Windows 10

TheOrcKing

With the release of Microsoft's latest operating system, who here is looking to upgrade or already has with something to say?

Already upgraded all the computers I have to Windows 10. It's a great improvement over 8 and 8.1, but I'm not sure how to compare it to Windows 7. I'm trying out all the new features on 10 and they are cool.

It took about 3h in all to download, install and configure. Some 3rd party software like zone alarm or defraggler was not compatible and my computer seems quite a bit slower as a result of the upgrade, especially when starting up and shutting down. I installed on top of 8.1 which had already been upgrades from 7 to 8 so maybe upgrading from a clean install of 7 would work better.

The most obvious changes are the search facility and the return to a classic start menu.

Edge seems faster than IE and firefox but has less functions.

It is also important to note that with 10 you give up a lot of control over content (windows update is now automatic and will download all upgrades whether you want them or not).

It may be a better idea to wait a few months until the first patches are released and devs have created fully W10 compatible software - I´ll probably go back to 8.1 on my second partition and make a clean install of 7 and then upgrade to 10 again next year once everything is ready.

Already upgraded all of mine, also upgraded the wife's cousins computer which had a very sluggish Win 7 home premium installation.

After some tweaks it's now booting in 15 seconds and shutting down in 10, not bad for a 1 Ghz processor with 3GB memory

Already upgraded all of mine, also upgraded the wife's cousins computer which had a very sluggish Win 7 home premium installation.

After some tweaks it's now booting in 15 seconds and shutting down in 10, not bad for a 1 Ghz processor with 3GB memory

Care to share the boot tweaks, please?

I usually wait until the first service pack is released to upgrade to the next operating system.  My wife's computer is so sluggish, I may go ahead and check it out there.  I've been using a classic start menu wrapper on my Windows 8 machine and it's worked fine for me.

Very basic stuff, uninstalling random software that hadn't been used and checking for items that were set to automatically run on boot.

In comparison Win 7 took around a minute and a half to be useable

Mie boots up fine till the password screen then it is a further 30 seconds till I see the desktop. There´s only the antivirus, firewall, audio and nvidia drivers that I can see.