Building the "Thinking With Portals!" Ideas Set

Sandwraith

Hey Folks!

So as you all know Dimensions came out with the Portal 2 level pack. I have long been a huge Portal fan and love the games. The writing/humour/gameplay is beyond anything else I've played. There was an Ideas project that ended up not making it into a final product: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/18258 which i was really rooting for. So when the Dimensions set came out i decided i would try to replicate this design so i could properly display the awesome Chell minifig. I also intend to make a GlaDOS that will hang in the top of a detolf (tops of detolfs have a hole) without all the support brackets used in the Ideas design.

Below is the progress I've made so far and i will continue to update as i make more progress and when it's all finished and displayed. I am awaiting parts to round it out a bit plus the parts for GlaDOS, and have taken a few creative liberties from the original Ideas set. There are no instructions for this available (that i saw) so it's all done by eye and tedious part counting. I have not made it modular like the original Ideas design intended, and the back side is abnormally ugly right now that i may eventually cover up with plates.

Problems I've encountered (aside from the old: "Dammit, i swore i ordered enough of these pieces!"):

- The sentry turret from the Dimensions set is way too big, i'll need to make a few micro ones which i have yet to get parts for.

- Getting customs stickers to fit on LEGO bricks is hard (i went with stickers instead of brickbuilding the chamber sign).

- Couldn't find a "swamp" like colour to simulate the gross water found in test chambers.

- Not sure how to come at making the portals themselves, i may just not include them.

- GlaDOS is a very odd design, I've gone with a different one than the Ideas design and the parts are on the way.

- Not sure how to connect the floor pieces with the 2 walls, however i may not even need to for display purposes.

IMG_5199.thumb.JPG.69c8415a3caf86c9b9e17

IMG_5200.thumb.JPG.a868f6746a796a55647df

IMG_5203.thumb.JPG.3dda9af290372be559622

IMG_5204.thumb.JPG.61b3b781c3671c55e1827

IMG_5208.thumb.JPG.d128dd7489aa2ea00ad68

A bit of the modular nature of the set. However nowhere near as modular as the designer's model.

IMG_5205.thumb.JPG.e5fbec3ba1f1a3250d3ce

The back needs some serious work haha, plates of all sizes and colours! but they were just from my personal stash until i figured out what i needed.

IMG_5206.thumb.JPG.71c03b705a26abe1262ba

And finally this is the top of the walls that i am waiting for tiles pieces to arrive to cover up the Technic bits, and a few more of the Technic squares to replace some basic bricks on the right side to make it more flush.

Updates will come as i get more pieces in the mail :)

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

Received most of the parts for GlaDOS. Now i just need a mounting system for the top hole in the Detolf cabinet and the round cover to hide said system. Otherwise i'm just waiting for parts to finish her off, and build a couple micro Turrets. Overall pretty happy with how it turned out. Is it game accurate? not totally, but its resemblance in undeniable. And i had a ton of the Bionicle pieces needed so i chose this design. 

Once everything complete i'll get it all together in one scene displayed :)

Credit to the GlaDOS build goes to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPCCsYUgj2I aside from some minor (maybe major) structural integrity fixes.

IMG_5237.thumb.JPG.9502e14f479b238d7a376

IMG_5239.thumb.JPG.f9e0d3ae80a122aca5c1a

IMG_5238.thumb.JPG.68535da2dd4f9596e5de8

• Like 2

All done!

I might add some more surface area to it eventually as it looks a tad small in the detolf, but overall very happy with it.

IMG_5278.thumb.JPG.acd0c78104ff2660d58a5

IMG_5279.thumb.JPG.9824effb32d52fab0cc1a

IMG_5280.thumb.JPG.d980dcddf8fa1c7014065

As anyone with a Detolf case knows; there is a hole in the top to allow a single light to mount there. I don't use a light in this socket, so it was perfect to mount GlaDOS to. Below is my very simple mounting mechanism haha:

IMG_5282.thumb.JPG.e5931a3e9dcf0c8f110bb

And then these gals hide the axle ;)

IMG_5281.thumb.JPG.f85005ed078aa4bfb2975

• Like 2