First Ebay Sale

maestro

You can, but not recommended.  Paying for shipping, the tracking numbers, etc... all that is evidence that you delivered the item.  You could meet him in person, and give it to him (along with a shipping credit)... maybe even get his signature on a receipt... but he can still go home and report to ebay that you never delivered the item.  Best to stick with the program... especially if you are just starting out.

• Like 1

You can, but not recommended.  Paying for shipping, the tracking numbers, etc... all that is evidence that you delivered the item.  You could meet him in person, and give it to him (along with a shipping credit)... maybe even get his signature on a receipt... but he can still go home and report to ebay that you never delivered the item.  Best to stick with the program... especially if you are just starting out.

Thank you for the good advice. By the time I've lost percentage on Paypal, paid eBay fees and P & P I'm only in about $38 profit on MF 7965. Oh well!

That's good money. My first 30 ebay sales rarely touched US$20 profit... and many were under $1!

That's reassuring! Perhaps there's a formula for working out your selling price, making a decent profit after fees etc and yet still being attractive to the buyer.

Congrats - $38 is good.  L:ook at it as a percent of what you bought and sold and if that $38 represents a 30% return on your investment... well compare that to a savings account and you will feel happy with the result.  . 

Thanks legoray01. Do I simply put the buyer's name and address on the box or should I put a receipt inside the package? 

Not sure what is common practice over there in Ireland.  When I sell on Amazon, I always include a packing slip (receipt). When I sell on ebay, Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.  If it looks like the buyer is the recipient, I usually do.  If it looks like the shipping address is a different name / address than the buyer, I sometimes assume that it may be a gift and I do not put in a receipt. I haven't yet had a complaint either way. In my mind, if a buyer really wants a receipt, they should ask for one... or they could always request one later.

If someone doesn't want a receipt, they usually tell you so. I think it's the sellers responsibility to send a receipt. I know I get irritated when a receipt isn't included as there have been times when I've ordered multiple copies of the same item from different sellers or sources...I think you're more likely to get a positive feedback if the buyer doesn't have to play detective...

I have printed up a type of receipt. Very basic.

When setting up an auction on eBay with a reserve price is it true that eBay charges the same percentage whether the item sells or not?

Where you print shipping label there's a "print packing slip" option...

• Like 1

Congratulations, we all have to start somewhere. A bit of advice that is valid for new sellers with 0 feedback on ebay is to do some transactions on lower cost items to build up feedback before moving on to sell A1 items like the MF.

Also, avoid using auctions at the beginning, especially with low starting prices or reserves that just annoy people, as there is the risk of losing a lot of money if noone bids (especially this time of the year)  - BIN with best offer is a safer solution.

Paypal seller protection (for what its worth) requires proof of shipment (and deliver)y over a certain amount so best avoid local delivery unless the deal can be done w/o paypal.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 2

Under Selling Reminders it says "I need to post 1 item. Purchase and print postage label"

However, I can't seem to locate where to purchase and print this label

I'm not at home so going from memory look for a header that says selling & click, scroll down & there's a blue box that says print label, click that & inside there it'll have a print packing slip button which will open another window to print receipt. After you print receipt close window & return to ship. There you should be able to choose shipping options...if memory serves...
  • Like 1

You don't need to print a label from ebay. Just follow your courier's directions for preparing a shipment. You will probably need to print a label from there.

For the packing slip, click on Order Details in ebay. On the right you will see Printer Version. Click that and print the packing slip from there.

Edited by tractorboy

@maestro... Perhaps your UK / euro friends might be more help... here in USA, on my ebay page at the top right corner there are the words "My Ebay", an icon of a bell, and a shopping cart.  When I've sold something, the bell turns orange (or red?). Click on it and a small window drops down saying, "You've sold the 7965 MF!  SHIP NOW..."  (Maybe for you it says "POST NOW"?)... anyway, when I click on the words "SHIP NOW" it takes me directly the page where you can print the shipping label and pay for postage. (this will work this way whether or not I offer free shipping).

Another option,  also from "My Ebay" page, on the left most column there is "Selling Manager". Below that find "Sold". Click that and you will see a list of items that you recently sold. On each item at the far right column ("Actions") there is a small drop down menu where you can choose, Leave feedback, Print Shipping Label, Add Tracking Number, etc.