Ship with Insurance - advice

trstnkn

Curious what other people do regarding purchasing additional insurance when shipping through USPS...

Do you always purchase additional insurance for items over $50?  

Do you pass along the cost to buyer?

Any insurance horror stories or "lessons learned" I should know about?

I've just started dipping my toe in the water with higher $$$ items, and I want to make sure I'm covered.

E.g. I was so scared to ship off a used Imperial Flagship last week.  (I purchased the insurance to cover the buyer's purchase price.)

Curious what other people do regarding purchasing additional insurance when shipping through USPS...

Do you always purchase additional insurance for items over $50?  

Do you pass along the cost to buyer?

Any insurance horror stories or "lessons learned" I should know about?

I've just started dipping my toe in the water with higher $$$ items, and I want to make sure I'm covered.

E.g. I was so scared to ship off a used Imperial Flagship last week.  (I purchased the insurance to cover the buyer's purchase price.)

I have only insured items that are sold for over $400 and the cost is built into the sales price. Fortunately, I haven't encounter any insurance related issues. It's up to your own risk tolerance to determine when insurance is necessary. 

Separately, items that are shipped via USPS Priority Mail are automatically insured for up to $100 $50.

Edited by brickinfinite
Wrong insurance amount. Thanks hepcatpunk & HappyHawkeye for the correction!

I have only insured items that are sold for over $400 and the cost is built into the sales price. Fortunately, I haven't encounter any insurance related issues. It's up to your own risk tolerance to determine when insurance is necessary. 

Separately, items that are shipped via USPS Priority Mail are automatically insured for up to $100.

I think priority is insured up to $50---after that, it's gonna cost you for add'l.

This is why I was confused. I used to be a top seller but not presently. 

"eBay Top Rated Sellers and Platinum and Titanium PowerSellers who use eBay Labels for Priority Mail services will now receive $100 worth of FREE insurance." The rest only gets $50 of free insurance. 

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/08/great-usps-news-especially-for-sellers-using-ebay-labels-free-insurance-faster-service-and-more/