Seller Used My Photos

tabolton314

So why not just use stock pictures ? 9 out of 10 they look better and easier to search for anyway

​Because a large part of my eBay strategy is happy customers, and that includes accurate descriptions and pictures of the box they're going to receive.  I want to minimize SNAD defects and returns.  The #1 best way to do this is post good, detailed, and many photos of the box, seals, edges, and any problems like creases, folds, or scratches.   That way, no surprises for the buyer.  Stock photos = complaints about box condition.  It happens to all of us; the only way to prevent it is good pics of the actual item.

In fact, these kind of good photos take time, and I consider them a competitive advantage when posting an auction. 

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 3

​Because a large part of my eBay strategy is happy customers, and that includes accurate descriptions and pictures of the box they're going to receive.  I want to minimize SNAD defects and returns.  The #1 best way to do this is post good, detailed, and many photos of the box, seals, edges, and any problems like creases, folds, or scratches.   That way, no surprises from the buyer.  Stock photos = complaints about box condition.  It happens to all of us; the only way to prevent it is good pics of the actual item.

In fact, these kind of good photos take time, and I consider them a competitive advantage when posting an auction. 

​100% in agreement with you. I still want to hear 10230's answer to my question, though :)

• Like 1

​ There are such incredibly easy ways to thwart your photos being used. Watermarks, ebay names, etc. I don't do any of these, because it just doesn't really matter to me if my picture is "stolen". It's a picture of a box. The same picture that can be found in dozens of other places on the internet.

The outrage, as someone stated earlier, is best saved for something that really matter.

There are also incredibly easy ways to not steal photos that you don't have permission to use.  The onus isn't on sellers to watermark their photos (which I think looks cheesy in most instances).  The onus is on people not to take property that isn't theirs and do whatever they want with it.  Some of the arguments diminishing the illegality of photo stealing are exactly the same arguments people who steal my non-eBay photos come up with, when I politely ask them to take down my IP.  They say there's no copyright note on the picture, so it's not copyrighted, they argue fair use (in non-fair use situations)...some even act like they are doing me a huge favor by getting my name out there (if they include a credit, which still doesn't allow them to use my photo without permission).  Some just curse at me.  These days, I normally just file a DMCA complaint and let the webhost/website deal with it.

Also, KShine reminded me of the thing that annoyed me the most when other sellers were using my photos/descriptions.  When someone makes a carbon copy of your listing and a buyer looks at both of your auctions, they immediately get suspicious when two different seller IDs with different locations have identical custom photos and text.  They are very likely to avoid both at that point.  I don't believe for a second that it was just coincidence that my sales of a hot item dropped to near nothing when another seller copied my photo/description, then picked back up 3 days later, when eBay finally ended their auction.

​ There are such incredibly easy ways to thwart your photos being used. Watermarks, ebay names, etc. I don't do any of these, because it just doesn't really matter to me if my picture is "stolen". It's a picture of a box. The same picture that can be found in dozens of other places on the internet.

The outrage, as someone stated earlier, is best saved for something that really matter.

People, including me, have mentioned that our watermarked pics have been stolen. Maybe you missed those parts.

Again, if someone can't see the issue other might have of spending a bunch of time taking multiple pictures and making a complete listing, only to have some turd burglar with 85% feedback copy-paste 100% of it, then under-cut you by 10%, I wouldn't know what else to tell that person. I just don't see how that can require any more explanation as to why it is undesirable.

Edited by mscheaf
  • Like 1