Ebay New required UPC Codes for July

Brickshopper

With the changes to selling new items at ebay requiring upc codes to list or relist items I thought it might be helpful to discuss the new policy and problems. These changes go into effect June 30th. Also if a member or group of members want to volunteer to start a master list of lego upc codes it could be very helpful to members...

• Like 1

I had that problem yesterday, trying to list minifigures.  I didn't put in a UPC, and it let me "bypass" but told me there was an error.  Not sure if it won't post the item for sale if you do not have the UPC at all, but it's going to be a problem/issue if they won't let you post at all without a UPC.

Being on vacation made me miss that change. So, u new upc to sell new sets? And for used ones?

For used I'm assuming we're to use the drop down box something along the lines of "not applicable" or something I can't remember at the moment...

Looks like there are programs that will convert the Amazon ASIN into the UPC. Easily can print a UPC with a basic thermal printer from there. Might be the simplest solution.

Why would you need to print a UPC code? You just need to enter it as part of the information about the item you're selling in certain categories. I hesitate to say, but this could be an attempt to stop people from listing fake stuff in a category such as LEGO. Fake stuff will have no UPC code.

I was thinking if you are listing something with a UPC code, but mailed an item without one it could potentially be a headache for the seller. The buyer could easily argue "item not as described" and would likely win.

I believe the main reason for this change is to better facilitate searches. If you search a UPC on Amazon you get quick and concise results. Ebay results are quite poor.

I do not see what the big deal is.  You type in a UPC code when you have it, and select "does not apply" when you do not have it

Yeah, well...sometimes I don't hit that down arrow, eh?

In all seriousness though, I was expecting this to be an issue.  Decided to list something tonight, and in the pull down for UPC there is a selection of "Does Not Apply."   Quick, easy, done.  This really is a non-issue.

UPC can easily be googled... I am not sure if that deters any seller behavior other than produce more accurate search results... that is if buyers are searching by UPC in the first place... which I think majority of people don't...

people may not search by UPC but its is a good way for search engines to index things.  UPC has manufacture codes as well as can help match similar product lines, often itmes of the same line have UPCs that are pretty close (clothes of different sizes or colors are one case).  Further it is likely that ebay wants to release a UPC scanning app like amazon has. 

This will do little to nothing to deter scammers, but it will help ebay up its search result quality and app tools.

people may not search by UPC but its is a good way for search engines to index things.  UPC has manufacture codes as well as can help match similar product lines, often itmes of the same line have UPCs that are pretty close (clothes of different sizes or colors are one case).  Further it is likely that ebay wants to release a UPC scanning app like amazon has. 

This will do little to nothing to deter scammers, but it will help ebay up its search result quality and app tools.

They're also easy to find on Brickset with a simple search.

If you read that lovely link provided above, one person is also claiming that it will make it easier for manufacturers to find listings they don't approve of... Not sure I agree with that line of thinking but it most certainly gives them the power to do more search result ranking and internally track what products are being sold.

Also, I'm not sure if UPC is in the data Jeff and Ed get from Terapeak, but it's another way that someone could potentially enhance their data mining. If a UPC and title don't seem to match, it's a record that could be flagged for review.

The thing is that eBay couldn't care less if it causes a few extra steps for sellers... so many people now "depend" on eBay for buying and selling that they can get away with implementing these kinds of rules.