEGO brick, it is one of the world's leading manufacturers of play materials for children. Guided by the company spirit: "Only the best is good enough”, the company is committed to the development of children and aims to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through creative play and learning. LEGO products are sold worldwide and can be virtually explored at www.LEGO.com  

LEGO, its logo, the brick & knob configuration and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2015 The LEGO Group.

• Like 1

Okay, my personal opinion. The problem is that the AB franchise is pretty much having its least breaths. 3 years ago this would have been a hit. However Rovio revenues are plummeting and it has about zero media presence right now. AB is just so last year.  If the movie can gather interest AND is good, then these might do well. Otherwise Lone Ranger. 

• Like 2

Okay, my personal opinion. The problem is that the AB franchise is pretty much having its least breaths. 3 years ago this would have been a hit. However Rovio revenues are plummeting and it has about zero media presence right now. AB is just so last year.  If the movie can gather interest AND is good, then these might do well. Otherwise Lone Ranger. 

​This was my thought until everyone came into this thread and said how much they and their kids enjoy Angry Birds. I still think the cow has been milked to death though.

I don't see how it will be worth investing in the Lego either if it's just a bunch of little bird and pig figs, a slingshot and some flimsy structures.

​This was my thought until everyone came into this thread and said how much they and their kids enjoy Angry Birds. I still think the cow has been milked to death though.

I don't see how it will be worth investing in the Lego either if it's just a bunch of little bird and pig figs, a slingshot and some flimsy structures.

Yeah, I agree. I mean who would ever want sets with little stupid blocky micro figures or cute little animals like horses, dolphins and puppies. For that matter, why have any sort of minifigures at all. LEGO sets are not for kids. This we know. This theme, especially the STAR WARS Angry Birds, is a waste of time. ;-)

​There's an Angry Birds Train? ;)

Yeah, I agree. I mean who would ever want sets with little stupid blocky micro figures or cute little animals like horses, dolphins and puppies. For that matter, why have any sort of minifigures at all. LEGO sets are not for kids. This we know. This theme, especially the STAR WARS Angry Birds, is a waste of time. ;-)

​Yes those Star Wars Angry Birds which were mentioned precisely zero times in the press release.

​Yes those Star Wars Angry Birds which were mentioned precisely zero times in the press release.

True, but considering both LEGO and Rovio have a licensing agreement with STAR WARS, I would think there is a good chance of us seeing some sort of STAR WARS characters. Regardless, I have confidence that LEGO will produce sets better than the Kinex versions.

I think it will strongly depend on how the sets turn out.

I'm not at all a fan of angry birds... (sorry to say so but the whole idea of angry birds seems to be rather stupid).

A well built LEGO Set might be quite intriguing though.

Setwise it might to well either way, but investmentwise it would have to be something awesome to be good in the long run.

will be curious to see, but do not expect much investment potential from the lego sets.  The movie does have some serious names behind it.  I would expect something along the lines of madagascar.  sets may have some qf potential, but i am not sure the ip has much staying power at this point.

The Angry Birds merchandise (toys and trinkets, not the games) are items I have consistently seen these past few years in the clearance aisle and dollar bin at Wal-Mart. The games are still relevantly popular it seems despite being the same formula with little to actually change or mix up the gameplay but I have to question how well anything made outside of the game (whether LEGO or not) will do. One thing I find troubling is how LEGO will go about incorporating the gameplay mechanics of Angry Birds into LEGO....and then I start remembering the video of crashing the Super Star Destroyer into the Death Star. So many pieces broken in the future, I see.

Honestly, I'm not expecting much...sort of like the minecraft sets being "cool" because it's a hot toy...but really the sets themselves aren't anything special...

​Had I not played the game so thoroughly before buying to build the sets of Minecraft, I may have said the same thing but they are pretty nifty actually even the landscape of The End in The Ender Dragon build. I guess just like the game, they are simply fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't underestimate Angry Birds.  I like them.  

I am betting the movie will be entertaining. and the toys to be fun as well.  but imdb has the movie released in May, thus the toys will probably be early 2016.  Thus by the holiday season the hype will be gone, and the sets will have to stand on their own.  If its all really well done and we get a sequel there obviously could be some long term potential, but its going to be very hit or miss from an investor standpoint.

So let's see, it is a LEGO theme based on a movie based on a phone game. POP anyone? 

Also from the looks of it, it's not LEGO-fied enough. Just like Simpsons and Toy story, they could have been so much better if the minifigures were more like minifigures and less "realistic".   

I like it, and I think it looks pretty good for start.

Just because a theme is not popular among resellers, doesn't mean it won't sell to the kids.

I agree.   I think this is going to sell well with kids.  At least, my 7 and 3 year old kids will probably really like it.