The Hobbit "Goblin King Battle" (79010) for $75.54 (24% off, save $24.45)

Legodog

Man, that is a heck of a deal. I can't quite pull the trigger because that set is so new and widely available. Good deal or not, it would be collecting dust for a while. Thanks for the heads up though! :)

I agree. It is a good deal but I'm not pulling the trigger on it yet either. Otherwise like you said it is just going to be sitting there collecting dust for a couple years.

There is a decent chance that you would be able to sell it this upcoming holiday season. With the second Hobbit movie, a possible sell out at S&**** and big box stores, the price may rise (at least enough to make a reasonable profit). I saw this happen with quite a few sets this past season that were widely available both before and after Christmas, but jumped in value when they were no longer available at traditional outlets. I've also seen the minifigs from this set fetching a fair profit on the 'bay, so you could always parcel it out. I think the Goblin King could get you $15-20. That and I think the dwarves in this set are only available in this set - I was perusing auctions for these minifigs a couple hours ago and recall them doing nicely.

There is a decent chance that you would be able to sell it this upcoming holiday season. With the second Hobbit movie, a possible sell out at S&**** and big box stores, the price may rise (at least enough to make a reasonable profit). I saw this happen with quite a few sets this past season that were widely available both before and after Christmas, but jumped in value when they were no longer available at traditional outlets.

I've also seen the minifigs from this set fetching a fair profit on the 'bay, so you could always parcel it out. I think the Goblin King could get you $15-20. That and I think the dwarves in this set are only available in this set - I was perusing auctions for these minifigs a couple hours ago and recall them doing nicely.

Excellent point! I wasn't thinking far enough ahead to the holidays. It could be a nice flip in 9 months.

I know I am the one who posted this but I wanted to let everyone know you can probably get this set for cheaper on eBay if you are in no hurry to get one. I got one for $60 free shipping just last week.

That is a nice score - how can someone sell it that cheaply, especially after ebay fees & paypal fees?

I wouldn't base a decision on this set solely on what the current Brickpicker value is. It will go up over time. It is brand new right now, so value isn't going to be high. Whether or not someone should buy this set depends entirely on the individual. If you have lots of money to spend, and storage space isnt a concern, then I would say snap them up at 26% off. If you need to stretch your money and space is limited, buy some other good deal that is closer to retirement. If I had to make a blanket statement that covered everybody though, I would say but it if you want to own it. The current price is a very attractive one.

And it goes lower. Now 28% off @ $72.04. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Hobbit-Goblin-King-Battle/dp/B009TCYK2E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2JVXWG00KZ5VM&coliid=I2S57R82WGE55M I know that is a great price but I still can't jump on this. I think maybe it is because the set is so overpriced to begin with?

• 4 weeks later...

This set is absurdly overpriced at $100, it should have been put at $90 tops, I wouldn't even call $80 a good deal for it. I picked up a few at $71 and I wonder sometimes if it was smart.

I agree, I feel this set should've had a lower retail price. I feel the same way about Jabba's Palace. Then again who am I, Lego clearly knows what they're doing......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad you like it, I hope more people start to as well, it doesn't seem to get much love right now. $75 certainly isn't a bad deal for this set per se but it isn't anything amazing either. Personally, I think this set should have been priced at $90, and that is being generous, $100 is insane. With that said, $75 is still an ok deal but there are a lot of retailers that have had a hard time moving this set and have put some decent discounts on. This one has been $67.99 twice now and $62.99 once that I have seen on amazon.