What's an efficient way to hoard MOC components?

Ibis-2k12

As a kid I had a ton of Lego, but I've spent the last few years moving between many countries. I've finally settled down and I asked my parents to send my Lego bricks from the other side of the world to here, but I've missed out on many interesting releases. 

My favorite themes are Castle and Pirates, and I've always enjoyed doing Castle-themed MOCs as a kid. I was wondering, what could be an effective way to collect bricks that would be useful for Castle-themed MOCs? With the 2013 sets out of production their price is not very wallet friendly around here, and the older 2010 Kingdoms are even worse from that point of view. I could always hit Bricklink or some local store to buy bricks individually, but that sounds a bit difficult, especially now that I don't have many pieces available. I have 1x or 2x of the 2013 sets, and those that I have 1x I don't plan to take them apart, they'll sit nicely on my shelves.

Is there some set that you would suggest in order to collect many components that would be useful to have a starting point for Castle-themed MOCs? My local TRU has those "1000 pieces" kits at a very good price, but it would be hard for me to use most of those colors. So far the best bet seem to be used/second hand/open sets at a low price from Bricklink or local auction sites.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Taiwan!

Regular prices here are awful -.-

Bricklink is your best bet if you have specific pieces in mind... Many sellers on Bricklink might be willing to ship sets without the box to save on shipping costs as well. Never hurts to ask! As Grolim said, eBay for misc bulk lots may be OK but you'll never know exactly what you're getting. :)

My favorite themes are Castle and Pirates, and I've always enjoyed doing Castle-themed MOCs as a kid. I was wondering, what could be an effective way to collect bricks that would be useful for Castle-themed MOCs?

It would be neat if there was such a thing as a Castle themed 'brick bucket' with loads of masonry profile bricks among an assortment of other parts in light & dark gray. At this point in time with what is currently available out on store shelves, I can only echo what everyone else has already stated in trying Bricklink for what you require in bulk. I know a couple of the Minecraft sets do have a decent amount of gray bricks including the masonry ones but most are the bulky sort (2x2) and probably not what you need.

It would be neat if there was such a thing as a Castle themed 'brick bucket' with loads of masonry profile bricks among an assortment of other parts in light & dark gray. At this point in time with what is currently available out on store shelves, I can only echo what everyone else has already stated in trying Bricklink for what you require in bulk. I know a couple of the Minecraft sets do have a decent amount of gray bricks including the masonry ones but most are the bulky sort (2x2) and probably not what you need.

The Castle Brick Bucket would be amazing *-*

When I have some spare time during weekends I check out some small local stores to see if they have older sets at discounted prices, either for investment or for my own collection. Last week in a store they had a Whitecap Bay with a really ruined box, this week I'll go there again to talk with the owner and see if they can give me a better price. The building is made of bricks that fit perfectly for Castle MOCs, and since I like pirates as well I wouldn't mind about the minifigures and boats.