How to build your sealed set while retaining the most value

diablo2112

Carpet was just for the quick pic, and I don't own pets.  I've posted pics of my storage racks a few months back if you're more interested.

My sales experience has been pretty good using this method.  I have several data points, including sales of CC, MS, and 8043 in this "reconstituted" condition.  In each case, I've gotten about 20-30% higher than used prices.  My reconstituted 8043 sold for $400; while my CL lot 8043, no box and instructions, went for $260; my reconstituted MS sold at $1400; I sold 2 other MS w/box and instructions at $950 and $1050 (BTW, many of these sales were also posted here for trade).  CC has been even better: I have 3 sales of used CC with box/instructions and they averaged about $1200; my reconstituted CC brought $1800.  I can only guess that seeing kits in original bags, carefully packed, appeals to some buyers.

Communication is super-easy.  The pics speak for themselves.   When looking at used sets, good pics and condition are everything.  

Buy hey, this is all optional.  If you don't want to go through the hassle, by all means, don't bother.  My intent was simple, to show some of things you can do to preserve value, and it works.  Glad to see I'm not alone in keeping original bags, etc.

• Like 2

Some good tips, thanks.

In general, time = money.  You probably will eke out a few extra dollars by saving the plastic bags and photo-documenting the whole process.  But the time you will spend doing that could be spent on other endeavors (building something else or buying/selling to make more $, for example).  This strategy to maximize value on used sets ultimately will take more time, so it's a matter of how much time you have and how you choose to spend it.  

(Also, refer back to the CAGR discussion on quick flip vs. long-term hold, and note that your stance there is that quick flipping is too much work.  So that is too much work, but saving & taking pictures of bags isn't?  Conclusion:  to each his own.)

• Like 3

To be fair, I didn't say QFLL was too much work.  I said long term hold compared to selling and then reinvesting in multiple sets was a better strategy for me.  That's not QFLL.  That's QFLL + rebuy of a worthy set near EOL at the same time, then rinse and repeat.  Quite a different circumstance.  I do occasionally QFLL when the opportunity arises; I sold quite a few Speed Champions this Spring at a reasonable markup.  

And for the record, what I've suggested doesn't take that much time.  It really doesn't.  I can break down and repack a set into original bags with just a bit more time than breaking down a set and putting them into ziplocks.  It might take me 30 minutes to break down a modular; I can do the same and repackage into bags in maybe 35 minutes.   Similarly, building a set doesn't take much longer.  It's about the planning and prep.  Having scissors and my digital camera handy to take pics.  The additional time investment is pretty much negligible.  I'd suggest you give it a try on a future kit, you'll find it's really not much more effort; it's more having the plan and knowing what you want to do (especially, carefully opening bags when you build and saving them - that's not a time sink, just a planning issue).

Edited by diablo2112

This thread makes me chuckle a bit. To each their own I guess, but I think you need to let yourself have fun sometimes without worrying about this kinda stuff so much. Sure you can go to great lengths to minimize your losses on opening a set but what's the point of having extra money if you never let yourself have fun with it? 

I only open and build sets that I know I will want to display for years to come. "Impulse" building is a dangerous thing and must be avoided. :) I almost always download the instructions and build using the computer. Not only does it keep the instructions minty, I think it's easier to see on the computer anyway. I agree on not applying stickers unless the stickers are an integral part of the set and would look weird displayed without them. I don't know about saving the plastic bags and rebagging using the instructions. I have never seen a set advertised like this on ebay and I don't see how it would affect the resell value much at all. If you advertise a complete set with all pieces, box, instructions, and stickers that's good enough for 99.9% of buyers.  

• Like 1

What about building the set inside the box, kind of like those ships in a bottle? I think that would probably help the resell value, as you could state that the seals are not intact, but the set was never taken out of the original box?

Just a thought...............

• Like 3

What about building the set inside the box, kind of like those ships in a bottle? I think that would probably help the resell value, as you could state that the seals are not intact, but the set was never taken out of the original box?

Just a thought...............

​+1 for ridiculousness

Some good tips, thanks.

In general, time = money.  You probably will eke out a few extra dollars by saving the plastic bags and photo-documenting the whole process.  But the time you will spend doing that could be spent on other endeavors (building something else or buying/selling to make more $, for example).  This strategy to maximize value on used sets ultimately will take more time, so it's a matter of how much time you have and how you choose to spend it.  

(Also, refer back to the CAGR discussion on quick flip vs. long-term hold, and note that your stance there is that quick flipping is too much work.  So that is too much work, but saving & taking pictures of bags isn't?  Conclusion:  to each his own.)

​I fully agree. I think it would be awesome to buy a used set that was bagged like a factory set, but I don't think it's worth the extra time and energy reverse building it. For that matter, I usually don't sell used sets with the box, even if I have them. I'm in the west coast, shipping a bigger used set with the box can be  3 x more than without. It depends on quite a few variables, but I haven't been able to get my money out of shipping w/ the original box. 

I like the idea of the downloaded instructions, I've never thought of doing that.

I Used to keep all the plastic bags but now don't bother.  I definitely don't use the stickers though if I know it's a set I have a decent probability of selling in the furture.

• 2 months later...

I have several sets in their boxes and ready to go.  I bought them for my son and I to build.  I wish I had your fortitude to wait and wait, but I just have always wanted some of these sets and can't wait to enjoy the fun of building them with my son!  I would rather live and enjoy the ride than miss that memory I guess.  I will take the hit on the value.  Of course, I will use all your knowledge and preserve all that I can (bags, boxes, spare parts, etc) in the meticulous manner you have suggested.  I am OCD so that is not a problem!

Thanks for the advice and post!

P.S.  I always download copies of the instructions from Lego and use color prints of those to build so the originals stay original.  I then seal the originals in vacuum bags for preservation.  Just a thought.

Edited by TCSBGDADY
  • Like 1