Brick & Mortar vs Online

I see tons of postings on here of people driving around to Walmarts, Targets, Kmarts, Fry's, etc etc to save 10% or 20% off advertised price which is sometimes inflated. Why do people do this? You can easily get better deals online from the comforts of your home and you can buy massive quantities versus the limited supply on the shelves at the stores. Am I missing something?

Also, any serious reseller with a fair amount of cash, why not just reachout to the fulfillment centers at Amazon and negotiate a better price if you buy 100x a month, or whatever it may be. I did this out of Avondale, AZ on the 60051, I purchased 100 on June 11th, it took several phone calls from Kentucky to NJ to AZ to finally get them to negotiate. I got them for under $95/ea.

Another opportunity is eBay, people list legos 1 at a time, but you click on the item and they have 10+. Good example is 75052 Cantina -- listed at $64.99ea w/ Best offer. I offered $45 to buy all 14 and seller accepted - free shipping too. Another good one is the Holiday sets, 10199, people have lots of quantities listed and right now not many people are buying these, I picked up 20 total from 3 sellers for $175-$183/ea in March.  Just a few examples.

My opinion is there are way better deals out there then driving around to stores and the quantity is so limited.

There's two main positives when hitting up local stores, first is the tax write off, from using fuel/time etc. Secound, the discounts you generally find in stores are impossible to find online. Sometimes the local stores have up to 75% off and entirely not advertised so the only way to know is to check. It also helps to know the stores because some offer discounts regularly, others don't. It's totally hit and miss but the feeling you get when you come across a Lego set either long retired or marked down to such a ridiculous price is priceless.

• Like 1

It really depends on what part of the country you are from.  Some Walmarts, Targets and TRUs have substantial discounts on clearance items.  I know I use mostly online stores to buy my collection, but that is because in Central NJ, there really are no discounts to be found.  

Thank you for all the replies. I understand where you guys are all coming from and if you are buying for your collection or just a few (under 5) then maybe going to stores is a better option, BUT what do the big resellers on here do? Do they go to stores? Or do they pick the phone up and call Amazon to make negotiations, I know this takes time, but if we use the 60051 as an example, if you can pick 100-500 of them up for $94.99, isn't this a better approach then buying 5 for $119 or $110? I understand a lot of individuals don't have the $ to drop 10k on one set...but what if you did it in a group of 5, you could get the $94.99 price and only buy 20. I might be different than most the enthusiasts here, i'm just here to strategize better deals in large bulk to get the best possible deal and to make CASH. I don't open them. I don't play with them. Just a flipper.

Anyone else on here like this??

Thank you for all the replies. I understand where you guys are all coming from and if you are buying for your collection or just a few (under 5) then maybe going to stores is a better option, BUT what do the big resellers on here do? Do they go to stores? Or do they pick the phone up and call Amazon to make negotiations, I know this takes time, but if we use the 60051 as an example, if you can pick 100-500 of them up for $94.99, isn't this a better approach then buying 5 for $119 or $110? I understand a lot of individuals don't have the $ to drop 10k on one set...but what if you did it in a group of 5, you could get the $94.99 price and only buy 20. I might be different than most the enthusiasts here, i'm just here to strategize better deals in large bulk to get the best possible deal and to make CASH. I don't open them. I don't play with them. Just a flipper.

There are no flippers here.  They are the lowest of the low.  None here.  Not one.  Nada. :jester:

• Like 3

Of the last 24 sets I've had delivered (everything from the massive Tower Bridge down to the tiny Creator Emerald Express) only 1 has not been crushed to the point where I wouldn't have to mention it in the title description.  Amazon, Target... even LEGO Shop at Home have shipped crushed boxes - stuff that was crushed even before it got into the outer shipping box.  If you want collector quality stuff you need to go a store and pick them by hand.  It may not matter on a city train set.

I enjoy the box art on my Slave 1 and don't care for creases down the middle.

I buy online as well as in store. Buying online gives me close to zero satisfaction. Buying in a physical store or shop gives me alot of satisfaction. Hence, finding that special, unique and retired set at RRP in a remote little toyshop or hidden treasures in a craig's list deal is the ultimate high. Yes, I like the money I earn. But if this would only come from online purchases I think I would get bored and slowly quit this hobby. Trading, buying and selling is in my blood. "Free enterprise" at its best.

• Like 2

I've never made a serious run at doing large deals with Amazon, but may try after reading your post.  However, I am skeptical about your story because it is not consistent with anything about how Amazon does business.  I have never seen or heard anything about Amazon that would suggest that they have any interest in operating as a wholesaler.  As for online vs. B&M, it really doesn't have to be one or the other.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  It is easier to build a much larger inventory of a single item through online purchases, but more difficult to do so at a significant discount, which means you have to pick your targets carefully and be prepared to go all in as soon as a good deal emerges.  It is more difficult to build a larger inventory of a single item through B&M purchases, but is much easier to buy smaller quantities of a wider range of items at much steeper discounts than through online purchases.  For me, I can count on one hand the number of items that I purchased online in the last year for 50% or more off of MSRP, but can't for items that I purchased 50+ copies of.  The exact opposite is true for B&M purchases.  

I've never made a serious run at doing large deals with Amazon, but may try after reading your post.  However, I am skeptical about your story because it is not consistent with anything about how Amazon does business.  I have never seen or heard anything about Amazon that would suggest that they have any interest in operating as a wholesaler.  As for online vs. B&M, it really doesn't have to be one or the other.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  It is easier to build a much larger inventory of a single item through online purchases, but more difficult to do so at a significant discount, which means you have to pick your targets carefully and be prepared to go all in as soon as a good deal emerges.  It is more difficult to build a larger inventory of a single item through B&M purchases, but is much easier to buy smaller quantities of a wider range of items at much steeper discounts than through online purchases.  For me, I can count on one hand the number of items that I purchased online in the last year for 50% or more off of MSRP, but can't for items that I purchased 50+ copies of.  The exact opposite is true for B&M purchases.  

Thank you for your response. I wasn't a believer on Amazon either...and it took a while, but its true and if you search ebay you will see people like "NEW-SEALED" selling tons of amazon items cheaper on ebay than you can buy on amazon - yet they come in AMAZON boxes...that's how I started on the 60051..I bought one on ebay from "NEW-SEALED" Niko and it came in an amazon box with an invoice of $94.99. The rest I found out on my own after tons of calls to different fulfillment centers and trying to search linkden to find people who worked for fulfillment centers. It paid off, finally, but it takes serious coin to get a good price. I'm trying to work on Batman 10937 deal with them. 100 for $245 this is the offer im purposing. We will see.

Amazon's terms explicitly state that they don't such deals (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201125450) and, to top it off, you say that you're proposing to buy from Amazon 100 copies of a set that has been retired for 6 months and isn't even available directly from Amazon.  I don't know what your angle is, but I don't believe you.  

Edited by Grolim
Toned down the Ad Hominem a little, robust debate is good, but keep it civil.
  • Like 1

Amazon's terms explicitly state that they don't such deals (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201125450) and, to top it off, you say that you're proposing to buy from Amazon 100 copies of a set that has been retired for 6 months and isn't even available directly from Amazon.  I don't know what your angle is, but I don't believe you.  

No problem, im not here to prove anything. Just was asking why people don't do this more or team up and do it if $10-30k is to much. Also, you said Amazon doesn't offer the 60051 - you are wrong, they do.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Trains-High-speed-Passenger-Building/dp/B00J4S6PGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436150924&sr=8-1&keywords=Lego+60051

My purchase with Amazon took place on Wed June 17th.

It's pretty clear Amazon does do this in large quantities, surfing ebay you can see tons of others who use this same approach.

P.S. - Amazon may state they don't do it, but money talks, especially if they are sitting on large quantities. Ebay states you cannot buy FRONT PAGE access, but you can. Ebay also says you cant pay for more exposure, you can. It just takes time and constant pursuit.

Enjoy your night.

You spent hours on the phone to get 100 of a set at 36.7% off, kudos for putting in the effort and getting a seemingly "impossible" discount.

I drove 3 miles a couple times a week to pick up 86 of a set at 70% off earlier this year. This deal was not available online.

The Cantina score was pretty lucky, no idea why someone with 14 of them would sell at the price they probably paid themselves, other than poor money management skills or actual emergency. But yeah, you can ask and get some great deals once in a while.

As for seasonal sets, we all know WV stuff is hot in general. I hope the prices you quoted were for sealed Toy Shops (because that's no flip at all for used ones) but I certainly never saw near that quantity available at that price and I look multiple times a week.

But like others have said, there are deals to be had by all manner of acquisition. An hour or two on this website will certainly prove that with ease.

---see Niko thread

personally, the New-Sealed if is true, there are easier ways to make $10 a sale

Justapilgrim - $10 on just that one item w/ no shipping involved. I'm sure he profits nicely on other items he sells. Bulk buying allows for better prices. I don't know Niko at all. Just going off an item I purchased from him with an invoice cheaper from Amazon then the public could get on the site.

No problem, im not here to prove anything. Just was asking why people don't do this more or team up and do it if $10-30k is to much. Also, you said Amazon doesn't offer the 60051 - you are wrong, they do.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Trains-High-speed-Passenger-Building/dp/B00J4S6PGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436150924&sr=8-1&keywords=Lego+60051

My purchase with Amazon took place on Wed June 17th.

It's pretty clear Amazon does do this in large quantities, surfing ebay you can see tons of others who use this same approach.

P.S. - Amazon may state they don't do it, but money talks, especially if they are sitting on large quantities. Ebay states you cannot buy FRONT PAGE access, but you can. Ebay also says you cant pay for more exposure, you can. It just takes time and constant pursuit.

Enjoy your night.

Read my post again...I said Amazon didn't sell 10937. The fact that your chasing a deal for a long-gone set is what undermines your credibility. If you're on the level, why don't you tell us the name of the person or department at Amazon that you deal with for your large deals?

First you call me a liar. Now you want a hand out?

Start like I did -- fulfillment center, 1850 Mercer Road, Lexington, Ky

Person who was able to get me some other fulfillment numbers was Troy. 

Grynn - I bought all sealed copies. I'll start checking out some local stores for good deals. I just like LARGE quantities. One listing and a high price - pay to get it featured on ebay and be top rated seller -- helps a lot. If it cost me 10% per item sold to have front page access for the item, then I just raise the item 20% higher to cover.

Edited by Bold-Arrow
removed phone number for privacy reasons

Grynn - I bought all sealed copies. I'll start checking out some local stores for good deals. I just like LARGE quantities. One listing and a high price - pay to get it featured on ebay and be top rated seller -- helps a lot. If it cost me 10% per item sold to have front page access for the item, then I just raise the item 20% higher to cover.

The fact is 10937 (Arkham Asylum) is no longer available at retail. Did you perhaps type the wrong set number?

Before we go down the wrong road, perhaps let's just clear up this single point if you don't mind.

If you really did manage to source some deals from Amazon, good for you... There are a lot of folks around here who are skeptical of how the Niko's of eBay obtain their merch. On that invoice from the one you purchased, was it addressed to you or Niko?

I love to drive to Meijer at 6:00 am every January. I stop at the same gas station for coffee and play the same CD every year. It is fun, relaxing and like others said, there is the thrill of not knowing what awaits you inside the doors ( especially at the first stop).

TRU is no different when they had the 20% coupon on clearance plus TRUTH, cant beat that. 

And for the heck of it, I drove all over the state once :)

Edited by Bold-Arrow
  • Like 3

Ha. Just seeing how far of a hole you'd dig yourself into to keep it up. I notice you still have no response on 10937. Regardless, I don't need a handout...I'm intrigued by what you're saying, but have my sources to confirm whether Amazon does what you claim they do.