70814 - Emmet's Construct-o-Mech

Kenxxx

708 pcs. 4 minifigs (Emmet, Angry Uni-Kitty, and 2 Skeletrons). RRP US$59.99, CA $74.99, EUR 59.99

I'd been hoping to buy this one below US$40.  Now on sale at TRU.com at $55.99.  There were a couple aging in the clearance aisle at my Walmart at $45... then there was one... and now, with Amz prices at $69.99, I decided I'd better get it.  I bought it as a special treat, I gave it to my son last night.  We love it.  Very fun set, fun to build, fun to play with.  Has lot's of interesting, large, chunky parts... pieces "you don't see every day".  Once these run out at the retailers, I think this could be a winner.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I once grabbed two for 50$ after tax at a TRU and I will try to hold on to them until the Lego Movie sequel comes out in spring 2018.

Listings on ebay are currently around 90 € but very few have been sold in the last few months from what I can see. The angry kitty figure is what makes this set worth holding imo.

18 minutes ago, Calli said:

I once grabbed two for 50$ after tax at a TRU and I will try to hold on to them until the Lego Movie sequel comes out in spring 2018.

Listings on ebay are currently around 90 € but very few have been sold in the last few months from what I can see. The angry kitty figure is what makes this set worth holding imo.

Movie sequel has been pushed back to February 2019

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
58 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Or if you have one in Gem Mint 9.5 condition (sigh, why are we grading brand new retail items?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Emmets-Construct-o-Mech-70814-AFA-9-5-/172435491470?hash=item2825f4ca8e:g:NuMAAOSwNuxXcFra

Can't blame 'em. I mean, Box Divas gonna Box Diva. Should just link to these listings when I get asked to "Provide the perfect mint box without any sort of blemish or nick and pack it in a 10'x10'x10' wooden crate surrounded by layers of air pillows, kraft paper, and two layers of bubble wrap around the box itself."

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Can't blame 'em. I mean, Box Divas gonna Box Diva. Should just link to these listings when I get asked to "Provide the perfect mint box without any sort of blemish or nick and pack it in a 10'x10'x10' wooden crate surrounded by layers of air pillows, kraft paper, and two layers of bubble wrap around the box itself."

YES! THIS!

Oh, you don't like the tiny knick or insignificant edge wear on a retail cost 29.99 set that i sold to you for $39.99 shipped across the country in bubble wrap and a sturdy box? Here you go, AFA graded and only $175

8 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

Or if you have one in Gem Mint 9.5 condition (sigh, why are we grading brand new retail items?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Emmets-Construct-o-Mech-70814-AFA-9-5-/172435491470?hash=item2825f4ca8e:g:NuMAAOSwNuxXcFra

6 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

Oh, you don't like the tiny knick or insignificant edge wear on a retail cost 29.99 set that i sold to you for $39.99 shipped across the country in bubble wrap and a sturdy box? Here you go, AFA graded and only $175

I can understand anyone who had the misfortune of purchasing something online from a retailer and the person that packed the item decided all they needed was a shipping label slapped on or "hey, that brown paper should be tough enough right?" ....but this AFA grading goes straight over to the side of lunacy. There was a time when it was meant as a means to time capsule toys of the childhood and other such bits of nostalgia; not used for whiny little sissies fussy about finding tiny blemishes or heaven forbid fingerprints on the bloody box. I must admit though the seller must be doing something right if he can find these 'customers'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, TheOrcKing said:

I can understand anyone who had the misfortune of purchasing something online from a retailer and the person that packed the item decided all they needed was a shipping label slapped on or "hey, that brown paper should be tough enough right?" ....but this AFA grading goes straight over to the side of lunacy. There was a time when it was meant as a means to time capsule toys of the childhood and other such bits of nostalgia; not used for whiny little sissies fussy about finding tiny blemishes or heaven forbid fingerprints on the bloody box. I must admit though the seller must be doing something right if he can find these 'customers'.

I never disparage another person's hobby and name calling because of a collectors' preferences that don't align with your own is just plain ignorant and reflects poorly back on you.

You may not understand hard core collecting where owning an item is not simply enough. It is the hunt to find/own the best possible CONDITION as well. The AFA encapsulation and assigned graded is not 100% fool proof but it is the best way for a prospective buyer to know that they will be getting an item in the best superior condition that they may not able to normally acquire in the wild. Make no mistake that high end collectors of toys are just as picky and demanding of condition as collectors of comics, sports cards, books, stamps, etc would be. Graded items, (rightly or wrongly) almost always command multiples of the base items price because the condition is more assured and stands the best chance of maintaining that condition in future years.

I feel that for many of these "valued customers" there is more excitement in the unpacking and unboxing than the building and enjoyment of the final product. Similar to popping a chastity belt, maybe.

Still, each to their own, we should be glad to have any genuine customers these days.

I understand wanting to receive something in the best possible condition regardless of intent to keep safe or open for enjoyment. I simply find it unusual for anyone willing to pay so dearly for a custom-made container perfectly preserving the item therein when all they were going to do is open the thing up anyway seemingly defeating the purpose of the AFA grading service to begin with. Almost like paying many times over the market value for a new car just to partake in an off-road race or demolition derby.

Still I apologize for the name calling though, and I suppose since so many people do keep the box (of the set itself) then the special graded case will keep it safe and double as storage should they take the build apart later on.