Suspicious Sellers / Listings on Ebay

TheGallows

If there's already ready a thread for this please feel free to move this.

Saw one of the newer guys had got stung by a fraudulent listing on Ebay the other day. Thought this would be a good idea for people to post here if they are unsure of a listing, or just to make fellow BP'rs aware. 

Anyway these two popped up last night.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-UCS-SET-/301753006234?hash=item4641e1789a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Mindstorms-EV3-31313-/181886118256?hash=item2a5941e970

Hi everyone need some advice. I won and action a few days ago and got an email from the seller, saying that he did not put the right postage and know he wants me to send him more money on PayPal to cover the cost of shipping. Should I or shouldn't i?

Hi everyone need some advice. I won and action a few days ago and got an email from the seller, saying that he did not put the right postage and know he wants me to send him more money on PayPal to cover the cost of shipping. Should I or shouldn't i?

I assume the shipping cost was mentioned in the item listing so it is the seller´s responsibility to check that, not yours. However, morally if you knew the shipping cost was too low you could offer to pay the extra amount but you are not obliged to and if they cancel the sale then be sure to inform ebay that you disagree and they will get a black mark on their account.

If you send the extra as payment to friends or family you have no protection if he keeps that money and doesn´t ship the item.

I have done this before when the buyer chose the wrong shipping method and asked for urgent but if it is my bad I swallow it.

just some extra background, the shipping for the listing was $3.99 but he wants an additional $11.55 for 3 video games

Does that seem reasonable to you? Do you live in an out-of-the-way area with a delivery surcharge?

If not, the original terms stand.

Edited by valenciaeric

I'm sorry but unless you're just wanting to donate to him, you don't owe anything more than the $3.99...

I'm going to agree with dcdfan.  The terms of the auction stands.  If he screwed up on the shipping, that's his problem, not yours.  You've met the terms of the auction, now he needs to meet the terms as well.

Why doesn't he just do it Media Mail?  It would cost a lot less.

• Like 1

$12 extra is pretty unreasonable. Just to clarify, it was an auction and not BIN?

BIN - I'd split the difference with them and send them $6 just cause karma.
Auction - They get nothing... many people put low shipping on auctions to make it more enticing to bid. It's the risk you take as the seller. Tough cookies.

Your choice of course but I would just politely word it such that the maximum price you bid was based on the shipping cost as posted in the auction and that you would not have purchased otherwise. Apologize, be sympathetic, and simply end with "I look forward to receiving the item." Don't threaten negative feedback .. but of course leave it if the seller doesn't come through.

• Like 4

Guest brickcrazyhouse

depending on you there are two different lessons the seller could learn.

1. you don't pay and the seller learns to double check all listings

2. you pay the extra shipping and the buyer learns someone else will fix their mistakes.

I just started selling stuff again on ebay after having horrible experiences years ago. I have undercharged for shipping 4 times now, but I have never asked the buyer to pay more. That is my lesson learned. I am much more attentive to how much something weighs and what kind of packaging I need to use rather than guessing and hoping I'm close.

http://www.ebay.es/sch/flohbrick/m.html?item=201446518693&hash=item2ee725efa5%3Ag%3AwVIAAOSwo0JWGZGw&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

This one will have a busy day packing tomorrow.

Not saying it is a suspicious seller, but it is interesting to see the current market value for a number of exclusive sets at auction the same day.

I won two of his auctions which should reduce shipping costs, like he stated in his auction. Let's see how reliable he is. I asked for a combined total order amount including shipping. Awaiting response.

Yeah, I had no issues with the seller, it was just to give a snapshot of market values while BP data is down. Pity she didn´t have an R2 to compare with the modular buildings´ performance.

Interesting to see that PS was the only non retired set to trade at above RRP......

Just to keep others that recall this listing abreast...I don't know where the OP for this listing went but the seller ended up selling 13 Kwik-E-Mart for $160 or less. The 9 other listings they also had have been removed & now have nothing for sale. I suspect the negatives will start coming in shortly...

eBay seller kaykaylgibs 10.20.15.jpg

Hi All

10188 DS - SCAM

Got caught out by this one myself, just going through the process of getting my money back.

Seller by the name of aja_pete, sold 6 x 10188 DS.  He obviously does not have the items as all 6 of us are now claiming back money.  Also all 6 of us have left neg feedback.

BEWARE