Removing Clearance/Price Stickers on Lego Sets - Discussion

deanearp

When I used a hair dryer to get the Lego Price Sticker off, it came right off, But there was still some rough glue on the box, so I used the Goo Gone on it and it was just a dap on a napkin and the paint from the box came off, so you have to watch when using Goo Gone.

Sometimes it depends on if the gloss finish on the boxes has been worn off.  If the gloss is still over the ink, the ink won't come off with Goo Gone.

• 2 months later...

What techniques you all use to remove price stickers (Walmart Clearance for instance :D)?

I want to keep the box as pristine as possible.

Also are there stickers from certain stores that are particularity hard to remove?

Thanks in advance!

My best method is use a hair dryer and a sharp razor blade to get the corner started.  When I used a hair dryer and my finger nail, I usually dented the box where the sticker was, just a little.  Using a razor blade to lift a corner or two works great.  I also use Goo Gone to cleanup any residue.

The hair dryer trick works great. Just make sure that you use the hair dryer on all parts of the sticker! The first time I did it, I got the corner of the sticker up and thought I was fine as the rest of the sticker was coming up pretty easily...I got to the end and the last part of the sticker came up too quickly and ripped the box!

• 7 months later...

So I get a lot of great deals at Meijer a big box store in the michigan ohio area. The problem is these sets often contain a very large markdown sticker about 2 inch square (see picture) that is near impossible to remove. The question is what to do with it for resale. Do I just leave the sticker on and hope the buyer does not care about the box or see they are paying twice the MSRP for a set I got for half of it? Or do I try and remove and leave a combination of sticky mess and ripped box art?

There stickers are a pain.  We used to buy there 52 pallet double stacked salvage loads and it was nightmare with there stickers.  I would either leave them as they will destroy the package or if you want to remove them from higher dollar sets get a bottle of Un-Du adhesive remover.  It will remove them (the Meijer ones still take patience) and the solution does not ruin the cardboard.  

Not sure about Meijer stickers, but I've had good luck with using a hairdryer to heat up the glue before removing labels. Works for shipping boxes/labels as well.

Granted, every time I have to do that with a big stack of clearance items, I try to talk myself out of buying anymore items in the future with stickers on them...then the next clearance comes around.

Besides the advice above, I'd say: don't leave price stickers on any item you sell, unless you happen to be selling it for LESS than the sticker price. You're asking for trouble, there are a fair few buyers out there who go all kinds of whack-a-mole when they think they've "overpaid". No, don't ask me to explain the logic, I have no idea. ;)

If you cannot remove the sticker, change the sticker - black out the price, put another sticker over the top with your store logo on it (of course photograph and describe whatever sticker you put there when you list it), etc.

• Like 1

Besides the advice above, I'd say: don't leave price stickers on any item you sell, unless you happen to be selling it for LESS than the sticker price. You're asking for trouble, there are a fair few buyers out there who go all kinds of whack-a-mole when they think they've "overpaid". No, don't ask me to explain the logic, I have no idea. ;)

If you cannot remove the sticker, change the sticker - black out the price, put another sticker over the top with your store logo on it (of course photograph and describe whatever sticker you put there when you list it), etc.

I like the sticker over idea. Some of these sets are small so spending half an hour to diligently remove a sticker for a $5 profit seems pointless. I will have to see if I can get something to cover it up like that. Obviously it won't be able to be sold as a mint box but it would be better than the pricetag that makes people feel like they are getting swindled or whatever.

Those orange Meijer stickers are a pain in the rear. Very different than Walmart or Target. Probably one of the worse offenders similar to Ross or Marshalls stickers. To be very honest, a small rip in the box isn't going to effect the value of a set. Like Justafrog said, whatever you do just describe the box properly. I sell tons of damaged box lego on ebay for almost the same as the going price. For instance I just sold a slightly crushed box Ghost Train for $99 this morning even though most that have sold over the last week have gone for around $90.

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased a few investment-worthy Lego sets from a local retailer. The boxes were in excellent condition, however, in the top-right corner of the front-surface of the box was a large sticker featuring the text "ONLY 49.99".

Coincidentally, I thought I would begin some discussion on the topic of price-stickers from an investor's point of view. I begin by asking, what do you do when you purchase a set that has a price-sticker on it? Do you peel away the sticker, cover it up in some way or leave the sticker as it is on the box?