LEGO Death Star 10188 Finally Retires But Here Comes a New One (75159)

Jeff Mack

6 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Absolutely. Agree 100%. Now it's looking like a great investment again for sure...

Although, with Rogue One on the way, I would suspect, there will be another Death Star in the future sometime.  No way, will this be the only Death Star made.  Star Killer Base from what I understand is nothing like the Death Star in the OT.

On 12/14/2015 at 8:05 AM, MindCrime2411 said:

From a very reliable source, it will be StarKiller and around 4000 pcs.

I'm calling BS. No way Disney and Lego will make their flagship set the Starkiller this early on. These are two rather conservative companies that enjoy making money.

17 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Although, with Rogue One on the way, I would suspect, there will be another Death Star in the future sometime.  No way, will this be the only Death Star made.  Star Killer Base from what I understand is nothing like the Death Star in the OT.

I agree there will be another. I just think it'll be much smaller or much different at the very least. There was a point where I was having second thoughts on 10188 being a good investment but lately I've been having very good feelings about it. But you know what they say opinions are like..

Edited by dcdfan

9 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I agree there will be another. I just think it'll be much smaller or much different at the very least. There was a point where I was having second thoughts on 10188 being a good investment but lately I've been having very good feelings about it. But you know what they say opinions are like..

Yeah, i've changed my tune on this too.  In july, I just had a gut feeling that the end of that set wasn't at that time, and things didn't feel right.  I remember reading the "rumor" saying it would be retired by the end of this year, and a newer "bigger badder" version would be out next year. 

However, one thing that I found a bit odd is that there is no signs of a ewok village style set for EP7.  That makes no sense, so one would suspect something would be out soon.

So... i'm wondering if maybe the "hoth rebel base" set that is rumored is actually Starkiller Base.  Even Ed Mack commented about this earlier before that it seemed silly to release a Hoth Base, and that would make some sense. And maybe the Death Star is for Rogue One. 

Or maybe we see a Star Killer Base (which is embedded in a planet), and a Hoth Rebel Base.... ohh now it's confusing.   Regardless,  I do think the OT Death Star is not being remodified, and will be safe as an investment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, legone3 said:

No offense, but from a member who has 1 post?

None taken. Just because one doesn't post often (or ever) doesn't take away from said post, in my opinion. Maybe I'm trying to justify the amount of 10188s I've amassed as I have definitely not felt good about them for awhile now. But I would not be caught without one now. Just my opinion. I've posted a couple thousand times but I don't feel my post has any more importance than anyone else...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

At some point you have to wonder when the new UCS sets will be based on the new movies.  Maybe the new Snowspeeder is a version from the new movie.  Maybe Hoth Echo base is the Starkiller base.  Maybe the new Death Star isn't even round.  LOL

Stop teasing and give us some insider info, Ed, please.

Edited by allen9917

6 hours ago, dcdfan said:

None taken. Just because one doesn't post often (or ever) doesn't take away from said post, in my opinion. Maybe I'm trying to justify the amount of 10188s I've amassed as I have definitely not felt good about them for awhile now. But I would not be caught without one now. Just my opinion. I've posted a couple thousand times but I don't feel my post has any more importance than anyone else...

That was not my point. I'm relatively new and have few posts myself.

But when someone's first and only post is about a rumor about something important like this, it's normal for people to question.

Remember Davem111 and his "leak" about Palace Cinema?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, legone3 said:

No offense, but from a member who has 1 post?

They did say that it was from a very reliable source and "very" was underlined so I'm not sure what you would find incredible about that statement.

Seriously though, I would find that speculation much more credible than what everyone seems to assume is going to happen (i.e., TLG will retire 10188 after 7-8 years on the market and then reintroduce the exact same set with a few tweaks next year).

• Like 1

On December 12, 2015 at 11:20 PM, zak001 said:

The trench run is sweet. It's like a valley of greebling.

Believe it or not......my last name is ......Griebling.....pronounced the same way.  When I read the post a few months ago about "greebling" I almost shat my pants.  Told my wife our Lego collecting was a sign from above.  Too funny.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:09 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Interesting idea.  Here's what they deployed at Legoland California earlier this year, that's similar to what you describe:

There are also micro scenes like this:

There is also a trench run diorama:

I WANT IT!  Completely AWESOME!

I am excited to hear its finally retiring! I bought one a couple months ago and at one point wondered if I should return it. I saw a couple weeks ago when it had the "Retiring Soon" label on it but then it disappeared. Is that becuase it is retired now? I am a new investor so I don't know a whole lot. I just picked up on it this year ;) (my two biggies being the death Star and the Red X-Wing UCS).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2015 at 8:41 PM, pete411 said:

I'm calling BS. No way Disney and Lego will make their flagship set the Starkiller this early on. These are two rather conservative companies that enjoy making money.

After watching the movie, for me it's logical to release the star killer as a UCS this summer/autumn, because

Spoiler

it explodes at this end of the movie and will obviously not appear ever again in the sequels

This new UCS can have a 2 years life, everything seems logical to me, it's a good timing to release such a UCS:

- after SW VII (no spoiler)

- about the same time of the DVD/BR of the movie (good timing, hype)

- and (if Lego give it a classical 2 years life) retiring about few months after the SW VIII frenzy (because interest will have lowered for this set and movie, and people will look after SW VIII).

Edited by biniou