Labels for Lego Parts storage

lostalotalegos

Hi All...  

I caught the Lego bug after my 6 year old spotted a Star Destroyer on sale at Target about 8 months ago that he thought was "really cool".  Anyways that was the beginning of the end and I've unfortunately lost most of my self control and now have a house full of Legos, quite a few sealed sets in the basement, and probably a couple hundred pounds or more of assorted random legos partially organized lol.  In the interim I've Bricklinked a 10179 and am now working my way through a Death Star II (also brinklinked).

I'm now trying to get a bit more serious about organizing everything to cut down on the endless searching so on to my question...

Have any of you put together storage labels for your parts?  I started organizing by color but have now come to the same conclusion that others have that organizing by part type is more efficient.  So, I've started putting together some labels (up to about 90 or so so far) and then the thought struck me that others must have gone through this process already. 

What I am doing is putting them all on a powerpoint file and then plan to print them out and cut them to fit the storage drawers I have.  

Does anyone here have labels they can share to help with the organization?

Thanks a million for a great forum!

Thanks BrickMarket! Yes I have seen Tom Alphin's website and am salivating over his wonderful labels, but I don't have a Brother labelmaker, and was hoping I could just print out something on PowerPoint or a PDF file, and unfortunately he does not have his labels in that format. Thanks again!

Thanks BrickMarket! Yes I have seen Tom Alphin's website and am salivating over his wonderful labels, but I don't have a Brother labelmaker, and was hoping I could just print out something on PowerPoint or a PDF file, and unfortunately he does not have his labels in that format. Thanks again!

Unfortunately, you need either Visual FoxPro or Brother's P-Touch label software to open them and print them to a PDF. Neither are free. You could always try asking Tom if he could provide PDF copies of the labels? He's pretty receptive to user feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went ahead and created my own labels for parts storage using PowerPoint, mostly using the graphics from Bricklink.  They are pretty basic and not nearly as nice as the ones I've seen from Tom Alphin, but at least I can print them out without a special printer.  

I thought I'd share them here on the off chance someone else might find them useful.  There are currently about 500 distinct labels (each should be about 0.5" x 1").  

My next project will be to organize them into the exact spaces I will be using on my storage system.  I have 5 of the Acro-Mils 44 drawer cabinets (less than $25/each on Jet right now) and a ton of shoebox sized plastic boxes for the more common parts.  If anyone is interested, I'll post my final configuration when I get that far...

Lego Labels v1.pptx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...