Selling used Technic sets, list them assembled or not?

Hi all,

I recently bought a bunch of used Technic sets for a good price with the intention of flipping them. I've taken them apart to clean where necessary and to make 100% sure all parts are present.

Now I was wondering whether it's better to list them as assembled or not. Personally I would rather build a set myself if I buy one but I see a lot of assembled sets being sold. I guess the advantage of selling an assembled set is that the pictures look better than sorted bags but it would take extra time to rebuild them of course.

What are your experiences regarding this? Do assembled sets sell faster or for more money because of the convenience factor? Or isn't it much of an issue at all?

My experiences: The majority of customers prefers disassembled sets (because of the reasons you already mentioned). I think, too, that selling the set assembled or not is not that much of an issue. Whereas the price is ;)

​Thanks for your insights! I'll sell them as disassembled sets then.

Best if they were originally assembled (& somewhat correctly), would be to give them a cursory wash & photograph them before disassembling them & verifying/cleaning the inventory.  Most folks expect them to be disassembled for cheaper more compact shipping, but it's always nice to see the assembled version when looking at an add.  it's a good idea to mention in the add that they will be shipped disassembled thou as some unscrupulous folks will try the old "they were assembled in the pictures" to try & snake a refund from you.

Hi all,

I recently bought a bunch of used Technic sets for a good price with the intention of flipping them. I've taken them apart to clean where necessary and to make 100% sure all parts are present.

Now I was wondering whether it's better to list them as assembled or not. Personally I would rather build a set myself if I buy one but I see a lot of assembled sets being sold. I guess the advantage of selling an assembled set is that the pictures look better than sorted bags but it would take extra time to rebuild them of course.

What are your experiences regarding this? Do assembled sets sell faster or for more money because of the convenience factor? Or isn't it much of an issue at all?

​Sell disassembled and mention it in the ad if you post a photo of the assembled item (see ebay fruitcake thread). Apart from above reasons, assembled items run the risk of thin parts like F1 car suspension arms getting broken under unexpected load. The bummer is when the stickers are placed over multiple pieces and get ruined.