Attacks on Paris (again)

Locutus001

I know that the forum is more about having fun than about serious stuff (other than business) but I wanted to bring this to everybodys attention:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203

For most here this might be far far away but for me it's my neighbourcountry. I've been to Paris several times (the city not people with stupid names) and thinking of how out of nowhere these attacks have been it's just shocking and frightening. There is not better reason than luck that I haven't been there.

I'm sure after 9/11 U.S.Americans are (over)sensitive to that matter as well and having had the Boston attacks (and others) that's a topic that might be of interest to everyone.

In Germany we didn't have that many attacks till now and I'm really hoping that it stays that way. On the other hand the fear is growing. I'm probably moving to Berlin soon and being the capital of Germany that's a likely target.

Other than the many unnecessary deaths we have to mourn right now these actions will also affect how people see refugees and other people of foreign origin, especially muslims, thus increasing the xenophobia. I hate how helpless and powerless we are in this situation. And I am sure I'm not the only one here who is struggling with emotions when it comes to that topic. I'm sad for the loss of so many lives. I'm sad for so much hatred and misunderstanding. Hope we'll find some solution someday and that the people in power will actually do something other than building higher boarders.

• Like 1

"I know that the forum is more about having fun than about serious stuff (other than business) but I wanted to bring this to everybodys attention:"

Folks, my heart is with people of Paris and those impacted. However, there are other web sites out there more suited for this subject.  Additionally, this is front page news everywhere already.  Does it really need to be discussed here? (I'm not asking for a reply)

So the mods will allow this topic for now but unlike 99% of the existing forums!, this will be "closely" moderated.  If it gets out of hand, the entire thread will prob get deleted.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Folks, my heart is with people of Paris and those impacted. However, there are other web sites out there more suited for this subject. 

So the mods will allow this topic for now but unlike 99% of the existing forums!, this will be "closely" moderated.  If it gets out of hand, the entire thread will prob get deleted.  

That's only fair. It's not meant to be a topic of political discussions but as topic for condolence and sympathy.

What happend is sad enough already without us fighting over opinions.

My prayers to all affected by such senseless violence.  This site is the closest I have to friends in the European continent.   I always look at the flags of those who have posted before and I after and a site like this makes the world a smaller place.  Tragedies like this bring us closer together as a community as we realize and are continually reminded that there are people who want to jeopardize our freedoms as human beings, citizens, families and friends. 

Well, I'm not going to stop enjoying my personal freedoms of travel, free speech, religious freedom, working, gathering in public spaces, raising a family, and having an opinion different than someone else's.    And I embrace the facts that others have different opinions and are entitled to them as well.  My beliefs are one of  tolerance and acceptance.  I am in an interracial marriage.  I have cousins who are in committed same sex relationships, My family includes native Americans, African Americans, Caucasian Americans, and who knows what else makes up the pedigree of mutts that we are.  I have had lunch with folks from South Africa and Canada in the last two weeks. 

I embrace the differences that makes the population of the world from Russia to Argentina but I really wish I could understand what makes those that commit these acts justified in a way that makes any sense to the rest of the world and to the families of those who died in another senseless act of terrorism and brutality. 

Until then, my prayers are with all of Paris and Europe on this sad day and to everyone who has ever been impacted by a senseless act of terrorism. 

• Like 3

I was shocked when I heard the news a few hours ago. Unlike the Charlie Hebdo attack which was directly aimed at people who (in the eyes of some very narrow minded individuals) had insulted their prophet, this is a mindless attack aimed at innocent people just living their regular lives. An attack with a single goal: to strike fear in the hearts of the regular people. IS gets cornered and this is how they strike back. By senseless acts of terrorism.

My heart is with the French people and foreign tourists hurt by this terrorist strike. And my condolences go out to all who have lost loved ones.

Edited by Haay

I'll share my story.  My brother-in-law (sister's husband) is French and from Paris.  His brother still lives there.  I asked my sister last night if they had heard anything, and if the brother was okay.

This morning she let me know that he had been inside all day yesterday, and didn't have the TV on.  He had no idea anything was happening until this morning.  So, good to know he was safe and sound, but just interesting how sometimes, you just don't even know what's going on.

Thanks for the sympathy.

After the attack on Charlie Hebdo, people were first sad and then angry.

For now, they are sad, but also really feared (129 death and 350+ wounded people, 6 differents places attacked at the same time, hostages executed... this is no small stuff).

As you can imagine, lots of events (garage sales, sports competions...) have been canceled.

I'm not sure what will happen on Xmas and New year. I guess people will stay at home. I only hope the adult's mood will not affect the child's innocence. They will know soon enough how cruel some people can be.

aside note: here it's 05:30 AM and as you can imagine, I still can't sleep.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, biniou said:

Thanks for the sympathy.

For now, they are sad, but also really feared (129 death and 350+ wounded people, 6 differents places attacked at the same time, hostages executed... this is no small stuff).

As you can imagine, lots of events (garage sales, sports competions...) have been canceled.

I'm not sure what will happen on Xmas and New year. I guess people will stay at home. I only hope the adult's mood will not affect the child's innocence. They will know soon enough how cruel some people can be.

French are very strong people. Not even the Germans got them on their knees. They will recover from this incident. My thoughts are with the victims of this brutal savage act. It is also sad that it puts a bad daylight on religion once more.

On 11/14/2015, 10:27:14, biniou said:

Thanks for the sympathy.

On 11/14/2015, 9:14:13, Haay said:

I was shocked when I heard the news a few hours ago. Unlike the Charlie Hebdo attack which was directly aimed at people who (in the eyes of some very narrow minded individuals) had insulted their prophet, this is a mindless attack aimed at innocent people just living their regular lives. An attack with a single goal: to strike fear in the hearts of the regular people. IS gets cornered and this is how they strike back. By senseless acts of terrorism.

My heart is with the French people and foreign tourists hurt by this terrorist strike. And my condolences go out to all who have lost loved ones.

Hoping one of you, or perhaps another French forum member might help...

This morning I was thinking along the same lines as biniou -- how will this impact the upcoming holidays for the affected families. I'd really like to donate some LEGO sets to a local group in Paris but am having trouble tracking one down. Mostly because I'm monolingual.

Biniou or Haay -- would either of you (or perhaps another BP member in France) be willing to help receive a box of Lego sets and make sure they get to an organization in Paris that will distribute them to families?

On 11/14/2015, 10:27:14, biniou said:

Thanks for the sympathy.

3 hours ago, kenmoorhead said:

Hoping one of you, or perhaps another French forum member might help...

This morning I was thinking along the same lines as biniou -- how will this impact the upcoming holidays for the affected families. I'd really like to donate some LEGO sets to a local group in Paris but am having trouble tracking one down. Mostly because I'm monolingual.

Biniou or Haay -- would either of you (or perhaps another BP member in France) be willing to help receive a box of Lego sets and make sure they get to an organization in Paris that will distribute them to families?

I'm in and from The Netherlands, not from France. 

I hope @biniou could help you with this.