Lego Stats

jayhall31

I know some of you are into Fantasy Baseball, Football, etc.

I was curious if anyone out there keeps any kind of stats or logs? I guess the main thing that came to my head was something along the lines of a piece per minute stat. Simply meaning after opening your first bag, how many pieces can you put together per minute? I was wondering this while putting together 75082 Tie Advanced Prototype. I liked the set and everything, but seemed to be zooming through at a good clip. Although it did have a few repeat builds which made it easy. But that got me thinking if that is something to track or not? I mean it does take some brain power to be able to see what pieces are needed from the instructions, where they go, and then find it in a pile of 100 or so pieces and place it, and then do it again, right? I know I have looked over pieces time after time thinking to myself, did they even give me that piece because it's definitely not here. I will have to look back at the instructions, confirm the piece and color and eye the pile again.

On the other hand, I remember when I put together 75093 Death Star Final Duel, I wanted to take my time and I guess savor the build. The same goes with a few other sets, not necessarily just the larger sets, but after a few pieces or a section done, I would pick it up and really examine it to appreciate the building process. And sometimes the anticipation of buying a set, opening it, and building it are too overwhelming, then I just want to get through it so I can get to the next set I am anticipating opening. Sound weird? Sound familiar?

Anyway, the piece per minute was pretty much the only stat I came up with. Although I might sit down and try to think of a few more, if that is even possible. 

If anyone has anything else they track such as a certain piece, color, or whatever it may be I'd be interested to know what else is out there. And if I should have just Googled my answer and not wasted my time with this topic/post . . . whatever. 

I was curious if anyone out there keeps any kind of stats or logs?

<irony>Are you serious? You are in the middle of people dealing with thousands of little plastic pieces, packed in bags with specific numbers within boxes that if perfect shouldn't have any crease or even tear. People decypher seal codes (or at least try to), and read almost everything into sets not being available now and then. And then you ask if these people also like stats - like in statistics? </irony>

I guess the main thing that came to my head was something along the lines of a piece per minute stat. Simply meaning after opening your first bag, how many pieces can you put together per minute?

To be honest - I could think of all kinds of stats, and have, but this wasn't one of them. For one, I like to enjoy builds, but neither a high nor a low brick/minute stat correlates with that. And then it wouldn't be fun to even get to it. It's too easy. Time your build and divide by the number of bricks, which conveniently is even printed on the box. No fun in that. I simply don't see why I should do this.

Now, other stats are much more interesting to me. What comes to mind? Average price per brick in a set or theme. Average brick weight in sets. Average "lifetime" of sets, for different themes, price points and brick counts. Average sale numbers. Average price increases after EOL for certain themes. Predictions for outliers from aforementioned averages, in both directions. Or on a more personal note: ratio of own collection vs. investment value. Average past profit on investment, and from that some interval for expected profit for existing inventory, and that compared to own collection value (as bought, not current value). And data interesting to spouses: how much money has been spent on plastic minus return so far (total investment ever + collection - net value of sales).

<irony>Are you serious? You are in the middle of people dealing with thousands of little plastic pieces, packed in bags with specific numbers within boxes that if perfect shouldn't have any crease or even tear. People decypher seal codes (or at least try to), and read almost everything into sets not being available now and then. And then you ask if these people also like stats - like in statistics? </irony>

I understand that data is collected on sets, as I am a member of this website and keep track of my Brickfolio. I am trying to find out what outside of the investment/selling part of this people keep track of. I wasn't clear on that.

It's interesting but I do feel as though the monetization of Lego is where the stats are closely kept, and building is more like art than sports. An artist enjoys the process of making their work. People enjoy (or not) the result. Generally speaking, for the stat you mentioned, it's never how fast, though how long (and thus amount of effort) weighs into how much we may admire something.

Recently my wife said how she enjoyed building one set more than another and speculated it was how the instructions created a more rounded building experience by having her piece together a small car in different places as she went and said she thought maybe there was an art to instructions after all. I'm sure that, and the concepts you're proposing, are something Lego looks into internally, since they have the financial incentive, data resources, and Lego minds for it